Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:38 pm

It's going on the list. His crash helmet fills me with great hope.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 pm

All I know of that one is the Spoony review and the line "Brackett is not some mad-dog killer", referring to some moon-howling loon of an antagonist...
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:32 am

The Matrix Revolutions

Yeah, I'll admit it's the weakest of the films. Hardly the genre-defining classic that was the first, or the eye boggling action scenes of the second.
Still, I'm not one of the people that hates on the Zion war stuff. I get that it's the sort of wearying CGI overload that people don't like, but it's serviceable and not every day you see mech suits vs waves of tentacle robots. The real problem is that it feels like most of the middle part of the film has been handed off to Assistant Directors, you know? It feels like long stretches of the film didn't get as much love because the Wachowskis were too excited for that batshit crazy final fight with Smith.

Man, I wish that fight was even more over the top. I could have gone Man of Steel style city levelling madness. Still, they've gone far enough along the Anime madness path to give me a thrill.

The Matrix Trilogy is awesome. Apparently I'm still a total nerd for it.
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 am

The big problem I have with the third film (and to a lesser extent the second film) is that I don't care about Zion. I should, but I don't. I think it's because most of the characters we associate with Zion are either bickering politicians or hard-nosed militants, none of whom are likeable. The crew of the Nebuchadnezzar are (mostly) likeable, so in the first film when they're about to be destroyed I did care, and that's something the later films missed.

I'm also disappointed that they took the strands of the idea that the 'real world' is actually just another matrix (since Neo apparently has matrix powers in the real world and Smith finds a way to get there), but they never followed through on it. There was too much substance and plot significance around it to be just another pseudo-philosophical thought-provoker, so I don't understand why they didn't either make good on it or cut it entirely.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:48 pm

I'll burn all goodwill by admitting that I like the orgiastic rave scene. :mrgreen:
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Wrathbone wrote:The big problem I have with the third film (and to a lesser extent the second film) is that I don't care about Zion. I should, but I don't. I think it's because most of the characters we associate with Zion are either bickering politicians or hard-nosed militants, none of whom are likeable. The crew of the Nebuchadnezzar are (mostly) likeable, so in the first film when they're about to be destroyed I did care, and that's something the later films missed.

I'm also disappointed that they took the strands of the idea that the 'real world' is actually just another matrix (since Neo apparently has matrix powers in the real world and Smith finds a way to get there), but they never followed through on it. There was too much substance and plot significance around it to be just another pseudo-philosophical thought-provoker, so I don't understand why they didn't either make good on it or cut it entirely.

It's the Pirates of the Caribbean problem. First film - fantastic romp, much fun being had. Second films on - all that fucking Pirate Code fucking nonsense and boring-ass world-building shit no-one cares about taking centre stage.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Bad Biology

Haha. What the fuck did I just watch?

Not even sure how to sum it up. Budget body horror about mutant genitals? It's as good as it sounds. :lol:
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Hell House LLC

Low-budget horror, one of those found-footage things. Premise is a company that sets up those haunted house things that Americans are fond of at Halloween, only the house they've chosen that year is actually haunted and things start going wrong as they set it up.

For a film with zero budget, we quite enjoyed it. I don't know if it was the frame of mind we were in, or that we're fraidy cats (we almost certainly are), but there were quite a few points where we were properly creeped out. Didn't rely on jump scares the way many such films do, so we well done in that respect.

It isn't a classic, but if you like that particular horror genre (think Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity etc) then it's worth checking out. Would probably give it a 6 out of 10 overall, but a solid one.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Bad Biology

I looked that up on Wikipedia.

However, they must somehow tame Batz' increasingly erratic penis before it can go on a murder spree.

Huh.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:43 am

Dunkirk
I've been looking forward to this since the first teaser. It's an amazing story that doesn't get a lot of mindshare and deserves a cracking film. This isn't really it though. I didn't feel the scale, it felt like thousands of men rather than hundreds of thousands. I didn't like the "follow the hero" storytelling as our main character gets into all the hyjinks. The multi viewpoint time jump editing was jarring. It also felt too clean and the feeling of peril and loss as men died rung strangely hollow. Right from the very first scene, there was just no soul. It's such a pivotal point in the war and an incredible series of events that deserved a better movie.

Churchill had more suspense and tension there were zero gunfire in that.

It's not bad, Nolan has chops, but it's hollow and lacks humanity. It felt more like a fable than a horrific thing hundreds of thousands of people endured.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 am

Was Churchill any good mate?

My favourite Churchill piece so far is "The Gathering Storm" so I am intrigued to hear if it is any good or not.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 am

How does it compare to the old 1950's film? I remember that being a cracker.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm not sure why this is celebrated. We had our arses kicked and then ran but couldn't run over water and got trapped. Then we managed to run away properly with the help of civilians.

Not our finest hour but then my knowledge of the retreat is patchy at best.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm pretty sure at the time it was regarded as a complete fuck up of biblical proportions, but it got turned around. Propaganda for the win.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:46 am

Rusty wrote:I'm not sure why this is celebrated. We had our arses kicked and then ran but couldn't run over water and got trapped. Then we managed to run away properly with the help of civilians.

Not our finest hour but then my knowledge of the retreat is patchy at best.

I believe it's seen as part of the reason we won the war and also the victory of the everyday man - the very embodiment of the British fighting spirit and true heroism.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film