Windows 10 Thread - Quest to Kill Cortana

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Nethlyn

Re: Windows 10 Announced - Technical Preview Released

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:33 am

Mantis wrote:Did a bit of research into it. Everyone currently has the same Windows 10 licence key which identifies as retail, effectively allowing you to use the upgrade on any PC that you install your old Windows licence on.

In theory that shouldn't disable your old retail licence key so you can still use it on other systems.

Then that sounds fine if a laptop usually has its own key locked to its own drive (or that's how Toshiba does it anyway) and the boxed Win7 I have is separate - I'd always have one spare 7 key left. Now it's all about getting a release date for SP1 before the summer deadline and then I would update the lappy any time, possibly after a RAM upgrade if there's no GPU power.

If 7 got 20 updates at the last patch Tuesday then I'd hope they were nearer to a more cumulative SP1 than something that brought in radical changes. I could update the lot tomorrow and ride out the bugs but life's too short to have to keep reinstalling after hackage and other exploits that MS wait a month to fix.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Prey
Admin

Re: Windows 10 Announced - Technical Preview Released

Postby Prey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Although it should come as little surprise I am genuinely shocked by just how much Cortana leeches on to your system in the background in Windows 10 even if you have gone through certain steps to try and shut it down. I thought I had managed to get it disabled as it was using up 50-60mb in the background and accessing constantly even though it was set to off but since the latest Win 10 update it looks like it has returned again and this time it won't take no for an answer.

Close the service down and within a few seconds it just kicks in again like a stubborn stain. Has anyone else managed to find a way around it I wonder?

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Re: Windows 10 Thread - Quest to Kill Cortana

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:40 pm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949759/windows/killing-cortana-how-to-disable-windows-10s-info-hungry-digital-assistant.html

Don't know if that's any help, everywhere I've seen people who thought they'd totally killed it but then a day or two down the line it shows up in active processes. It has more comebacks than herpes apparently and is just as irritating.
Still not regretting sticking with Win7 atm.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:43 pm

http://superuser.com/questions/949569/c ... windows-10

You can turn off Input Personalization at any time. This will stop the data collection for this feature and will delete associated data stored on your device, such as your local user dictionary and your input history. As Cortana uses this data to help understand your input, turning off Input Personalization will also disable Cortana on your device. At https://www.bing.com/account/personalization, you can also clear data sent to Microsoft, such as your contacts and calendar data, user dictionary, as well as search and browsing history if your device also had Cortana enabled.
According to HowToGeek after installation you can disable this by:

If you have chosen express settings and you want to opt out of some or all of these, all is not lost. You can still go into the settings and change things.

To turn off the first item found in the Personalization settings, you will need to open the Privacy group in Settings and then “Speech, inking, & typing”.

Click or tap “Stop getting to know me”.

I've forgotten what method I used to disable it completely myself. Hasn't came back even after any windows 10 updates since then.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:48 pm

So here it is at last, first update done before the deadline, and I hope making changes re Cortana will give me back the speed I took for granted. Six months ago I know I also had to reinstall the AV as well but anything else that was giving problems was just turned off by Win 10 as "incompatible".

It's routine for a new Windows OS to demand ever more RAM though so if the laptop only has 4Mb and integrated graphics, even if it's an Intel chip I will try it but ultimately be looking to get another one and put 16Gb into any new desktop so that it feels as fast as 7.

The only concern is that when 10 says it's up to date, that it really is and there aren't 100 Win updates to go that will only show up in five reboots' time. As you can tell I'm missing Windows 7 already. :)
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 am

Every goddam update kills my Windows menu and time/date menu. On top of this being the most ridiculous OS I've ever seen or tried to use in my entire life.
Questions:
#1. Any chance, at all, that I can revert this laptop?
#2. Any chance, if I buy a new PC, that I can install my old W7 discs on it?
#3. Any advice on switching to Linux, if I can't do #1?

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:04 am

There's an option to revert back to Windows 7 or 8 but I think you have to do it within 30 days of installing 10.

You can install Windows 7 on whatever you like if you format it beforehand.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:38 am

Anyone else having problems with Windows Update downloading and installing drivers for a completely different graphics card?

Doesn't appear to cause any problems (yet) but still annoying.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Mojo wrote:Anyone else having problems with Windows Update downloading and installing drivers for a completely different graphics card?

Doesn't appear to cause any problems (yet) but still annoying.

Cant say I have ever had a problem, but then again I have an Nvidia card, so use the Nvidia Geforce Experience app to update the drivers, not windows update.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 pm

No no, I don't use Windows Update to install drivers at all. I have that disabled, but it still insists on downloading AMD drivers for the R9 380 that I used to have installed, despite me having a GTX 970 now.

It's just broken.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Mojo wrote:No no, I don't use Windows Update to install drivers at all. I have that disabled, but it still insists on downloading AMD drivers for the R9 380 that I used to have installed, despite me having a GTX 970 now.

It's just broken.

In previous versions of windows when that happened, you would boot-up in 'safe mode', then go to the device manager, and remove all listed devices except the one you have. Not sure how you enable safe mode in windows 10, you may have to enable it first. But the principle is the same.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Turn off auto update drivers, I had a problem where it kept downloading drivers for my wheel every time I plugged it in. It would download the wrong ones and overwrite the correct ones, stopping my wheel from working properly. :x
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I appreciate it guys, but neither of those things are the issue.

The AMD GPU is already uninstalled in every conventional way, including Display Driver Uninstaller and I already have Windows Update set to not install drivers at all (I have the whole plethora of hacks for Windows Update/Windows 10 to make it not shit).

Anyway, it's a known issue: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2115 ... onger-have

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 am

What an annoying error. At least it's a known issue. Surely there's a service pack win 10 coming soon?

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 am

What an annoying error. At least it's a known issue. Surely there's a service pack win 10 coming soon?

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World