Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Jez

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Jez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Kermode ripped it a new arsehole today also. Sounds utter pump.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm

evol what even possessed you to actually partake money to see this pile of shit
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

It makes me do lots of stupid things :(
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm

:D

think of the time opportunity cost
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:56 am

Been on a Paul Verhoeven kick of late. Well, his US films, at least.

Robocop
Absolute classic.
I don't know what else there is to say? I sometimes wonder that perhaps all my affection for the film is just due to my wee laddie brain liking the idea of a cyborg cop blowing away baddies in great splattery gouts of blood.
But it really is that good. And, as expected, only continues to become more prescient in retrospect.

Starship Troopers
Another absolute classic.
I have similar concerns about this one. What if all I like about it are the giant bugs?! Nope. They're awesome, but the rest of the film holds up as well. It really does feel like the progression of the Robocop mindset. Almost shamefully entertaining cheese and violence wrapped up in satire, only this time it's taken beyond the limits you'd imagine a huge budge movie would have.

Total Recall
Really came around on it this time. There was something about it that never quite sat right with me before. I think there was the overwhelming sense of "fake" about it. Everything looks like a sound stage, everything is over-lit, the practical effects are of the most sweaty rubber kind. Hell, even when it's not an obvious puppet, Arnie barely looks real most of the time.
This time through, I was less distracted by the general production, instead going along with the over-filled blood pack romp of the movie. And what a movie it is!

Hollow Man
You know, I was a little shocked to see it considered one of his worst films. I'll admit it's not going to become a misunderstood classic anytime soon, but, for all the varying forms of grossness, I still really enjoyed it's very late 90s techno-slasher vibes. A big budget Sci-Fi Channel style, guilty-as-all-hell pleasure.

Might as well go even further. Got Showgirls in the mail today. ¬_¬
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Netflix TV in here?

Aletered Carbon anyone? Only watched the first episode so far and struggling to keep up with it, mainly due to the voices being so muted. Will watch it again to see if it helps on my own pc with better speakers than my girlfriends old TV.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Like it so far myself. It's cyberpunky and interesting so far.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 am

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night.

Quite enjoyed that. Goodman's performance was probably the highlight and kept you guessing for a while about his motives (which are never made transparently clear but I think we're given enough information to get the gist). Also quite liked the slightly mad last ten minutes, which I guess some people may find jarring, but was a fun way to tie it into the franchise, however loosely.

I understand the Cloverfield Paradox that just went up on Netflix is a steaming pile of poop though, so I think I'll give that one a swerve.
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Rusty wrote:Netflix TV in here?

Aletered Carbon anyone? Only watched the first episode so far and struggling to keep up with it, mainly due to the voices being so muted. Will watch it again to see if it helps on my own pc with better speakers than my girlfriends old TV.

That first episode is a little trippy. Clearly its one of those series where it takes a few episodes to click.

A few films I managed to watch while down in Brighton in January, visiting my son.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Really good film, with a very good cast.

Blade Runner 2049 - It just didn't click. Felt like it was a hour too long.

Dunkirk - Again, it just didn't do anything for me. Very good cast. Good in parts, but left me disappointed.

Darkest Hour - Loved it. Gary Oldman was brilliant.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - This was a tone of fun. Liked it more than I thought I would.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I understand the Cloverfield Paradox that just went up on Netflix is a steaming pile of poop though, so I think I'll give that one a swerve.

Bullet dodged mate. Just watched it. Very, very disappointed. :(

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Young Offenders

Dumb & Dumber by way of Trainspotting by way of Father Ted. Hilarious with a lot of heart, very good!

Even the Guardian liked it :o

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... ris-walley
My face is tired.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 am

Dr@gon-UK wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:I understand the Cloverfield Paradox that just went up on Netflix is a steaming pile of poop though, so I think I'll give that one a swerve.

Bullet dodged mate. Just watched it. Very, very disappointed. :(

I actually enjoyed that for the sci-fi jaunt that it was.
Ignore the tie in the the atrocious cinema film of the same name and let it stand on it's own and I found it more than enjoyable enough.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:10 am

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Phew. That was... bleak.
It's from the guy who did Bone Tomahawk, so I knew what I was getting into. So, more of the obviously budget, yet well made genre fare that
Spoiler: show
swerves into practical gore effect driven brutality

Haha. I don't really want to say much more, but it's pretty damn good and I'd recommend it to anyone up for some grim prison based thrills.

Oh, and Vince Vaughn is surprisingly good in it.
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:29 am

Tichinde wrote:I actually enjoyed that for the sci-fi jaunt that it was.
Ignore the tie in the the atrocious cinema film of the same name and let it stand on it's own and I found it more than enjoyable enough.

Watched it last night, big budget, on the whole, good acting. Silly tie in at the end for no reason.

I enjoyed it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts ... 0219144566

First valid point the sites ever made!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film