Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:17 pm

You know... Robocop 3 isn't that bad.

Not going to call it good. Oh goodness me, no.
But, on it's own and way from the impressive shadow cast by the first film, I had fun with how amazingly silly the while thing was.

Credit goes to the villains for making the whole thing entertaining. John Castle and Rip Torn taking massive bites out of the scenery and second they're on scene. Bradley Whitford and Stephen Root as a sniveling and/or wild eyed underlings.

I came away impressed more than anything. Put "In defense of Robocop 3" into Google to see if anyone has a good word to say about the movie. I think the search auto-corrected to "indefensible" as the only articles that came back were scathing!

"What, you gone war wacky?"
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 am

3 billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Watched last night, great film, really enjoyed it.

Blade Runner 2049

Started watching it yesterday (joys of Kodi), got 90 minutes in and had to turn in for the night so checked how long was left to run, and I was barely at the half-way mark. Doubt I will finish it, much like the original it wasn't doing anything for me, despite impressive visuals.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm similar Ian. I don't get the fuss about the original at all. It's ok I guess but full of its own shit. A bit boring an all.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm

I have always wondered if I just don't get the awesomeness of the film because reasons (Snowy the philistine most probably) or whether it actually is the pretentious pile of balls it seems.

The jury is out ;)

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Probably Jez the philistine also but damn I always fall asleep watching it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Different strokes for different folks, innit. No-one's opinion is wrong as it's all about what you enjoy, but fwiw I always liked the original Blade Runner.

I've not seen the sequel though so can't comment.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm

I love the original, one of my favourite movies, but not because it has a great narrative (it doesn't).

It creates a unique vision, and a mood, and everything inside that world fits perfectly - there's no other film quite like it. But it's definitely a film you need to allow yourself to get swept up in.

2049 I was less convinced with. Something felt off, I didn't get the same sense of place the original had.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 pm

you bunch of philistines. BR is amazing because I like it which means its brilliant because I am the hero of my own movie
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah one of my best mates came away from the new one absolutely frothing, but didn't do anything for me.

I am generally not that big into sci-fi though, so it was not a film that would easily sweep me along (the new or the original).

Philistine it is then ;)

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm

The Last Jedi

Uffff :?

The Shape of Water

If Amelie was in a Gothic horror that was very light hearted is the best way to describe it. Enjoyed it.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Young Offenders

Dumb & Dumber by way of Trainspotting by way of Father Ted. Hilarious with a lot of heart, very good!

Even the Guardian liked it :o

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... ris-walley

I've no idea if anyone has seen this, but just to say they've made a TV series of it as well that's been airing on the BBC, just watched the first (or only?) four episodes on iPlayer, and it's just as great. Lots of laugh out loud moments, and in the last two episodes in particular some genuine feels as well.

Can only repeat my recommendation, really. I'd start with the film, while some of the TV series repeats some parts, I think it really helps to warm to the characters and get more from the show.

Another banger of a recommendation Sly! You've yet to steer me wrong. I found the film to be weaker than the series, but like you say, on the whole I think it added to my enjoyment of the series. Cheers matey. :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:59 am

Medicine Man wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Young Offenders

Dumb & Dumber by way of Trainspotting by way of Father Ted. Hilarious with a lot of heart, very good!

Even the Guardian liked it :o

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... ris-walley

I've no idea if anyone has seen this, but just to say they've made a TV series of it as well that's been airing on the BBC, just watched the first (or only?) four episodes on iPlayer, and it's just as great. Lots of laugh out loud moments, and in the last two episodes in particular some genuine feels as well.

Can only repeat my recommendation, really. I'd start with the film, while some of the TV series repeats some parts, I think it really helps to warm to the characters and get more from the show.

Another banger of a recommendation Sly! You've yet to steer me wrong. I found the film to be weaker than the series, but like you say, on the whole I think it added to my enjoyment of the series. Cheers matey. :)

No problem! I think my favourite part of the show:

Spoiler: show
Was in episode 4, when they're repairing the car and Jock and his mum fall into the electric fence... I was howling :lol:
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Anyone seen the new Alex Garland film, Annihilation?

Apparently the studio thought it was too cerebral for cinemas, instead giving it limited run in American theaters and dumping it on Netflix for the rest of the world.
Production stories aside...

Wow!
It's one of those films where the more I think about it in the passing days, the more I realise how much I enjoyed it.
The A.V. Club review wrote:Years from now, someone’s going to stroll down the science-fiction aisle of the last remaining video store on the planet, where they’ll find the last remaining physical copy of Alex Garland’s new movie, Annihilation, shelved neatly between Aliens and Arrival. It will be exactly where the film belongs, and not just alphabetically.

I'm not really sure what else to say, other than if you like your mid-to-high brow Sci-fi trippy, vague and with some cosmic/body horror twists, it's worth the two hours.
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Looks good. On Netflix Aye? Will watch.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Yeah, up for some of that, thanks Subby.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film