Nintendo Switch!

Console Country!
eVoL

Re: Nintendo Switch!

Postby eVoL » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 pm

He is such an arse licking, baw sooking wanker.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 am

eVoL wrote:He is such an arse licking, baw sooking wanker.
More or less the average Nintendo fan. ;)
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Interesting article about the supposed power of the Switch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... c-analysis

It sounds like by Christmas next year all the main players will have software which will require different configurations to run on their devices.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I know they like to keep specs on the lower performance side to ensure that the console is always affordable right off the bat, but this is a bit disappointing. They're never going to secure third party support if the console can't produce similar quality performance levels as the competition.

Sure, the main draw for a Nintendo console is always going to be Nintendo's own first party titles. But look at how small the catalogue is for Wii U. No third party support means the console gets left dead in the water and Nintendo give up on it, so you don't even see half their good IPs.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:35 pm

While it's true that performance levels of the WIi U compared to its competition hampered the release of cross-format titles, surely it was sales figures that stripped the console of third-party support. To put the console's failure into perspective, with the end of production coming "soon", the Wii U has sold just over half as many units as the Gamecube (which was not considered successful), and only a fifth of the PS4's sales despite the Wii U having a year's head start. Total sales of Wii U software globally stand at 93 million across 719 titles over 4 years. Compare that to Pokemon Sun and Moon, which sold a tenth of that in two weeks.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:48 pm

It's a vicious circle though; poor specs hampers sales, which in turn pushes third party developers away. Lower specs also puts additional strain on developers making cross platform titles as they need to spend more hours on creating a scaled back version of the game that doesn't compromise as much on quality compared with stronger PS4/XO/PC versions.

The Wii U also suffered considerably from seriously poor marketing too. For a long time after release people still thought it was just some sort of add-on for the Wii.

I'm sure the Switch will do better than the Wii U. But I think Nintendo are putting too much stock in trying to attach a gimmick to their machines as the main selling point. They struck gold with the Wii but with these successive console that doesn't really do the numbers they are only going to become less and less relevant.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:44 pm

With the WiiU it was more that it couldn't handle the required shaders for things like UE4. With this, it can handle those so you could theoretically have most games running, just at 480p/720p. I'd rather have battery life than power.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:04 am

I don't think the power is a major issue because if the user base is there third parties will go to the effort of making games work on the system. Out the gate I think Nintendo is going to have to do it alone and sell the system to the audience and it has to probably be a different audience because I'm not sure who is going to buy a Switch instead of an Xbox One or PS4 in order to play worse versions of third party games. If they can get enough sales early and create buzz around the system then the third party support will come.

If they had just made a more powerful system firstly it would have been more expensive than the Xbox One and PS4 which would have been an almost impossible sell, secondly it would probably not have worked as a handheld as the battery life would probably be poor and finally due to the poor sales of the Wii U and the unique nature of the console I'm not sure it would even have had mass third party support out of the gate.

The only possible way around this would have been to wait another 6-9 months for the new Tegras to come down in price a bit, but with the death of the Wii U they needed to get the Switch out before the new Tegras came online. Even then I still think it would have pushed the price up which more than third party support out the gate will decide the success of the system.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Get a close-up look and learn about the pricing, the release date and that all-important launch line-up. Join us from 4am GMT, if you're brave enough, for the big show live.

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Source: Eurogamer

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Well, that's at an awful hour. I'll wait until tomorrow to get my Switch info dump.
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Understandable when it takes place in Japan. I wont be getting up early for it though, I'll just catch up in the morning.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Likewise. 1am I would have done, 6am possibly, but not right in the middle of the night.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 am

Just watched the conference. There'll be plenty of details out there, but I think the most relevant is the price: £279.99

Not too bad. Not bad at all. :-k

Watch the whole thing here:

I won't attempt a full write up, but feel free to check out whatever game news site you prefer for more details.

Edit:
Sod it. Pre-ordered on Amazon. I can bail out closer to the time if money looks weird, or flip it on eBay for profit it things look scarce. :P
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:57 am

A few quick takes.

-£279.99 without a game is too expensive.
-£50 for a remake of Mario Kart 8, are you having a laugh?
-Online service might not be live in Europe until the autumn! Giving away one free NES or SNES game which you can only play for a month doesn't sound very enticing, but I'll wait and see what the pricing is on the service before making a decision.
-2.5hrs to 6.5hrs is a very wide window for the battery life which makes me think that it will be more on the low side.
-Most of the third party line-up is stuff that is already out on other consoles, very reminiscent of the Wii U.

All in all my excitement has been rather dented and I doubt I will be pre-ordering.

Looks like I'm going to be playing Zelda on my Wii U.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 am

2.5 - 6 hours of battery likely means 6 hours if you're playing NES and SNES games, but anything like Zelda and the thing will tank.

Aside from a couple of game announcements this seems really underwhelming. They didn't really show anything that's coming at launch, the online service seems like a joke no matter how much it costs and at £279 it's too expensive.

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds