Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Formula 1 - 2016 on CH4, Page 90 Onwards

Postby Raid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:20 am

It's a good choice, probably the best out of all of the drivers who would have been available. It's not an exciting choice though, even if Valtteri has a decent chance of contending with Lewis.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Agreed on it not being exciting. He's a good driver, seems a decent enough person, but he's so bland. He's like a driving AI that's materialised into the physical world. At least he's got a fair chance of getting some wins.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:06 pm

I like Bottas as a person, actually, he's still a better personality than Hamilton. What I'm worried about is whether he's too safe. Williams can't afford to take the risks that the richer teams can - it shows in their strategy, and I have to wonder how much that limited Bottas' aggression. Fans don't want another Kovalainen.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:13 pm

I think Bottas is more Raikkonen than Kovalainen - unlikely to take needless risks but absolutely solid on the pace when the car is right. I want a risk-taker, though. Maldonado would have been perfect. :)

Photos!

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Apparently Williams is getting a lot of money to take Stroll next year, plus and all new simulator that they actually got last year however it was calibrated for an F3 car driven by... Lance Stroll

This is a translated article about him from Auto Motor Und Sport
It was a badly guarded secret. Williams will be running Valtteri Bottas and Lance Stroll in 2017. A mixture of young and old, from experience and debutant. Lance Stroll is not just a novice. The Formula 3 European champion is the son of the Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, who made his money with the fashion companies Pierre Cardin, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. Stroll's assets were estimated to be worth 2.4 billion dollars this year by the economic magazine Forbes.

Williams has announced his rider pairing on 3 November. 6 days after the 18th birthday of his new entry. Stroll replaces Max Verstappen as the youngest driver in the field. His road to Formula One sets new standards. The contract with Williams was the most expensive birthday present in the history of motor racing. No racer got better prepared in the royal class.
Lance Stroll drives in his own Formula 3 team

Lawrence Stroll is an Autonar. He owns the former Formula 1 circuit Mont Tremblant, he owns one of the most extensive Ferrari collections in the world. 2 years ago, Stroll had negotiated Sauber with the purchase of the team. You could not agree. Then Stroll senior looked for another way to Formula One for his son.

He bought himself in the best Formula 3 racing team Prema. On top of that. The cars spent many hours in the wind tunnel, the Mercedes engines got special characteristics thanks to a development aid from father Stroll and the experienced team colleague Nick Cassidy should help Stroll junior in the tuning of the Dallara F312. It is rumored that there was a non-attack pact in the Prema team. Team captain Stroll was not supposed to be overtaken by his team colleagues.

Despite all the help, Stroll was the best man in the field of the Formula 3 European Championship. The Canadian won the championship at the age of 17 with 507 to 322 points against his stable rival Maximilian Günther. Stroll was the winner of 14 of the 30 races on the podium, of which the last five times in a row.
Special test program for Lance Stroll

After the superior appearance of the son, Stroll senior decided to omit the GP2 series and take the direct route to Formula One. A big step from 230 to 950 bhp. The cockpit costs $ 35 million. However, this is just part of the investment in the Formula 1 adventure. Stroll paid an extensive test program in a 2 year old Williams.

The Williams FW36 from 2014 is equipped with the first hybrid drive from Mercedes. Thus Lance Stroll has realistic test conditions. Williams is a 20-man test team, Mercedes 5 technicians, just to take care of the engine. Two new 2014 engines were installed in Brixworth for the private tests. Pirelli supplies so-called Academy tires in the mixes hard, medium and soft. They are specially made for tests with old Formula One cars.

Lance Stroll should not only learn the car and the hybrid power, but also the racetracks. The test program, excluding the public, began in Silverstone, followed by Budapest and the Red Bull Ring. On the weekend of the GP USA in Austin Lance Stroll 2 days in Monza his rounds.

On the other test program are Barcelona, ​​Abu Dhabi, Austin, Sochi and possibly Shanghai. "The last novice who came to Formula One with so many test kilometers was Jacques Villeneuve."

Stroll senior, Williams also financed the construction of a new high-tech simulator. This year only the son could use the facility. The software was written for a Formula 3 car. Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa had to settle for the old simulator. Now the simulation programs for the next year Williams FW40 are being adapted.

And what did Lance Stroll's way to the royal class cost? Insiders rumble between 70 and 80 million dollars.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am

Bernie is gone, I wonder if this will have a big impact on the sport. It always felt like he was an impediment to the sport moving with the times, but it could have just been that it seemed like he was being the block when it was teams and the FiA as well.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:28 pm

It was almost certainly all three causing blocks to varying degrees, but Bernie was the public-facing side of it. It's the right time for him to go - it's at the point where everyone agrees F1 has gone wrong, and with Bernie at the helm that's not going to change. Best to end his era and start implementing a fresh vision of what the sport should be.

