Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Young Offenders

Dumb & Dumber by way of Trainspotting by way of Father Ted. Hilarious with a lot of heart, very good!

Even the Guardian liked it :o

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... ris-walley

I've no idea if anyone has seen this, but just to say they've made a TV series of it as well that's been airing on the BBC, just watched the first (or only?) four episodes on iPlayer, and it's just as great. Lots of laugh out loud moments, and in the last two episodes in particular some genuine feels as well.

Can only repeat my recommendation, really. I'd start with the film, while some of the TV series repeats some parts, I think it really helps to warm to the characters and get more from the show.
My face is tired.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Black Panther

That was fun :D

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 am

The Revenant

This is on Netflix at the moment. Really wanted to see it at cinema but didn't.

I loved this. It was difficult to watch though in several parts. That bear scene was brilliantly done I don't even know how they filmed that. Think Leonardo di Caprio and the other actors earned their money on this one. Tom Hardy just steals everything he's in. He's typically great in this as Fitzgerald the focus of DiCaprio revenge.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Thought I'd watch Robocop 2 again.

What a mess of a film.
There really doesn't seem to be much of an overarching story to it. You could maybe scrape the whole "OCP wants to make a new Robocop, but puts a drug dealing cult leader in the suit instead!" story into a TV episode. Most everything else that happens in the film is tangentially related at best. Things just happen, get resolved after a scene or two before the film moves on to the next thing.

Also, is it just me, or is there surprisingly little Robocop in the film? The movie seems a lot more amused with making the OCP into cackling villains (complete with the least subtle Nazi allusions possible) or showing off how over the top the drug dealers are than the title character.

Some of the best stop-motion animation out there, though. Film bumbles along aimlessly for the better part of an hour and a half before some pretty damn cool cyborg on cyborg action kicks off.

Ugh. I'm going to have to watch Robocop 3 now, aren't I?
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm

If you’re going to watch 3 you also have to watch the 4 Canadian straight to dvd films too.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Jez wrote:The Revenant

This is on Netflix at the moment. Really wanted to see it at cinema but didn't.

I loved this. It was difficult to watch though in several parts. That bear scene was brilliantly done I don't even know how they filmed that. Think Leonardo di Caprio and the other actors earned their money on this one. Tom Hardy just steals everything he's in. He's typically great in this as Fitzgerald the focus of DiCaprio revenge.

It really is best on a cinema screen, that opening scene is pure delight, sound and sight.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Yes and having seen it on Netflix I know I've sadly missed out on an experience. That bit just before the final fight with glass and fitzgerald where the avalanche starts coming down. Just amazing.

Great film for the modern age. Subliminally I think it's taught me a lesson about about life somewhere.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:20 am

Subway Diet wrote:Thought I'd watch Robocop 2 again.

What a mess of a film.

Agreed, but it does have that classic moment where he storms an arcade full of kids on a weekday. "Shouldn't you be in school?!" :lol:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Black Panther

Pretty good - mid-table MCU by my ranking, maybe higher. It’s one of the most independent MCU films, which is great because it stands on its own merit rather than on the shoulders of its juggernaut sibling films. There are ties to the wider MCU but - for now at least - they are trivial. I suspect Infinity War will show the true importance of Black Panther.

My only criticism is the performance of the antagonist. The character is well-motivated but the acting is cocky enough so that it doesn’t play brilliantly against the commanding composure of Chadwick Boseman. It feels inappropriately immature in comparison.

Special mention for the superb soundtrack which covers many genres and styles and is pitch perfect throughout the film.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am

Creep 2
Great! :lol: Creep was a great stupid little gem of a movie that rests solely on how good Mark Duplass is in the role, this is more of the same. Tickles my funny bone just so. Its less creepy than the first but I think it was the right way to take it.
Would actually be in my 2017 top 5.

Shape Of Water
Its good, its just inconsistent and silly in a way that doesnt fit with the rest (see: towels in the bathroom). Its a fantasy sure, but most of it is more grounded in its own world. Its probably the worst Del Toro film which doesnt by any stretch mean its bad. Also fuck you, Mimics great! ¬____¬

Little Evil
Its obvious and its fairly by the numbers but it did bring some laughs all the same. Not bad, not great.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Creep! :o

We watched 1 & 2 recently, can't even remember if I mentioned them here (probably not), but a great pair of films, and love the way the second one mixes up the formula rather than being a straight retread or just upping the ante.

Highly recommended.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 pm

:)

I Tonya
That was quite excellent. It’s got the funny and the feels and it’s quite even handed. I think Margot might be one of the best young actresses around right now.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Jez wrote:Yes and having seen it on Netflix I know I've sadly missed out on an experience. That bit just before the final fight with glass and fitzgerald where the avalanche starts coming down. Just amazing.

Great film for the modern age. Subliminally I think it's taught me a lesson about about life somewhere.

It left me cold, and not in the weather sense.

Cinematically it was very well done, the acting was very good too, and the bear scene was amazing. After that though, the bounds of credulity were stretched beyond snapping point as Di Caprio endures more injury and misery than anyone could possibly take, all so he can have a fight at the end. Way too long, way too little in the way of story past the fact that he will keep shambling along like a Walking Dead extra no matter what.

Yeah, bored me after the bear attack basically.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:51 pm

The Young Offenders

Best comedy I have seen in ages. The coke/bike scene alone was hilarious. Irish comedy is superb now given this tuned into a BBC iplayer comedy and Derry Girls on Ch4

8/10
Games playing : Max Payne 3 / Attila Total War

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:The Young Offenders

Best comedy I have seen in ages. The coke/bike scene alone was hilarious. Irish comedy is superb now given this tuned into a BBC iplayer comedy and Derry Girls on Ch4

8/10

I know, right! :D

I was singing its praises a page or two back - you have to watch the series as well, just as good if not better (last couple of episodes in particular hit you right in the feels)...
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film