Nintendo Switch!

Console Country!
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Nintendo Switch!

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am

My only real concern with my console so far has been the connectivity issue between the joy cons and console, which *is* repairable seemingly, but there do seem to be a myriad of problems relating to wireless performance, and you do have to wonder whether it was pushed out of the door too early.

I'm with you though Wrath; granted, I think I was sold on the concept by the end of January, but for me it's simply better than having either a home console or a handheld (regardless of whether the two connect to each other). The only part of the package that I'm not convinced by is tabletop mode - the screen is just too small for even single-player games, and I imagine two people using that same space would be head-bumpingly awkward. The kickstand is also woefully inadequate; part of the problem with the screen size is that I have to place the console too far away because of the single kickstand angle.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 am

I think I must be very lucky with the joycons because I've not had a single instance of them disconnecting in ~20 hours of use. I know what you mean about desktop mode, especially the kickstand which is worryingly flimsy. The flexibility in how you can use it means I've not really thought of it as an issue, though, because I can just use it a different way. But yeah, if for whatever reason I found myself in a skatepark / library / terrace / airport floor with a bunch of hip and happening people crowded round a Switch, I think I'd struggle to get the most out of it with the screen size. It really needs to be within arms length.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 pm

They don't disconnect exactly (the console never tells you there's a problem), it's more like they don't register button presses or releases when they don't have line of sight to the console. It's a minor nuisance for me at worst, but it's surprising that a Nintendo product was released in this state.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm

So I had a go on the Splatoon 2 multiplayer beta thing that's running this weekend (it's downloaded through the Store, there's an item in the News section detailing which times it's running). I don't really understand the fuss; it's one of the most basic deathmatch games I've ever played (with a territory control mechanic that honestly feels a bit tedious). I know Nintendo are never going to publish a game about blowing your enemies into meaty chunks, but they could have made it deeper than this, surely.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:17 am

There was a Nintendo Direct last night focused on Arms and Solution 2. They gave release dates for both titles. Arms is coming June 16th and Splatoon 2 July 21st. They also showed off a new PvE mode for Splatoon 2 which looks like a horde type mode.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Finally got mine, haven't taken it out of the box yet mind.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Switch purchased. Tesco had £20 off a £150 spend, don't think it's going to get cheaper than that for a while considering how well it has been selling.

Now I just need something to play on it. :)

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

I've actually bought a few things without mentioning here, so I can give a quick rundown:

-Breath of the Wild: Obvious.

-Fast RMX: Like F-Zero (or Wipeout without weapons), but not as charming. Looks great, plays pretty well too.

-Graceful Explosion Machine: Nice little shooter with a four-weapon mechanic. Good for a short game every now and then, but it's no Ikaruga.

-Disgaea 5: Not currently available in Europe until the end of next month, but the Japanese version has full English text and voicework. Crazy Japanese SRPG which is a decent pick up and play game as campaign maps tend to be short.

-Puyo Puyo Tetris: Today's buy and a bit of a surprise hit; it's a really nice mix of two games; Tetris, and Puyo Puyo which never really made it big in the West. All sorts of modes to get your head around, including a thoroughly bizarre version which mixes both types of puzzle piece on one board. At £35 it may seem expensive, but it's really nicely put together, and if you like the two games, it's infinitely replayable. It's also, I've worked out, the only time I've ever actually paid money for Tetris, so there's some back karma there for me. There's a demo on the store.

-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: The best version of Mario Kart there's ever been. It's mostly the same as the Wii U version with a real battle mode added in and a few new characters, but it's still absolutely superb and one of the best games of the last decade for me.

For the record, while the novelty has worn off this is still probably one of the nicest consoles I've owned. The system software certainly isn't what I'd call feature complete yet, but the UI is snappy and responsive and the USP is absolutely worth it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Wish Puyo Tetris was on Vita ;_;

By the by if anyones after a switch Very are doing £20 off £200 / £30 off £300. So console and a game and you get £30 off. Its late May stock though.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 02, 2017 2:25 pm

I've picked up Human Resource Machine which is perfectly suited for the Switch, and also Lego City Undercover which is great. I'm not sure I'd classify it as a novelty as its ingrained itself into my daily routine to the point where I'm playing something on it most lunches. Looking forward to a Zelda second run soon as well as I Am Setsuna, which I'll get to after Lego City.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 03, 2017 7:47 am

Got my console over the weekend and I was impressed with how sleek and well put together it is. It feels like a real quality product.

The only game I've picked up so far is Kamiko, a neat little Zelda type game. Other than that I've been thinking of picking up Mario Kart 8, but I'm not sure how much of it I will play. I had the original on Wii U and I barely played it after the first few days.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 am

Arms is getting an open beta at the end of this month. Nintendo also showed off some Splatoon 2 themed peripherals and a singleplayer trailer last night.

It's a shame the Splatoon 2 bundle doesn't include the new Splatoon 2 Joy Cons.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 pm

So here's a nice surprise; 8bitdo's range of fairly decent Bluetooth controllers now support the Switch.

http://support.8bitdo.com/

Just grab the 4.0 firmware file, update the controller (instructions come in the download), , open the Switch's controller menu, put the controller into Switch mode (from off, hold Y+Power), and the controller should appear on the switch. Press L+R to confirm.

I've tested with a NES30 Pro I've had lying around for a year or so, and it works as you'd expect.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:04 am

Nintendo's online service is to remain free for the rest of the year. This doesn't mean that the voice app has been delayed, that is still set to come out this summer. Also they are now talking about a compilation of classic games being available each month, but it is unclear if this means more than one as they previously mentioned. They also pegged the price at $20 so expect around £20 over here which isn't too bad of a price.

EDIT: It's been confirmed that subscribers will be getting access to a back catalogue of old games with added online play so we are finally getting a version of the VC subscription service people have been calling for.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 am

There's a Pokemon Direct at 3pm today: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 1690243073

Seemingly Pokemon games have never been announced at E3 before. It's possible that there's a Switch title coming, could be the remakes of the Gen 4 games, could be something crap like a new mobile game.

Edit: and it's Pokken Tournament Deluxe for Switch, and what sound like sequels for Sun and Moon for 3DS. Nothing to see here, move along.

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds