The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Lee

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:39 pm

That's the sound of your soul being sucked out after buying it! And I'll beat everyone to the punch and say the other thing you're all saying "No Lee that is you going about Nvidia making that sound!" :P

I think that's normal to be honest. Give it time and you'll not even notice it :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm not happy with it and for £220 I don't want a card in my system that makes a drone all the time so I'm going to return it and just get a refund.

EDIT: Just for reference it sounds much like this.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=vpzsk5&s=9#.VmnN1eKvaol
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Ah I take it the PC case is right next to you then? As I would just move the case under the desk or as far away as possible.
I don't know of any reliable guides on audio levels that you could look at to find a replacement as it's too much of a personal taste to be honest.

Maybe this GTX 970 The cooling on that is generally better so it's quieter.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Yeah it's right next to me. I might just wait and see if I can grab a deal in the January sales as the reason I went with it was because it was only £220, I don't really want to spend £260 on a card.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:20 am

If that card is anything like the one Asus with a similar 2 fan set up, it's the one to get if you're after a quiet(er) 970.
I'd say it's only a 40 quid difference, so what's the problem, but it's probably way smarter to see if comes down in the upcoming sales. :P
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Ok this is weird. So I realised that if I sent the card back it would cost me £11 in postage so I thought I would leave it over the weekend and see if I could live with the sound. So I put the card back in the system and..er..the whine has almost completely gone.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:49 pm

All the whining is now confined to this thread. :P

PaladinAl

Postby PaladinAl » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Got a PS4 with Blops 3 for £250, figure that's as good a deal as I'm gonna get in the near future. Will just trade the game, guess I might play it for a little bit to see what CoD games are actually like but the whole military leanings genuinely make me feel uncomfortable so I might keep myself untainted [-o<
"O men, how long shall my honour be turned into shame?"
@alunparker1987

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:57 pm

It left any pretense of being a military game in CoD4, its just the daftest of action movies since then though I think MW2 had other ideas but it failed at them.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:36 am

Since its the season of giving. I gave myself lots. ¬____¬

So first, to stop my impulse getting the better of me and dropping a grand on a surface I bought
Cherrytrail, 2gig, chinky knockoff for £45 in the black fridays. It does basic things fine but it just wasnt enough to stop that itch! Its 8inch and thats kind of too small for a windows touch interface and with no pen support its a bit... meh.

So then I bought....
Dell Venue 11, i5, 8gig, 256gig, simcard refurb. Now this is more like it it :) 11 inch works well with touch and after mucking about pen support is kind of required for a Windows tablet. It a bunch of games decently (Dota and Starcraft 2 work well, Street Fighter 4 allows you to fry an egg on it), does everything else perfectly. Quite impressed with it! I'm sure the Surface 4 does a lot better but I dont think it does them £800 better so my Surface itch is scratched..... FOR NOW!

And last but not least I bought this thing of absolute beauty
Maaaaan, its one of the nicest things Ive seen since Joan Severance in the shower in See No Evil Hear No Evil.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:56 pm

eVoL wrote:Maaaaan, its one of the nicest things Ive seen since Joan Severance in the shower in See No Evil Hear No Evil.

Ah yes, happy times. Kelly LeBrock in Woman in Red as well. Thems were the days.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
eVoL wrote:Maaaaan, its one of the nicest things Ive seen since Joan Severance in the shower in See No Evil Hear No Evil.

Ah yes, fapping times. Kelly LeBrock in Woman in Red as well. Thems were the days.

:P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Bit late to post this in the christmas thread, but these are the things I done bought with my christmas monies (plus some from myself).

Machine for the making of the coffees
Not sure if this really counts as tech, but sod it, I'm not making posts in two threads. I've been using an aeropress for a few years, and although it makes coffee that tastes incredible, it's far too strong for me to have more than one cup per day, and I've never been able to find a reliable medium. It also only makes one cup at a time, and it can be a bit of a faff. We have one of the best coffee bean roasters in the country here in Lancaster, so switching back to instant (even good instant) would be sacrilege. Now I need only press one button, wait 10 seconds, and then press a second button to have delicious caffeinated goodness in the morning. If I'm feeling frugal, I'll press the first button a second time to turn the machine off afterwards. It deposits used coffee into a bin inside the machine after every use, so I don't need to clean it after every cup either.

Snazzy pedometer slash smart band slash heartrate monitor slash medical tricorder slash exercise thing
I loved the design of the original Microsoft Band, but never got around to buying one. They then released a second model that was wearable by humans with human wrists. Yes, it's something to encourage me to start exercising more, yes, it may fail spectacularly to do so. But it's quite pretty. My partner bought one two days later after getting gadget envy.

Holy fuck did Raid buy a bloody drone?!
Yes, yes he did. This was not he. I will be using it to spy on my neighbours and conduct anti-terrorism operations. Or, y'know, fly around and make videos of stuff legally, I have zero interest in the doings of other people when I'm not at my horrible job. I have so far gotten it off the ground once, really only to test it and ensure it flies correctly as it wasn't brand new (it was an Amazon warehouse deal). My garden is approximately 7 inches wide, and I have since found out that I may have been using the flight mode that stops the aircraft from maintaining position via GPS, meaning that I mostly shat myself trying to make sure it didn't hit the fence. I've also bought a bag to carry it in, which will allow me to get to a nearby open area without being arrested / mugged on the way. I will report back tomorrow after I've crashed it properly.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to allow the moths back into my wallet for a while.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 pm

No crashes! Excitement!
So you can have the controller set up like a console FPS, so the left stick controls forward, backward and strafing movement, while the right controls rotation and altitude. So mostly like an FPS. It's an absolute doddle to fly in this way. It's a little shaky in the wind, but the GPS keeps it largely still, and it'll sit and hover if you don't give it any inputs. I think that's why these things are in the news so often for negative reasons; they're so ridiculously simple to control when everything's working, but it's a false sense of security because as soon as something goes wrong (say the GPS loses its signal), you're controlling a light aircraft that can drop out of the sky and kill someone if you do something wrong. On my next outing I'll try it without the GPS on to see how it handles without the aid of positional stability. It does have a barometer that will keep the altitude stable, but that won't stop it from drifting.

So far I've played it relatively safe, flying only within the confines of the local cricket ground, and only when there were no dog walkers nearby (I have no idea how pets react to these and I'll purposely crash the thing before I injure one). The battery will give about 20 minutes of flight (and it automatically returns to the spot it took off from when it reaches 30% charge to allow it to land itself safely), so it wasn't a long trip, but this is one of those things you dream about owning as a kid and I'm still a bit giddy. I fucking love living in the future.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Wooo cool, but when are we getting the real pictures? If you know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink say no more etc etc. :P

What's the chances of getting it down the chimney in the distance there? That would be some dynamite footage right there. It would be like an inverted Everest climb. Dead Santas left right and center.

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware