Apple ][

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Apple ][

Postby Raid » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Quietman wrote:Thought I didn't know the Surface 3 non-pro ran full Windows too.

Many don't, hence why I wrote that. They abandoned Windows RT after the Surface 2.

I'm not really comparing iOS to Windows RT; they're similar in function and capability as operating systems, but iOS has such an incredible variety of apps that it isn't such a massive downside as it was with Windows RT. It's the inability to install legacy software and games that sets them apart; I couldn't use the iPad Pro for Steam home streaming as I can with my Surface Pro for example.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:13 pm

All Surface 3's can run desktop apps. I think the RT version was the only version that was locked to the Windows store.

The US price for the ipad Pro is $699 so probably £650 here which makes you think why bother with it when you could just get a Mac Book instead if you really must have an Apple product.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm doing that thing where I convince myself to buy something by doing little incremental purchaces. Like, today, I picked up a swanky, premium looking Apple external disk drive... for 60 quid. #-o

I'm going down this dark path, it seems. Wish me luck.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:16 pm

I'm sure everyone is utterly indifferent to my hemming and hawing, but I've managed to correct my course.
Will wait until the next hardware revision of the Mini before deciding to jump in or not. Instead, I'll be doing my original plan of spending a significantly less amount of money getting a Surface Pro 2. I'm after that Wacom input (the pen on the Pro 3 was shite!) and the ability to do 1 to 1 image mirroring with my current monitor.

Still, I'm intrigued by Macs, so I'm also picking up a cheap(ish) G4 mini from eBay to have something to play about with.

So, there we go.
End of an Era

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:31 pm

I think anyone who buys a 13'' £1000 iPad seriously needs to get their heads examined

c'mon you buy a really laptop with that sort of wonga. I cannot understand this blind faith the Apple fans have
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:24 pm

I can see the use it might have for business, but you just know that the cult of Apple will get swept up with it and end up buying them.

I'm not sure I'd want a 13" tablet, my ipad Air feels like the absolutely perfect size for what it's used for.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:00 pm

They do still have the best tablet experience, thats why they get away with more. Windows is catching up but droid is still such a shitshow- never understand anyone that buys a premium droid tablet in the ipad price range. Still too expensive though, too big too.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 am

I agree. Many moons ago I was in the market for a tablet and thought about Android. Glad I didn't bother. There is something about Android which seems lacking. I have a Samsung Note 3 and although the phone is good it just does not really feel like a gadget I cannot live without. My contract is up in April and will be in the market for a Win 10 phone
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:24 am

Since it's going around :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:46 am

Apple are fucking awful for doing that. Used to be they would make a talking head video for each major number jump of IOS and make it sound like they invented everything. Hell at that recent apple thing they tried to make out that they are the sole inventor and innovator in smart TV tech.
Achtung Englander wrote:I agree. Many moons ago I was in the market for a tablet and thought about Android. Glad I didn't bother. There is something about Android which seems lacking. I have a Samsung Note 3 and although the phone is good it just does not really feel like a gadget I cannot live without. My contract is up in April and will be in the market for a Win 10 phone
Its a budget OS and its great at that but theyve done a bunch to make it real rubbishy. People complain about how locked down IOS is but thats what makes it great because of the money people are willing to put into apps. My main reference point is the music apps but I'm constantly blown away with the stuff you can get on there for a tenner that would have cost £500+ not too many years ago. Full albums are being made on an iphone! Insanity! On droid theres fuck all except a fairly poor reason type clone and some chip tunes not just because bigger companies dont want to be easily pirated but because the latency in droid audio is real bad.

Doesnt come down to fanboyism because I cant stand the Apple "thing", especially their outward face which is like a much worse MS. IOS is a fucking awesome beast thats real well made. Windows might have a chance of unseating them in the long run with diversity of software but I think IOS focus on being a mobile/tablet focus might be able to trump windows on that front. I'm actually real curious what the latency would be like running Cubase on a surface with a USB interface. Just thinking about that makes me want a Surface right now :lol:

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:43 am

Lee wrote:Image

Since it's going around :P
Just to make sure it wasn't some kind of prank, I went to the site and dug about in the archives. Yeah. The guy really did manage to call the exact year Apple would copy the Surface.
Only "problem" being that in the post script, the author went fan boy, pretty much cheering on Apple for doing these things as he figured any good ideas from Microsoft would be made better by Apple.

The guy had a whiff of fanny about him, so I stayed my hand from posting the comic. :P
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:01 pm

So, I'm finally using the Mac Mini. Typing this very forum post on it, even! :o
Not coming at this like some kind of super power user, it's certainly meeting my needs. Well, all but one.

What ass thought it was a smart idea to not include a per-program volume mixer? It's the rare silly little thing in Windows I found myself using a whole lot. For all the multimedia chat Apple likes to go on about, it seems like a strange omission. Worse still, "there's an app for that."
£3.99 for the privilege to download some wonky looking program to add the functionality. Aw c'mon!

I mean, other that that getting up my nose, I'm enjoying it. :)
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm

So, after a month of going all in on Apple, I'm making plans to sell the Mini.
Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed my time with it. The software is a lot of fun. And the hardware? So cute, so compact and so friggin quiet! Goodness me. I fired up my old PC again and it sounds like there's some awful loud thing in here with me. Might look into buying a quieter case fan or something just to bring idle noise down somewhat.

But, whatever. It was a combination of guilt for buying something rather expensive I didn't really need and a lack of dedicated graphics card that ultimately did me in. The plan is now to take whatever money I get from ebay, put it aside and start saving up for either a full fat Mac or an Alienware Alpha type deal to buy once I've thoroughly ran this system into the ground.

Kinda wish I realised this within the no-questions return period. :P
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 am

A bit niche but Korg Gadget and Module are all half price this week. Even the base thing itself is a bit of a steal at £15.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:27 pm

So..who..here..(snigger) going..to..get...(suppressed laughter)the...new...iphone...(hahaha)..with...no...audio...jack...but..you...can...buy..a...really..expensive..audio...headphones :D

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware