Nintendo Switch!

Console Country!
Subway Diet

Re: Nintendo Switch!

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:31 am

What a shock. A couple of hours into the new Zelda and it is, indeed, good. I really like how it's moved away from the constant hand-holding and force feeding of narrative.

Still don't like the grip controller much, so I've instead taken to the most horribly lazy way of playing. Just kind of vegetating on the couch holding the disconnected joycons to either side, completely motionless, apart from my fingers. It's the saddest sight, but at least it's way more comfortable than that silly little controller doc, and there's no way I'm paying 60+ quid for an actually good pad.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:57 am

Yeah, I prefer the individual joycons rather than the grip too, though I hold them in the air like some kind of energetic weightlifter, rather than letting my arms sag to my sides. You should try it, it's exhilarating.

I am having the much-discussed controller connectivity issues. It's easily manageable, but I get the feeling that they made the controllers this battery-efficient by using a less powerful bluetooth transmitter (or they're operating in a low-power mode). It would explain why these miniscule little things get six times the longevity of a Dualshock 4.

I'm impressed with the console thus far, largely due to the portability of it. A friend and I met up yesterday at his house to play some of the Switch games that I didn't buy (opinions below), but when I handed the controller for a two-player game over to my partner, I could continue playing my full-on amazing Zelda game exactly where I'd left off at home. No load times (the console has an instant-resume ability, same as the Vita or DS), no reduction in playability, a nice sharp screen, and without the cumbersome controls you get with mobile games. Quick opinions on some of the games I tried:

1-2 Switch - It'll come as no surprise, but this really is just a tech demo, and not an especially memorable one. We played 5 or 6 of the 28 minigames, and while they were good for a brief laugh, they simply aren't capable of sustained entertainment. It's relatively nicely presented if you don't mind the slightly condescending American accents, but I suspect the introduction videos take up 90% of the cartridge. £30 is a laughable asking price - I might pay a fiver for it.

Bomberman R - We only played a few rounds of the traditional multiplayer, but it was surprisingly awkward to get running. We eventually realised that to change controller options, you have to exit into the Switch's own UI, go to the controller settings, and then activate each individual joycon as a separate controller before going back into the game. No instructions tell you to do this, and it's probably more to do with the console than the game, but it feels needlessly clunky. Once we got in, well, it was Bomberman. You probably played it back in 1994. At the same framerate. How they managed to get a game this basic looking running at only 20-30fps is beyond me. I didn't see the single-player, but I suspect this should have been another bargain game - it is not worth £40.

Snipperclips - Yeah, it's utterly charming and a lot of fun, exactly as it looked in the trailer. There's a lot of variety to the puzzle design, with some really clever ideas. One puzzle required a little mining woman to pick up some gems. You moved the little mining woman via a control stick at the top of the level (you had to stand on top of your partner to reach it). The gems were hidden in a tiny mine that you had to cut a path through by using the clipping ability. It will ruin friendships and relationships unless you communicate properly, but that's your problem, not the game's. I think it's worth a bash at £18, but there's a free demo available with three or four puzzles for you to try.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Well the controller issues tipped me the other way and took it to CEX. £300. Not t bad considering the Argos down the street had them in stock. If only I wasn't so lazy or scrupulous.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Mentioned picking up "The New Nintendo" in passing to my parents. The seemed rather excited until I told them there wasn't a new Wii Sports. No way I'm buying 1-2-Switch just to show off the tech.

Though I might try the Snipperclips demo as a potential game to show off to them... only to find it the most aggravating damn game I've played in a long time. Maybe my imagination is gone, but the demo was just bullshit physics puzzles that you have to solve with slow awkward controls. That won't go down well at all as something to show the system off with.
That, and tumblr must have soiled my brain as, with all the noises and expressions the little characters were making, it looked like two construction paper shapes fucking.

So. So far... Zelda is pretty good. I'm trying to keep saying that, lest the smart part of my brain reminds me of all the games coming out over the next couple of months that I won't be playing because I blew my money on this. (No Horizon. No Neir. No Mass Effect. No Persona 5. Ok, yes Persona 5. I want that day one regardless.)

eVoL, was that 300 cash in hand or credit? Haha... I'm a little tempted.

Oh. And be careful how you move it in and out of the dock. Apparently the hard plastic can scratch up the screen.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Cash ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:56 pm

80k units sold in the first week, double the Wii U but short on the Wii and significantly shorter than Xbox One and PS4. UK figures only of course.

Still, not bad to say how many people seem to be a bit unsure of it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 pm

It's only been available for 3 days. I know pre-orders will constitute the majority, but let's at least give them a week before we compare.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:00 pm

You know how it is. I'm flaky at the best of times.
A seed of doubt was planted, and it grew and grew, until I convince myself this wasn't the right time to buy a Switch.

It was too costly for a spur of the moment purchase. And as awesome as Zelda is, the scale of it all just freaked me out. I don't know if I can commit to such a thing at the moment. Plus all the Season pass stuff will be out by then, meaning I can come back to a more fully featured game.

So! Going to stick with the original plan of picking it up closer to Mario. Perhaps the feature set of the console will have matured by then. And, hey! Managed to make a profit walking it back to CEX. That's something... at least.

All that, and the only game I'm really in the mood for at the moment is Nioh.
Last edited by Subway Diet on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Raid wrote:It's only been available for 3 days. I know pre-orders will constitute the majority, but let's at least give them a week before we compare.

Just going by an article on Eurogamer, they seem to think it was newsworthy enough. I don't know whether the sales figures for the other consoles quoted was for a similar time scale though, but generally the opening few days of a consoles launch are an interesting indicator to measure.

Funnily enough I've already seen a fair few of them on the shelf at our local CEX today. Seems it's not just Subby having the post-purchase doubts.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:46 pm

So, anybody lick the cartridges yet? ¬_¬
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:09 pm

In this case considering they are very hard to come by I think all the 80,000 shows is that that was all Nintendo were willing to put on sale. They were probably a little wary after the Wii U so didn't have as many units available.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Sly Boots wrote:So, anybody lick the cartridges yet? ¬_¬

One of the first things I did.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Raid wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:So, anybody lick the cartridges yet? ¬_¬

One of the first things I did.

As bad as they say?
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Imagine that a machine could create a flavour by combining various chemicals. It analyses a source by running various algorithms and complicated equations. Now imagine that you ask it to create "grapefruit". Now imagine that for some reason you've accidentally used a ZX Spectrum to run this thing instead of a modern computer.

The cartridge flavour is the result.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Yum!
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds