Eyes On a PC Build

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Subway Diet

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Bugger.

Well, can't return the 970 now.
Frivolous as it is, I might as well stick to the insane plan. Jump up to an i7 and all just to really go all in for a lark. It'll at least be future proof. :P

New components now, then buy a hot card with whatever mind boggling new tech Nvidia have lined up for their next GPU series in 2016. I'm sure a 970 could handle itself for a year. The old 670 lasted three.

Then again, if anyone knows a way to make back 250 quid on a card, I'd be interested. :-k
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Why would a processor that performs pretty much the same as your current processor be more futureproof than... your current processor?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Quietman wrote:Why would a processor that performs pretty much the same as your current processor be more futureproof than... your current processor?
I'll get back to you on that one. :-k
End of an Era

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:03 am

Keep the card, spend the extra on hookers and blackjack.

Or, you know, keep it for the next CPU generation....
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:04 am

Hnngh.
I guess financial responsibility is winning out in the end.
Figured that I should put it into something solid that'll last. Upgrade my PC in such a way that should the last CPU to use this new socket type be a real hum dinger, I could drop it in at the end of this generations life-cycle and keep going. Same idea with the potential advances in DDR4.

That was my thinking, anyway.
I'm just worried that I'll be tempted to fritter the cash away on silly small things. A game here, an album there and before I know it, boof, hundred odd quid slipped through my fingers.

You know, I was interested in getting a good hi-fi, but I can't justify getting one while living in semi-detached housing. I don't want to be that neighbour. Already spent 8 months living in flat where the dick head upstairs would play loud music and it irritated the shit out of me.

Maybe a new monitor? My old one is starting to show vertical lines of pixels when it first turns on. That said, it works just fine after being warmed up. Plus a larger screen might not be the best thing if I'm already pretty close to my screen. I dunno.

Damn it. I'm so bad with money. :(
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Oh! What about getting a second GTX 970 and going for SLI? Similar or higher performance that the top of the line cards, but with twice the electricity bill!

Wow. I really am despirate to throw this money away. :?
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:52 pm

SLI is a waste of money really, there's a lot of games that still won't actually utilise the second GPU, or if they do they have issues.

Why can't you return the 970 and get a 980Ti?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:45 pm

Quietman wrote:SLI is a waste of money really, there's a lot of games that still won't actually utilise the second GPU, or if they do they have issues.

Why can't you return the 970 and get a 980Ti?
Yeah, I figured as much.

Can't return the 970 because it's been opened. Can't do returns on opened goods if there's not a fault. :(
I was considering putting it onto ebay. Will probably make a bit of the money back, but there's also the bugger of fees and waiting about for days while nobody bothers to bid and other boring nuisances.

Hm, Ok. I'll put it on Amazon for 200 quid. See if anyone bites. Losing 50 quid, but you can call that Stupid Tax.

Actually... no. I'm going to keep this card. Won't be trying to push anything higher than 1080 for the foreseeable future and have no issues with turning off anti-aliasing for more frames. Will wait for the next range of Nvidia cards as originally planned. Maybe I'll waste the cash, maybe I won't, but for now I'll at least try and save it. :P

Haha. This is some thread. You get to see my fevered thoughts playing out infront of your very eyes!
End of an Era

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:39 pm

:lol:

This thread is a masterclass in flip-flopery.

Never change Subby. :)

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Can't return the 970 because it's been opened. Can't do returns on opened goods if there's not a fault. :(!

I'm sensing a way out of this predicament.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Haha as was I!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Wait, you don't think there's actually a chance sabotage might work?

I'm not actually considering this, am I? :shock:

What have I become?
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:27 pm

I think if you tried returning it as faulty they would just send you out another one.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 am

Didn't the laws change about refunds from 7 to 30 days no questions back in the UK? Can't stop you returning it even if it's not faulty for a refund.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:04 am

Again, I've checked the website and the receipt. Both of which point out that the packaging has to be unopened. Unless what they're saying is unlawful and they just hoped nobody would call them out on it, I'm pretty much stuck with the card now unless I wish to sell it myself.
And I also run afoul of the Snowy Manifesto.

Once again, see:

You don’t have to refund a customer if they:

knew an item was faulty when they bought it
damaged an item by trying to repair it themselves or getting someone else to do it (though they may still have the right to a repair, replacement or partial refund)
no longer want an item (eg because it’s the wrong size or colour) unless they bought it without seeing it

Oh, and I saw it alright!

But again, it's fine. I'm happy waiting for whatever egregiously extravagant cards Nvidia comes up with next.
That said, I was thinking wouldn't having a super duper, top o' the line card make the CPU and RAM become the next major performance bottle neck? I'm already seeing benchmarks for recent games showing as much.

Well. I'm sure you can guess where that train of thought leads me back to... :lol:
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware