Apple ][

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Mantis
Admin

Re: Apple ][

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:00 pm

Wasn't going to go for the 7 this year because of the rumours circling about a potentially big change to next years models. I've been back and forth between iOS and Android and am currently on Android but was considering a change with next year. If the audio jack is missing from next years model too then they can sod off. Using an adaptor sounds like an awful idea and I hate wireless audio for what it does to the sound quality.

I seriously hope this heavily damages their sales of the 7 so that they reconsider things for next year.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:39 am

IOS 10 is kind of dogshit. Why in the hell did they think it was a good idea to break the control centre (swipe up) into two pages so now to get to music controls you have to swipe up and then left. Might seem like a small thing but its so damn annoying. If you were on music controls last time a swipe up brings those back up.... which means you have to then swipe right to get to the "quick" camera buttons (not so quick now!) and everything else. It shows very little extra info than on IOS9 and with the advent of stupidly big phones theres even less need for this. Oh wait, they tripled the size of the button that puts it into night colours mode, fuck yeah! Also they changed the colour scheme of the dock to be real tacky (blue and grey). The widgets are a mess but more useful than they were before..

The good things? Music no longer pauses when you open the camera app like it did for all of IOS9, it only pauses when you switch to video mode now as it did pre IOS9. You can also finally delete apple apps (stocks, iBooks etc...). Thats really about it unless smilies, font size in messages and fireworks from yahoo circa 2003 are your bag.

"Biggest IOS release ever" yeah... only because all other IOS releases are contained there in so it has to be even though the additions are kind of shockingly bad. Screwed with stuff that worked fine and added some crap just to say they added some crap.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:25 am

This review is just plain weird.

http://www.theverge.com/a/apple-iphone- ... one-7-plus

"The iconic iPhone home button is no longer a physical button, but instead a sophisticated ballet of pressure sensors and haptic vibration motors that simulate the feel of a button"

What?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:42 am

A sophisticated ballet? :lol:

Basically you put your finger on it and it vibrates a bit.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Maaaan the X is one ugly bastard!

And why is the 8 not the 7s?

And why are they calling the X the 10?

Apple have the dumbest naming conventions.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Presumably they wanted to reinvigorate the brand so people don't get sick of them when they release the iPhone 11, 12, 13 etc. Next year they'll probably start fresh and bring out the X2. Possible that they may also do the 8s or 9, then the X model will have enough of a market presence that it will replace the old style phones before they get to 10.

Still, £999 for a 5.8 inch phone with a bunch of features that Androids have had for a long time. Seriously uninspiring. I caught a bit of the conference and the guy was clearly pausing between features as if expecting applause from the audience, but a lot of the time it was just deadly silent and awkward.

That pretty much cements my next purchase as the S8 Plus in a couple of months if the price drops a little further.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:47 pm

The price really is off the scale, but people are idiots and will still pay it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I watched maybe half of the presentation last night, for reasons that still escape me. It's a long time since I've been interested in Apple stuff, and they'd basically have to completely change their phone OS before I'd take another look.

I can't tell whether it's just my changing attitudes towards new tech products or whether Apple have just gotten worse under Tim Cook, but watching it made me cringe so badly I had to close the window halfway through the iPhone X unveil. They seem to be outright fetishising features that other tech companies have been selling for years now, that they'd have you believe had never been done before. The Apple TV 4k had the worst of them, which had someone I assume was the project lead inviting the audience to ogle the detail in a still 4k image. Yes, thankyou, 4k broadcasts have been around since 2013 so clearly your product is my first opportunity to see it.

And the regard they hold Steve Jobs in is downright embarrassing. I'd love to know how much influence Jobs had during the development of the iPhone, because I'm pretty sure a lot of very talented engineers designed that thing, not the company president.

Anyway, the iPhone X. Looks nice. Looks a bit like the Galaxy S7 Edge that I've owned for a year actually. I'm sure it's a lovely screen, but removing a bezel is not the creation of a whole new concept in mobile devices. Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff it can do is fairly impressive; the AR stuff was quite cool, as is the photo mode that seemingly can light someone's face by creating a 3D map of their head and adjusting exposure accordingly in under-lit areas to replicate a studio look (can't wait to see how well this actually works). At the end of the day however, it's a £1000 incremental update, nothing more.

Best joke I've heard so far is that they couldn't call it the iPhone 9 because all of the 9s went into the pricetag.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 pm

eVoL wrote:Maaaan the X is one ugly bastard!

And why is the 8 not the 7s?

And why are they calling the X the 10?

Apple have the dumbest naming conventions.

Mantis wrote:Presumably they wanted to reinvigorate the brand so people don't get sick of them when they release the iPhone 11, 12, 13 etc. Next year they'll probably start fresh and bring out the X2. Possible that they may also do the 8s or 9, then the X model will have enough of a market presence that it will replace the old style phones before they get to 10.

It's basically the Mega Man model of naming conventions.

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware