Should John Terry be stripped of England captaincy?

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Yes
50%
No
30%
Who's John Terry?
20%

Total votes : 20

topfear

Postby topfear » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Screwed a team mate's wife, if you believe the press.

When it comes to club football, I don't expect the players to be saints. I don't even expect them to be nice people, in fact, as much as I support the players on the field, I couldn't think of anything worse than meeting these people in a bar or somewhere. They probably have too much time and money and are screwing each others girlfriends anyway. Wasn't it Terry who was involved in a roasting incident? (lol)

The country, however is different imo. You're effectively playing for the Queen, and I know for a FACT, the royal family never has affairs or anything like that.

Give the captain's armband to Ferdinand imo.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Yes, not necessarily for the above reasons. More for being a generally awful human being. Hate John Terry.

I'd actually like to see Rooney given the captaincy. Would hopefully give him even more of an impetus to carry on his club form to the World Cup.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I always wanted Gerrard to be captain back when Cappello came in, so I wouldn't be too unhappy if he was demoted. But I don't think they'll do that - 4 months before the WC starts so I doubt they'll want to shake things up right now.

He was a known scallywag before (worse stuff than porking someone's GF) and he still got the captaincy so I'm not sure how this changes things tbh.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:09 pm

tbh on current form I want Gerrard to be dropped. He's definitely not worth a place in the team on this year's evidence.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:15 pm

From what I understand he's been carrying a groin injury on&off throughout this season - depends if he can overcome that and get back to playing the way he was. But he has the will to win from midfield and can physically drag a team to victory, which was my main reasoning for wanting him to captain England.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Adam wrote:tbh on current form I want Gerrard to be dropped. He's definitely not worth a place in the team on this year's evidence.

Arh, see, you're looking at this wrong, if he's playing crap for Liverpool, then he's bound to start playing great for England.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:17 pm

I took 'Who's John Terry' as an I don't care option. Most of the English squad are having or have had affairs (allegedly). Not saying I agree with it, but they obviously do. Maybe it doesn't reflect well on us as a country, but really, these stories won't have even left the UK.
Last edited by Tommy on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topfear

Postby topfear » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Apparently Terry has just scored away from home. Again.

(had to be done)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:58 am

Oh no, I agree with both Adam's posts in this thread :shock:

Aside from the Rooney thing. Not really sure who I'd pick as captain though... maybe Lampard.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 am

It's not just the fact that he had an afair, but more the fact that he continues to make stupid decisions of the pitch that bring the captaincy into disrepute.

Rooney would be a good replacement, but my only fear would be that he has enough on his plate leading the line for England and being our main goal threat without also leading the team.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

jimbobjeff

Postby jimbobjeff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Private life irrelevant. If he can play to his normal standard England NEED him at the World Cup. Would rather Wayne Bridge was dropped from the Englad team to be honest, and we get someone like Steven Warnock/Leighton Baines as cover for Ashley Cole.
I believe in one God only, the God of Atheism.

XFire: Jimbobjeff85

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm

I don't think he should be dropped from the team, purely because we don't have anyone better. He makes some very, very questionable decisions regarding his personal life, and generally seems like a bit of a weasel of a fellow, but he's a good defender. We need him even more if Rio's injury problems don't pick up, which they're showing no sign of doing.

I do think he should lose the captaincy, though. For me, especially at international level, there's a big step up from merely being in the team, and leading the team into a World Cup final. Terry, while he might still have allies in the camp, is now in no position to be the general on the field. Either give it to a fully-fit Rio, or Rooney.

Rooney would be a good replacement, but my only fear would be that he has enough on his plate leading the line for England and being our main goal threat without also leading the team.

I wouldn't worry about it being too much for him psychologically, I'm fairly certain he could handle anything, but I'd worry about what it could do to his performances. If he's leading the team as well as the forward line, he might be tempted to break the discipline that has served him so well this season and go back to charging around after ever loose ball. An undisciplined Rooney is still the best player we have, but we need him in proper goal scoring form, and the captaincy could distract him from that.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

topfear

Postby topfear » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 pm

What about Lampard or Gerrard as captain?

JonB

Postby JonB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Urrgh, no thanks.

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:08 pm

As I said before, I'm not sure Gerrard is even worth a place in the starting line-up, and Lampard just isn't charismatic enough. Good player, certainly, but I can't imagine him leading the team.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Next

Return to A Question of Sport