I think the biggest problem Liberty will face is making significant changes without losing one or more of the major teams. You abandon hybrid engines, Mercedes threaten to go. You try and enforce spending limitations to make it fairer to the smaller teams, Ferrari threaten to go. Frankly I could live with either or both of those scenarios if there were other teams to take their places, but the sport would be crippled or even killed in the short term.

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm

I don't think Liberty have any interest in getting rid of the engines. I would like to see them grow commercial revenues so that they can reduce race fees and we don't end up losing all the classic/good GPs. I read that there are races they consider to be critical to F1 so that's something.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Let's wait to see which races they consider critical before we start praising them.

I've been waiting for Bernie's departure for a good few years now; I really enjoy interviews with him as he's an entertaining man, but the sport has become stagnant under his reign. There's minimal access to On-Demand content (FoM still have practically every video on Youtube featuring F1 content removed), and their attempts at app integration and online services have been relatively unsuccessful. There's been minimal attempts to bring a younger audience in, with most of that happening through the teams' and broadcasters' own efforts.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Bring back V10 or V12 engines, strip the aero from the top and have it under the cars to negate the whole dirty air problem, lose the DRM and KERS systems, strap on a massive turbo and fill the run-off areas back up with gravel. Basically make the cars a bastard handful like they used to be, and leave it to driver skill to keep it on the track.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Bigger engines are never coming back Snowy mate the manufacturers are too invested in hybrid tech which is fair enough as they want to get something out of it that they can use in their road cars. You don't need V10s to make the cars faster anyway.

Agree about the driver aids and run-off areas. I don't mind KERS and DRS needs to stay until they sort out the aero issues otherwise we will be back to no overtaking at all.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:05 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Bigger engines are never coming back Snowy mate the manufacturers are too invested in hybrid tech which is fair enough as they want to get something out of it that they can use in their road cars. You don't need V10s to make the cars faster anyway.

Agree about the driver aids and run-off areas. I don't mind KERS and DRS needs to stay until they sort out the aero issues otherwise we will be back to no overtaking at all.

Care to explain the aero issues or link to an article that does? My other half loves F1 so I proxy watch it and this sounds interesting.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 am

Currently the cars produce downforce by pushing air over the top of the car pushing it to the ground and then expels this air over the back of the car producing a lot of turbulence behind the car. This means that if you are sitting behind another car your downforce is significantly reduced, tyre wear is higher and your engine starts to overheat. This means your performance is severely compromised if you try to closely follow another car. It also makes getting close enough to another car to overtake very difficult, you need a significant speed advantage, hence DRS which reduces the drag of the car on the straight and increases the top speed.

There are numerous ways that people have come up with to counter this turbulence issue. Some say that if downforce was created by pushing air under the car then there would be less turbulence coming off the back of the car, others that you should reduce the downforce allowed on cars so that the turbulence is reduced. Right now nobody can really agree on what to do so we have DRS instead which feels very artificial in some cases and doesn't work on all tracks because some tracks don't have long enough straights.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:34 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Currently the cars produce downforce by pushing air over the top of the car pushing it to the ground and then expels this air over the back of the car producing a lot of turbulence behind the car. This means that if you are sitting behind another car your downforce is significantly reduced, tyre wear is higher and your engine starts to overheat. This means your performance is severely compromised if you try to closely follow another car. It also makes getting close enough to another car to overtake very difficult, you need a significant speed advantage, hence DRS which reduces the drag of the car on the straight and increases the top speed.

There are numerous ways that people have come up with to counter this turbulence issue. Some say that if downforce was created by pushing air under the car then there would be less turbulence coming off the back of the car, others that you should reduce the downforce allowed on cars so that the turbulence is reduced. Right now nobody can really agree on what to do so we have DRS instead which feels very artificial in some cases and doesn't work on all tracks because some tracks don't have long enough straights.

Oh, so like a reverse slipstream effect? MotoGp (and bikes in general) are my thing and at certain tracks slipstreaming is massively important like this at Mugello this last year (scuse the crappy quality).

The effect of slipstream keeps racing close together and means that riders have to pass on corners and then make enough distance before the next long straight. It sounds like there's the reverse of that in F1 nowadays?

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:05 pm

F1 is uber boring.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport