What are you reading - 2014

For your aural and visual pleasure.
gpa-gone-west

Re: What are you reading - 2013

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Snowy wrote:Also, anyone wanting a good read should pick up Scarecrow by Matthew Pritchard. Bit of a plug really - he is a newly published author, and also my best mate - properly published though, not some self-pub rubbish - the book is a crime thriller and is genuinely worth your time.

So do a poor-as-a-church-mouse author a favour and buy it. I can get anyone's copy signed if they like.

I actually bought that for my kindle yesterday. Haven't started reading it yet though.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Snowy wrote:
Also, anyone wanting a good read should pick up Scarecrow by Matthew Pritchard. Bit of a plug really - he is a newly published author, and also my best mate - properly published though, not some self-pub rubbish - the book is a crime thriller and is genuinely worth your time.

So do a poor-as-a-church-mouse author a favour and buy it. I can get anyone's copy signed if they like.

I might give that a look once I have cleared my Christmas backlog as I like a good crime thriller.

I've just finished I am Zlatan and anyone who is a fan of sports books, or autobiographies in general should pick it up. It's a great read and gives you a real insight into the player himself. It's also very frank which is unusual for an autobiography and part of the reason why it has been so highly praised. I have come out of it having a lot more respect for Ibrahimovic than I did before I started reading the book.

It's definitely worth a read over say Ferguson's piece of tripe.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Scrappy

Re: What are you reading - 2014

Postby Scrappy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:14 am

Shogun

Blackthorne and his crew have washed up on the shores of Feudal Japan during the 1600's. It's a story about his rise from barbarian to advisor of the Shogun.

Really, really decent read this so far. 1.2k pages, and i'm about 200 in. The action never stops and it switches perspective between Blackthorne and a few of the more important characters. You learn some Japanese and a lot about the culture as well. Enjoying it immensely.

Loosely based on this interesting chap : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:23 am

Reading Johnny Vegas/Michael Pennington's autobiography atm, not what you'd expect. Got to his 'teens so far, bundle of laughs it ain't. Good read though.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 am

Quietman wrote:Picked up Volume 1 of Sandman the other day, just finished reading it. Fell in love with it very quickly and can see why it's so highly spoken of.

Just on Volume 3 myself and have Volume 4 waiting. Went through Volume 2 in one night. Brilliant series this.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Parent's got me the Hardback Beast of a book that is the first Omnibus, Love it to pieces.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Sigur Ros wrote:Shogun

Blackthorne and his crew have washed up on the shores of Feudal Japan during the 1600's. It's a story about his rise from barbarian to advisor of the Shogun.

Really, really decent read this so far. 1.2k pages, and i'm about 200 in. The action never stops and it switches perspective between Blackthorne and a few of the more important characters. You learn some Japanese and a lot about the culture as well. Enjoying it immensely.

Loosely based on this interesting chap : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Don't be tempted by the TV adaptation, I remembered it fondly from when I were a nipper, picked it up again a few years ago, and fuck me what a hackneyed load of romantically crippled fanny...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am

:D Happy Dr@gon.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:47 am

Valour, the second in the 'Faithful and the Fallen' series by John Gwynne (the first being Malice).

Early days on book 2 so can't comment too much on it, but anyone looking for a good fantasy title could do an awful lot worse than grab the first in the series.

To save me some time, here is the Amazon review that I posted on it (ignore the shameful plug for my mate's debut - buy his book though!)

Snowy on Amazon wrote:So last night I finished Malice, the first instalment in a new fantasy series The Faithful and the Fallen and the debut from John Gwynne.

I picked this up on the back of the Amazon recommendations function, which has yielded some gems and some turds in its time. To set the scene, I had just finished another lengthy fantasy series which I had enjoyed a lot, and found myself without a read. I had Malice along with a couple of others bought and sat on my Kindle waiting to be read, and remembered that it had got good reviews, so I started to read.

I read the first chapter, thinking `so far, so similar', nothing particularly novel or new to the way the story begins. Following the introduction of a villain in that first scene, we are treated to the musings of an ancient giant, reciting a story of the past. At this point I felt that the story was pure hackneyed pulp fantasy and put it aside, starting a different book.

