The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
eVoL

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Postby eVoL » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:10 am

Another....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-BX200-2 ... deals03-21
Crucial BX200 240GB £40

Think I'll grab one for my steam folder. Part of it at least!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:38 pm

The only good thing about the BX200/Toshiba Q300/OCZ Trion is that they're pushing the price of SSDs down. Other than that, they are terrible compared to good TLC and or any MLC flash based SSD.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:06 pm

I can't wait for the 2-4TB SSD's are like the price of the mechanical's then buy them for games. I tend to only put on the online games I play the most on my current ones. And the Os obviously.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Not actually going to buy it, and not sure if it's an error:

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/inspi ... ?ref=PD_OC

If you click customise on the model without the monitor, it actually includes a monitor for £514.80.

Not a bad price for Windows 10 Pro, i5-6400, Office 2016 Home and Business, 23" 1080p IPS, excellent 3 year warranty and a year of McAfee. And free delivery. If I didn't already have my PC, I'd definitely jump on this to use a base for future upgrades - only need to replace the PSU and GPU.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:32 pm

Went to Amazon to spend £10 on a mousemat. Ended up spending £200 on a new keyboard and mouse. Sigh.

Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB
I've been using a £20 Logitech wireless keyboard for the last two years. It was originally supposed to be a stopgap as I'd already spent too much on my new PC at the time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it except for the fact that it's really boring and I haven't bought a needlessly expensive gaming peripheral in over a year. There are two things I wanted from the replacement; backlighting and mechanical keys. When I started investigating, it seems like this was the best priced one that had fully customizable lighting effects (Amazon had it for £40 off, it was £119 rather than £159). Will I use fully customizable lighting effects? No idea, but the ability to make certain keys light up in a different colour to everything else seemed like a nice idea. Ask me again in a year's time. Also the top row of keys flash alternately red and blue when you have a wanted rating in GTAV. SOLD.

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse
...is a stupid name. I've been using a Cyborg MMO 7 for three or four years, and it made sense when I played a lot of WoW (it has an in-game WoW addon where you could just drag spells to specific mouse buttons, which was just so much easier than binding things the traditional way), but it's just not as nice for other genres, and the 3rd button is starting to get a little dodgy. I also never quite got used to the much flatter profile. And it's a real pain to clean too; all of the interchangeable and configurable ergonomic parts collect cat hair like nothing else, as it's basically filled with holes. The G502 gets fantastic reviews and seems to be regarded as the best gaming mouse at the moment.The clincher was the ability to switch the scroll wheel between a good, clicky wheel, and a frictionless one you can just spin like a flywheel; a feature I really missed from my MX Revolution. And I bought the one with the silly RGB lighting because the standard model has a rubbish teal trim, and it was only an extra fiver.

Mouse pad
I'm not going to provide a photo or the proper name; it's a bit of black cloth with a rubber bottom - use your imagination. It's rectangular and 90cm wide. It'll be better than not having a mouse pad as has been the case for years. It doesn't have any LED lighting or configurable hotkeys. It's taken me so long to buy it because shopping for mouse pads is fucking boring.

I'll have an in-depth review of the mouse pad on wednesday when this all arrives. If there's any interest, I can talk about the keyboard and mouse too. Also I bought two Nerf guns, because I'm a 30 year old child.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 pm

I've got a Logitech G502 too. Lovely mouse. It was one hell of an upgrade from a 5-button standard Microsoft ball-mouse. The software for it is quite in depth when it comes to setting up different profiles too.

Ridiculously high DPI though. I keep it set at more or less the lowest possible for everything.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 am

Yep I have the mouse too, and it is unquestionably the best mouse I have ever owned.

That keyboard though, does it come with sunglasses to wear in case you ever accidentally look at it? 8)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:07 am

Mantis wrote:I've got a Logitech G502 too. Lovely mouse. It was one hell of an upgrade from a 5-button standard Microsoft ball-mouse. The software for it is quite in depth when it comes to setting up different profiles too.

Ridiculously high DPI though. I keep it set at more or less the lowest possible for everything.

Yeah same, it's a fantastic mouse. I use a hard mousemat and it gliiiiiides so smoothly it's lovely.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:31 am

Snowy wrote:That keyboard though, does it come with sunglasses to wear in case you ever accidentally look at it? 8)

Why would I do that? The magenta really sets off my eyes.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 am

I like the idea of parts of the keyboard lighting up in different colours, could be really useful in some games.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:59 pm

So my extensive review of the mouse mat, as promised.

It's a mouse mat. It's a bit bigger than I expected. It works as described.

The keyboard is likely going to take a bit of getting used to, but I think that's going to be the same with any new keyboard. The mechanical switches aren't quite as clacky as others I've used (reviews likened them to Cherry MX Browns), but they're still a lot nicer to type on than the cheap wireless one I'm replacing. The love-em-or-hate-em keycaps are certainly very different; I'm really not sure why Logitech went with these odd angled concave designs, but they certainly feel quite a bit different. There is a more traditional set available to replace them, so I'll see how I go. I really wish they hadn't put extra markings on the WASD keys; it's distracting when typing, and completely unnecessary given that you can change them to a different colour anyway. The software is pretty nice, though there are tonnes of config options I've not had chance to delve into yet. Certainly setting up a custom colour scheme is an absolute doddle; you select your colour, and then just click (or drag a box over) the desired keys on the interface.

The mouse is a lot narrower than I pictured; I'm used to having a pinkie finger rest, but with this it's barely touching the mouse. Otherwise it's a very nice mouse; it certainly feels more accurate than the Cyborg it's replacing, although that may just be my imagination. The 'sniper' button is far better placed though, and is actually useable on this (the RAT had the sniper button as part of the 4-way hat switch on the side, meaning it was far too easy to activate one of the other functions, and was practically useless if your finger was oily). The G logo is pulsing red, like some sort of stealthy replacement heart.

The Nerf guns are fun, and surprisingly accurate. These things used to be absolutely rubbish when I was a kid, but I can hit a target indoors without much trouble.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Picked up this lovely office number:

BenQ BL2700HT, 27" AMVA IPS, 1080p.

To replace a Dell U2515H, which is going to a friend, for a number of reasons:

My eyesight is getting worse and 1440p at 25" results in my hunching on my desk.

My ageing GTX 670 2GB isn't up to 1440p in most games, and scaling them to lower resolutions looks awful.

The BenQ is actually quite nice for the price I paid.

Although, what is it with monitor manufacturers and default brightness? Who ever uses it at 100%?!?! Even 50% is too high.

NG

Postby NG » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:18 am

Mojo, I recommend using f.lux. I have my monitor colour calibrated & when I'm using the PC in dark lighting, it's still too bright.
With f.lux you can have it on all day and when you want it off, temporarily for 1 hour or for the day, you just select the option & it's done, no messing around with anything complicated.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 am

Raid wrote:I really wish they hadn't put extra markings on the WASD keys; it's distracting when typing

You look at your keyboard when typing?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:54 am

On a new keyboard, yes.

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware