Kingdom Come: Deliverance - out Feb 13th

The strategy of playing ones role.
Wrathbone

Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance - out Feb 13th

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:46 pm

One more thing: I fully expect there to be a mod in the next few days which lets you quicksave whenever you want (or at the very least saves on exit), because autosaving doesn't appear to be that frequent and while the booze-as-quicksave mechanic is interesting in theory, in practice I can already tell it's going to become a nuisance.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:59 pm

My adventure so far:

Was brave enough to change the screen resolution, for which I was rewarded with a three-minute loading screen.

Spoke to my mother, then lost all sound (fortunately tabbing out and back in brought it back, having to relaunch a game with no quicksave wouldn't be fun).

Had my arse handed to me by the village drunk and went running home to mother to get patched up.

:-?

I'll have more time to play it tonight, was mostly interested in seeing how it ran. I think I'll like it (and hopefully not every loading screen is going to take as long as that one did), but the fighting is going to take some getting used to.
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Teetering. This is one that could prove interesting, or could be another Boiling Point (I sat in the "It is utter ballhang" corner on that one btw).
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Snowy wrote:Teetering. This is one that could prove interesting, or could be another Boiling Point (I sat in the "It is utter ballhang" corner on that one btw).

Way way too early for me to recommend or otherwise, I'm afraid.

If I had to pick a position on it based on the reviews and impressions I've read, I'd say it sits firmly in the camp of 'ambitious rough diamond from a new, small dev team, rough around the edges but rewards those who invest some time learning the different systems and don't mind a few bugs'.

It's a pretty specific camp.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Boiling Point was a complete, broken mess from top to bottom (not to mention incomprehensible), which this doesn't appear to be. I did still enjoy parts of BP for its ambition and its drunk controls which to this day are unequalled. Oh, and for the bug which let you blow up the police station by firing an arrow at it.

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Interesting thoughts so far eh. Looking forward to having a bash later.

Optimism rising though where one of you says that the approach to quest solutions is similar to Deus Ex.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Wrathbone wrote:One more thing: I fully expect there to be a mod in the next few days which lets you quicksave whenever you want (or at the very least saves on exit), because autosaving doesn't appear to be that frequent and while the booze-as-quicksave mechanic is interesting in theory, in practice I can already tell it's going to become a nuisance.

I've yet to dive into the game beyond the opening moments, but I hope so, just based on what I'm reading about the save system.

Here's the thing, my gaming time is pretty limited and I'm often called away on short notice, and at best may only get an hour here and an hour there... and given that the ability to be able to save a game when I want to is pretty key. I'm not looking forward to having to keep playing beyond when I need to stop simply to try to find a place the game will auto-save, or worst-case even quitting out and losing an hour or more's progress.

Like I said, I've yet to experience it in practice really, so we'll see. But I've a feeling if a mod like that becomes available I'll be one of the first in the queue.

I can kind of see why they've gone that way, to raise the stakes and mean you have to live with the consequences of mistakes (like getting caught stealing), but it isn't really practical I think.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Same situation sly.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm

In terms of crashes I had none, no real issues with anything bar one framerate drop in front of loads iof bodies that got better after a few seconds. Had a few little lockups but it always came back too in a few seconds. I'm enjoying though, brilliant game so far. I fought the town drunk with 3 other lads too ¬_¬

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 pm

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyEnchantingSpiderWOOP
You can be knocked off your horse by a low hanging branch.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:42 pm

I've put a few more hours into this and I've just got to the point where the world looks to be more or less open to me now. The short version... I love this game! Or as Sly put it:

While there have been a lot of cutscenes so far, most of them decent, the actual stuff I've done has been fun and challenging. I've duped guards, fought bandits (and won!), saved a peasant and more besides. I can see how some people may be put off by the almost slavish dedication to realism, but it really seems to play to the advantage of the gameplay, the tone and the setting. Every fight is scary at the moment, as it should be, and the combat - while certainly difficult - isn't as confusing as it first looks. That's the other thing: I've been playing with a mouse/keyboard for the last few hours and I've found it much better than the controller. I think I could keep going with a controller if I had a reason to, but m/kb feels a more natural fit.

The only real issue I've encountered was some stairs where I kept getting stuck and had to do some crouch-jumping to scale them, and also one time where I opened the inventory and it told me I'd died (thankfully just after an autosave). I don't think the saving issue is going to be as bad as I thought as it does save relatively frequently, and now the game has opened up there are more accessible options for sleeping (which saves). Still, a mod would be nice. Raring to get back into this tomorrow.

Photos!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm

There's a quick save solution, you change 2 lines in an ini file and the ESC save button doesn't use snapps to save.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Yes i like it so far also. I got up to the point of recuperating at talmberg after having some long cut scenes with all the local nobility it seems. It's reasonably well voice acted also which is good. The combat is baffling me though, I'm hoping that it will click soon as it'll be a deal breaker for me if doesn't.

One thing has annoyed me though so far.

The Dad hammer and nails quest:

Spoiler: show
so yeah asked to get shit from Kunesh. I pushed him hard and he beat the crap out of me. So I left him and went to do some of the other busy work. I met up with my 3 mates outside the pub and helped them throw shit at some poor Germans house. We had to scarper and they end up ganging together right by Kuneshes house. Oh good says I I'll try again and they'll help me in the fight....turns out they won't. They'll happily let you have it right in front of them until your a bleedin mess. They'll help you though when you talk to them and ask them to scratch your back. They'll all gang up on th3 drunk got then.

I guess I was just disappointed that they didn't help when it was plainly obvious in the first place.

Never mind. Still good so far otherwise and I hope that the combat clicks.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Put a couple of hours into this this evening, and sounds like I've reached roughly the same point as Jez. I'm also having a very good time with it (and also beat up Kunesh with the aid of three mates).

While there's been a lot of cutscenes in these opening hours, for the most part they've been very well done and I've enjoyed sitting and watching them, I expect they'll be a bit fewer and further between once you're out of the tutorial section (which I've heard lasts for about 10 hours in all) though.

Considering this is a fairly modest, novice team this is pretty impressive thus far.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

There was one bit just now that made me think 'whoops', though:

Spoiler: show
When you're telling your story to the lady of Talmberg Castle, I had the choice of either telling her I ran away from the guards trying to rape the miller girl I'd been flirting with moments earlier, or to lie and say I tried to save her. At the time I'd seen a struggle, kinda, from the corner of my eye as I jumped on the first horse I came to and got the hell out of Dodge. But... could I have tried to save her (if I wasn't so craven)? Would the guards just have butchered me like an illiterate peasant brandishing a sword I can barely hold, or would something have happened that allowed me to save her?

Either way, I don't... I don't feel great about that :(
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing, RTS & Racing