Thankfully for me, the other book was terrible.

I went back to the Amazon pages, wondering how I had bought two dud tales, and re-read the comments and reviews for Malice. Hold on, Conn Iggulden, an author I enjoy, praising the title and likening it both to the late (and greatly missed) David Gemmell and GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire? Other customer reviewers posting huge reviews praising it?

So I went back in, gave it another chance, and what a book!

It is a real slow burner, it creeps up on you and hooks you so gently you don't even realise you are hooked. There is definitely a whiff of Gemmell's Rigante to the setting - in my view no bad thing, the Rigante series were standouts in Gemmell's work for me. Mostly though I think the trick is that the book runs believably - the characters are normal, flawed, likeable, unpleasant, but not in a blatantly stereotypical way, the reader can associate with them. As other reviewers have posted there are some standard tropes in here, wise woman, mysterious teacher etc but they don't feel hackneyed, they just are who they are.

Gwynne also has a rare talent for combat, or rather the description thereof. Many books, especially in the fantasy genre, struggle to convey combat in a way that feels authentic. Gwynne's combat sequences are exceptionally well realised and believable.

Two other elements that I liked:
- There is very little magic in the book. What there is, so far at least, has had a druidic feel to it, which I didn't mind, it was not intrusive. I am not a fan of overly magic-centric fantasy novels.
- The world building is very light-touch. Gwynne has the rare talent to be able to set a scene for you, the reader, with a few sentences to paint you a picture. Hugely detailed world building in novels tends to put me to sleep; firstly, it is often not particularly inspiring; secondly I have read the entire Wheel of Time, so have spent all the time I want to reading the descriptions of a fantasy world! Gwynne's touch is reminiscent of Elmore Leonard in his ability to set a scene in few words, or more recently Matthew Pritchard (whose crime thriller debut Scarecrow I hugely enjoyed recently).

Special mention goes to the plot. It will keep you guessing as the story unfolds, with characters that you initially find likeable turning out to be anything but. Whilst the overall theme of the book is not overly original (and I would challenge fantasy readers to argue that they often are...), this is a deftly handled and exceptionally well written book. I was devastated when I came to the end, knowing I have over a month to wait for the second instalment and who knows how long for the third and any subsequent ones.

So - a five star review, this really is a belter, buy it now and enjoy it for yourself.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Snowy wrote:Valour, the second in the 'Faithful and the Fallen' series by John Gwynne (the first being Malice).

Early days on book 2 so can't comment too much on it, but anyone looking for a good fantasy title could do an awful lot worse than grab the first in the series.

To save me some time, here is the Amazon review that I posted on it (ignore the shameful plug for my mate's debut - buy his book though!)

Snowy on Amazon wrote:

Got both of these a while back, gonna put them to the front of my "to read" list after Mr Abercrombie.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri May 16, 2014 9:56 am

Just finished 'The Unbelievers' by Alastair Sim. Its a Scottish victorian murder mystery. I have had the book for a couple of years now but only just decided to read it. Very good, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I now have to decide what to read next. I have so many books I have bought over time and never opened any of them up. I may read 'War of the Dwarves' by Markus Heitz. I read the first one (Dwarves) a few years ago.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:45 pm

World War Z - Max Brooks

Well what a bloody good read that was. If only they'd made the film more like this instead of the Brad Pitt vehicle it turned out as.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Dr@gon-UK wrote:
Snowy wrote:Valour, the second in the 'Faithful and the Fallen' series by John Gwynne (the first being Malice).

Snowy on Amazon wrote:

Got both of these a while back, gonna put them to the front of my "to read" list after Mr Abercrombie.

Didn't get on at all with the second in the series. After the festival of awesomeness that was the debut, the change in style for the sequel just didn't work for me.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Dr@gon-UK wrote:World War Z - Max Brooks

Well what a bloody good read that was. If only they'd made the film more like this instead of the Brad Pitt vehicle it turned out as.

Reading The Zombie Survival Guide, fuck me it's a dull read. It's only saved by the historical accounts of zombie outbreaks near the end of the book, some of which are great.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Got that too but it's unread yet, I shall skip to the part you suggest, cheers mate. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature