Why Are Nintendo Shitty?

Console Country!
Rich

Why Are Nintendo Shitty?

Postby Rich » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm

I have been wondering this for a long time now. Do they do it on purpose or are they just not in the real world?

Last year, I managed to secure myself a NES Mini not realising the hysteria that was going to happen in as much as Nintendo had only made so many of these retro boxes and not understood that lots of people would have wanted them - but despite ALL the speculation that there was going to be another production run, all they did was discontinue the machine and not make any more...

The Switch got launched...

There are STILL people to this day that cannot buy one? WHY? FFS! MAKE MORE CONSOLES!! WHAT IS THEIR PROBLEM?

There have been a few months now since the Switch release and there is nowhere in the world that you can regularly go in and just buy one off the shelf. Why?

Why do they do this? Is it to create some false mass hysteria that 'OMG cannot buy ANY ninty products must be the best thing EVA' mentality from them? Or they are really such stupid fucks that they cannot realise they have a hit on their hands?

They have just done the same thing again with the Mini SNES (that I have not managed to get)

And you would think that would make me bitter, but no - even AFTER doing it with the mini SNES, they went ahead AGAIN and did it with the Metroid Prime Samus Returns special edition on 3DS.

Is this a toy company that has NO idea what it is doing or is it really just taking the piss because they are all over the headlines about their rare as hens teeth stock?

Mantis
Admin

Re: Why Are Nintendo Shitty?

Postby Mantis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 pm

I think they're just really bad at estimating how many units they're going to sell. No doubt they didn't ship as many Switch units out off the back of the Wii U doing so badly.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 am

I think you fundamentally misunderstand production, you can't just flick a switch and make more product. With regards to the Switch they are fighting people like Apple for product line space and components.

Nintendo are always conservative when it comes to the amount of product they think they can sell and that helps when their systems don't fly out the door when they launch, like the 3DS and the Wii U, but it obviously comes back to bite them when their product is successful like the Wii and the Switch. As Mantis said after the Wii U they were always going to be conservative with the Switch. In all cases they do everything they can to increase production, believe me they do not want this situation where people cannot buy their product, no company does.

It is slightly different with their Mini consoles as these are side products and with the Mini SNES while they know it is going to be popular again they only have so much manufacturing capacity and they are not about to reduce the number of 3DS and Switch systems being made in order to make more of a 'lesser' product.

Sometimes companies just underestimate the amount of product they are going to sell, this is not unique to Nintendo, Sony currently can't make enough PSVR headsets and every year there is some toy which sells out at Christmas and nobody can get hold of. Gauging customer interest on your products and creating enough stock is one of the hardest things to do in business, nobody wants unsold inventory and a uDraw situation, so it is no surprise that even the biggest companies get it wrong.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Rich

Postby Rich » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 am

No, I fundamentally DO NOT misunderstand production.

However, ten out of ten for the 'flicking a switch' gag...

Why not make more mini NES rather than discontinue it?

Rich

Postby Rich » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:16 am

However, I get what you mean about the Christmas toy - BUT - the thing about the Christmas toy is that its a finite window, the mass panic buying of the toy begins and there is no way that whoever makes the toy can get any more before the Christmas period ends - the kid WANTS it for Christmas, not in January, February.

The thing about Nintendo is is that its been months since the Switch launch and yet there is still not regular stock on the shelves of which you can walk into a store and buy.

You say they are competing with Apple to get their product manufactured? I don't believe that, I'm sorry - I cannot believe there are only so many manufacturing places dedicated to this kind of stuff after all this time - nobody in their right mind thought 'shit, you know we need to build another plant' or something?

Why this continues to be a thing beggars belief.

Oh and I didn't realise you couldn't buy a Playstation VR, I just presumed it had died on its arse like all the other VR crap and they weren't making as many.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/0 ... shortages/

"We anticipated there was going to be demand for it, but the demand has been even higher than we thought," he said. "We had a good quantity for launch, we sold 2.7 million worldwide in that first month, said we're going to have 10 million [more] by the end of the fiscal year... Unfortunately, we're in a situation right now where as quick as it's going into retail outlets it's being snapped up. It's a good problem to have, but we're working very hard to try and meet demand."
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Rich

Postby Rich » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Do you not think that instead of releasing a couple of hundred a week creating mass hysteria, do you not think that waiting a couple of months, getting LOTS of stock together and then just release it?

They GET OFF on this lack of stock availability. They love it. Keeps them top of the news (when they don't need to be) and its 'look at us, all our stuff just sells out, we are so fucking good'

You could say 'on he's just bitter that he didn't get a mini SNES' but thats not it at all. They've discontinued the mini NES. Why? WHY? It cannot be because they can't get into the factory and make some more. THEY FUCKING KNOW everybody wants one, but they have chosen to tell everyone else to fuck off.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:53 pm

I don't really care about the Switch because there will be stock eventually if I decide to get one. Just wait, there will be units available soon enough.

The Classic lineup is quite odd though. Clearly there's a lot of demand for these little machines, so why they choose to release so few before moving onto the next is a little baffling. Considering the simplicity of the hardware you'd imagine they make pretty good money on each unit sold too. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't get a Classic SNES Mini before they sold out everywhere as there are a few games I wouldn't mind playing on it. As it stands I'll probably just get the ROMs on emulator and stream them to my TV now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:39 pm

I can understand the Switch potentially being slow to produce; Nintendo are after all competing with other portable devices for component manufacture, and regardless of how ubiquitous such items are, there *is* only a finite amount of production available. I don't necessarily agree with this because the Wii was equally short on stock after it launched, but it's plausible.

I cannot however explain the two mini consoles. If the NES was being produced in small numbers (for hype) to re-interest people in the brand just before their flagship console launch, then why produce the SNES? If the product was eating into more lucrative virtual console sales on the 3DS, then the SNES again makes no sense.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 am

You say they are competing with Apple to get their product manufactured? I don't believe that, I'm sorry - I cannot believe there are only so many manufacturing places dedicated to this kind of stuff after all this time - nobody in their right mind thought 'shit, you know we need to build another plant' or something?

Speaking to the Wall Street Journal (paywall), a spokesperson for Toshiba Corp - which supplies some of these parts for Switch - said “demand for our NAND flash memory has been overwhelmingly greater than supply, and the situation is likely to stay for the rest of this year”. The demand for specific parts like these is seemingly very strong from companies such as Apple in particular, and various other companies that make smartphones and tablets.

Of course, companies producing smartphones tend to make larger orders than Nintendo, so analysts say they often have better terms than the big N when it comes to acquiring these sought-after parts.

Nintendo are not going to build a factory themselves to deal with demand as it would not be cost viable to do so, so they are reliant on sourcing components from other places.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Rich

Postby Rich » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:45 pm

No, no, sorry I didn't mean they had to build their own factory.

I kinda mentioned it in my other post / rant that they've discontinued something when they didn't need to.

Anyway, after this mini SNES comes out, they've already filed a patent (though god knows why as nobody else could make one because of the court case) to make the mini N64.

I'm just hoping for the mini Gamecube to be honest.

The mini NES is great, you can dump every NES ROM ever made onto it and people have got NEO GEO games working on it too.

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 pm

They're an ageing Japanese company and Japanese businesses tend to be very stuck in their old ways and refuse to adapt to changing markets.

And yeah I am fucking beyond livid that I couldn't pre-order a SNES Mini, bloody scalpers have snapped them all up and they're already being offered for like £160 which is scumbag behaviour. Might just get a Raspberry Pi and make my own emulation station if Nintendo are going to be bell-ends about this.
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alun_parker1987

Turned out nice again!

Return to Consoles & Handhelds