It'sa me!

Console Country!
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

It'sa me!

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:35 am

Mario games then. I love Mario games, they're always a highlight of a console generation and one of only a few series that I'm happy to pre-order without hesitation, because I know they'll be good. There've been a few retrospectives published in the last week due to Mario Odyssey releasing tomorrow, and I realised last night that I've actually owned every main-series home-console Mario platformer since the original. I think it surprised me most to realise that there haven't actually been all that many of them given the character's ubiquity; he's just starred in so many sub-games and other genre titles:

NES
-Super Mario Bros.
-Super Mario Bros. 2
-Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (The Japan-only SMB2)
-Super Mario Bros. 3

SNES
-Super Mario World

N64
-Super Mario 64

Gamecube
-Super Mario Sunshine

Wii
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Super Mario Galaxy 2

Wii U
-Super Mario 3D World

Switch
-Super Mario Odyssey

Perhaps I should include the New Super Mario Bros. titles in that list, but they always felt like simple stopgaps while waiting for the real thing. Plus it would ruin my streak, I didn't own NSMB Wii.

Anyway, I'd struggle to call any one of those even average; they're almost all superb. I could probably rank them in order, but suffice to say that SMB3 is my favourite 2D title, and Sunshine my favourite 3D one. I'm aware that some will call me an idiot for either of those choices. I always enjoyed SMB3 because it felt like the purer platformer than SMW, which felt more like half-adventure, half-platformer. I imagine I prefer Sunshine to 64 simply because I played it first; I didn't own an N64 so didn't get the game until the DS version. The two Galaxy games were *good*, but I always disliked the silly pointer / waggle moves that really didn't add anything.

I think that despite advances in technology, the Super Mario series has remained surprisingly unchanged in the 30+ years its been going. If you sorta gloss over SMB2's weirdness (because it was never designed to be a Mario game at all), the movesets and themes have remained fairly static. Looking down the list, there're only really a handful of big new additions; flight in SMB3, the various types of jump in 64, and Fludd in Sunshine. They're making a big deal about the "cap-ture" mechanic in Odyssey, so I suspect that'll be another, but I doubt it'll last beyond Odyssey (or any direct sequels). I'd love to see Fludd show up in an Odyssey world, I always felt the hover ability made for some truly devious platforming because it allowed for a little wiggle-room in terms of player skill. Mario Galaxy 2 had a remake of one of the early worlds from 64 (together with a glorious remix of the original soundtrack), so if we could get a remake of Bianco Hills, that'd be great.

I never really got on with Galaxy's concept of planetoids rather than full levels, something the sequel improved upon but didn't fix entirely. I think that's the reason I'm so looking forward to Odyssey; it's a return to the large worlds with multiple features and paths and untold numbers of secrets.

eVoL

Re: It'sa me!

Postby eVoL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 am

My Mario Switch is out for delivery. That itallian twonk just cost me £300 >_<

But yeah, all great except NSMB on the Wii which was very average. It felt like a Mario clone rather than a Mario Mario. Also never got on with Yoshis Island but not because it was a bad game, just didnt like it much mostly the Yoshiness of it.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 am

I think had the SNES not had so many stone-cold classics, Yoshi's Island could well have been my favourite game on the system when I owned one. Sadly I've found it very difficult to go back to, whereas SMW has always felt great. Perhaps it's the frustrating baby Mario mechanic, or the fact that the controls for egg throwing feel woefully outdated.

I've got Odyssey pre-ordered as a digital code from Amazon, so I won't get it until midnight.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Couldn't help myself.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah, I've played basically every Mario except for Mario Sunshine because I never owned a gamecube, i've been hoping for a remake of it so I would get to play it eventually but i'm still waiting. Mario 64 is probably my favorite one that ive replayed numerous times, at one point went out and bought an N64 and mario64 just cause the game got brought up in a conversation and I wanted to play it again.

I been waiting for Mario Odyssey since the switch released, the Zelda game is the only one that has really held my attention for more then a few weeks for that system but im sure Mario Odyssey will be another game I cant put down.

sucks cause I just bought the new south park but my plan is for the wife to play southpark on the ps4 while I dig into Mario odyssey.

I didn't pre-order it but will probably try picking it up at Walmart Friday morning before work

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 pm

I've been tempted by the Bowser amiibo as well Raid, but I went with the Koopa instead. I'm waiting in hope that they do a ShyGuy.

Looking back over the Mario series I'm surprised at how few of them I have actually completed despite loving the series. I think 64 is the only one I have got to the end and that is the first end, not the 120 stars or whatever it was. Super Mario Bros 2 is the other one that I have come closest to completing.

I'm hopeful that Odyssey will be a return to form, wasn't overly keen on 3D World. The best thing to come out of that game was the Toad levels.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm notoriously bad for finishing games these days; of all the games I've bought in the last five years with an obvious end-point, even the ones I've absolutely loved, I've maybe finished two or three. I think I've finished every game up to and including the first Mario Galaxy (though I doubt I ever 100% completed any of the 3D ones). I barely even touched 3D World - the first few hours were so insultingly easy that I quickly lost interest. I'll go back to it at some point, but who knows when.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 pm

It's reassuring to read such glowing reviews. I must admit I really didn't think much of the game's reveal, largely because it seemed to suggest that the "New Donk City" stage was actually the hub world, and I hated the mixed aesthetics.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Right, confession time: I've never played a Mario game from the eponymous main series. :oops: The closest I've come is a couple of rounds of Mario Kart years ago and more recently, Rabbids Kingdoms. I've got Odyssey on pre-order and while I have some idea what to expect, in some ways I realise I have NO idea what to expect. Should be interesting.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 pm

You are in for a treat.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Wahoo!

(That's.... that's a Mario thing, right?)
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm

It's basically his whole deal.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:36 pm

I only played Mario 64, but I never got more than halfway through. Zelda:OoT came out at the same time & blew it out the water, and I never went back to Mario after that.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:22 pm

I've never really got into the main franchise Mario games, something tells me I should because I love platformers and whenever you look at game design lectures they always hold Mario up as a beacon of excellent design. Growing up with Playstation, I missed Mario 64 and Sunshine and have always preferred my platformers to have a little more character or grit to them. There's something about every Mario game being the same kid-friendly chase after Bowser that I find a bit insipid. I imagine if I actually played them through properly I'd probably really like them though, 3D World was alright when I fired it up on Wii U for a bit.

I've also played every Mario Kart title to death, so clearly the characters aren't entirely off-putting for me.

Next

Return to Consoles & Handhelds