Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Medicine Man

Re: Politics 101

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Jez wrote:Lovely principles that got left behind when the civilised world let big business do the shot calling for them. Of course the country needs to be looked at as a business! This whole thread is an echo chamber about how shit the economy is getting etc etc etc. All sorts of things that would massively benefit from being treated as a business. The first step is government employing people that understand this and have the intelligence to pull on many different areas of advice to come to sensible decisions on how tax payers money is spent.

Employ them and pay them well for it.

Pay peanuts...get monkeys.

Or

Buy cheap...buy twice. If you want another saying that I've found true over the years

Look at it the other way: rather than paying MPs more, what if we paid them the bare minimum required to live in London (still probably more than I'm on). Who would that attract? Definitely not anyone wanting to make a fortune. It would, however, attract people who aren't bothered about being rich but are bothered about making a difference to their country. The latter would be the only real motivating reason to take the job. And if you think that would only attract hapless goons then I disagree in the strongest terms. Not everyone who is highly skilled is bothered about being rich, and in a competitive environment where money isn't a factor, the skilled rise above the unskilled.

Also, anything that forces the current batch of Eton shits to quit politics forever is a positive thing.

I don't think having "a shred of fuckin humanity" and being a good business person are mutually exclusive.

No, but business will always put business first, not people.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 pm

That's lovely. Maybe we should give communism another go. Maybe it'll work this time :lol:

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, don't even go down that route mate.

We have never 'given communism a go' and nobody here has even remotely suggested that.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Jez wrote:That's lovely. Maybe we should give communism another go. Maybe it'll work this time :lol:

No, you’re right, we should pay politicians every penny we can spare and everything will work out great. :?

Photos!

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm

I don't think the bare minimum wage would work though. The people I see happy not being rich always seem to be hippies and I wouldn't want to trust them with governing whatever area their in :lol:

I don't think offering them more money would work either as I could very ignorant here but what work does an actual MP do? They have people that report to them of what work they've done and just say it in the commons or in interviews etc. I could see many seeing it as a easy ticket. And I don't think we need more of them than we have the now either :lol:

I don't see how it could be fix.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Mantis wrote:Yeah, don't even go down that route mate.

We have never 'given communism a go' and nobody here has even remotely suggested that.

Sarcastic response to wrathbone sorry mates.

Anyways I'll leave you to it sorry to butt in :D

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29 am

What we really need is Alan B*stard!

:mrgreen:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44840154

Is it too much to hope for a second referendum, particularly one that has the option to stay in the EU?

Fingers and toes crossed.

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 am

I'm not holding out any hope until we've cancelled article 50.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Can it actually be cancelled, with the UK going back to the special status it had before article 50? It seems like one of those things that would require all members to agree on and the answer will be no from quite a few of them.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Pretty sure that there has already been comments made by the chap who penned the legislation that Article 50 is completely reversible, the nation in question just has to say the word at any point before the date we're meant to leave passes.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 pm

The EU knows it's stronger with Britain in it. Not only that, but I think cancelling this farce sends a message to other member states thinking of following our brilliant example that it's simply not possible to break their ties with the union without significant problems.

Whether we keep our "special status" or not really depends on how Article 50 was written.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:12 pm

I always assumed the EU's stance on it was you voted out, so out to fuck you go and no backsies.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Quite the opposite - I seem to recall Juncker suggesting or outright saying on several occasions that Brexit doesn't have to go ahead.

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World