It'sa me!

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK

Re: It'sa me!

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Have to say that's the weirdest reason not to play a Mario game I've ever read.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Well, that's not really the main reason, it's mainly because I never had any of those consoles growing up and whenever I did have access to them it was to play multiplayer games with friends. I've got 3D World and the Super Bros installment on Wii U but haven't really had a chance to just sit and try them yet, mainly out of the fact that I have so many other things to play that I already struggle to get round to.

That said, I do really find the concept of the characters very dull and repetitive. That wouldn't stop me enjoying the gameplay but it is still always going to be a little niggle I have.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Mario has almost nothing to him that defines him as a character. Nintendo even said recently that he's not even a plumber anymore, just a (surprisingly young) man with a moustache and red dungarees. His single trait seems to be exuberance. It absolutely doesn't matter; the games are defined by excellent physics and creativity, not by any adherence to story or consequence. Bowser and Peach are there as the most basic reason for Mario imperiling himself and little more.

I was a little surprised when my partner started playing one of the old Crash Bandicoot titles (the PS1 versions but on the PS4) at just how utterly primitive the actual platforming was. The jumping physics were *awful* with no inertia to speak of. It possibly looked a little better back in the day than Mario 64 did, but they look like the most frustrating games in the world to play. I think while Mario 64 took the series correctly into three dimensions, Crash seemed to adapt 2D gameplay to a 3D environment and it didn't really work. I don't know when the PS1 received analogue controllers, but control seemed to be pretty much locked to four directions, and was basically the same in the third game of the series.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

1998 is around about the time the Playstation started making more significant use of the analogue sticks I think, Crash 3 certainly benefited from it. Though that was sort of the whole deal with Playstation era platformers and third person games, the challenge was in mastering the very tight controls as much as it was beating the level design. They all had a specific physics style where things felt quite heavy and slow, not to everyone's tastes but I grew up with that. I certainly had a lot of fun replaying the HD edition of the Crash trilogy a couple of months ago, though I think Jak & Daxter is where Naughty Dog really hit gold with their platformer design. The first Jak & Daxter game has a great story, good characters, lovely level design and just generally fun gameplay, I rate it as one of the best platform games ever made.

That's where I think Mario falls down for me, he's just an avatar given a generic purpose as an excuse for throwing him through the levels. As much as I'd enjoy it, I still prefer it when games have some sort of meaningful story or character to them. Maybe I'll give 3D World a proper spin this weekend.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am

Well, that's not really the main reason, it's mainly because I never had any of those consoles growing up and whenever I did have access to them it was to play multiplayer games with friends.

That makes more sense.

I enjoyed Jak and Daxter a lot, but I don't think the story was any great shakes. Dismissing Mario because it lacks story is pretty short sighted, can it not just be played for the fun of it? Would you put Tetris or Puyo Pop in the same boat as neither of them have a story?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 am

It wasn't just the story of that game though, it also had very amusing writing, memorable characters and was just generally charming.

And yes, I'd probably put Tetris and Puyo Pop in the same boat because I'm not really much of a fan of endless arcade games. They feel too much like time wasters to me and I get bored of them very quickly. I haven't dismissed Mario though, I'm literally going to play it this weekend!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:36 am

Fair enough. One thing I will say is that 3D World is probably the weakest of the 3D Mario games, so it isn't the one I would recommend someone started with.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 am

One of Mario's other defining character traits is how he isn't Indiana Jones.

A priceless artifact hidden beneath the landscape.

Wait, what are you doing?

Stop it! This belongs in a museum!

STOP PUNCHING IT IN THE FACE.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:37 am

To be fair, Indy trashed most of the places of extreme archaeological importance that he visited.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:43 am

Yes, but not deliberately to acquire artifacts to power his airship to stop a dragon stealing a wedding dress. Well, I mean there are parts of the fourth film I don't remember, but I don't think that was part of it.

Plus look how bored Mario looks. Indy always looked fed up, but not bored. Totally different.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:04 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Fair enough. One thing I will say is that 3D World is probably the weakest of the 3D Mario games, so it isn't the one I would recommend someone started with.

3D world is great! Better than galaxy if only for the lack of sphere levels and pointer rubbish.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:54 am

eVoL wrote:
DjchunKfunK wrote:Fair enough. One thing I will say is that 3D World is probably the weakest of the 3D Mario games, so it isn't the one I would recommend someone started with.

3D world is great! Better than galaxy if only for the lack of sphere levels and pointer rubbish.

im actually a huge fan of Mario galaxy games, when the first one came out I biked to the mall to get it and then played it non stop since i didn't have a job at the time.

already called the walmarts around me and none of em have mario odyssey in stock so might get shafted having it today, going to try gamestop at 8am before work and hopefully they had extra copys.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:41 pm

When there’s no spheres or pointer rubbish they’re grade A fantastic but those bits just got on my tits. I think 64 is the best 3D one but I’m never sure if it’s because it’s the purest most straight forward or if it’s nostalgic love. I did replay it on DS and still thought it was fab.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 pm

eVoL wrote:

eVoL how could you?! My poor heart, split asunder by your blasphemous words.

[-X

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:09 pm

At its best, galaxy is better ;)

That do? -_-

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds