Nintendo Switch!

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK

Re: Nintendo Switch!

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 am

Seems the Americans like the Switch more than us Europeans as the sales figures for the Switch for Friday to Saturday are higher than they were for the Wii over the same time period. So that makes it the most successful launch of any Nintendo console in the US.

Breath of the Wild is the most successful launch title ever beating Mario 64. Wii Sports isn't counted as it was a pack in.

EDIT: In Japan it outsold the Wii U and just outsold the PS4, but was behind the Wii. However it did have one extra day on sale as the other consoles launched on a Saturday.

From these figures it looks like Nintendo prioritised America and gave them far and away the most stock.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:29 pm

I've caved and got one on pre-order for when Amazon get more stock (Monday supposedly), along with Zelda. Somehow this will be the first Zelda game I've ever played!
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Nice, you are in for a treat.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Especially since you can go play the Capcom Zeldas too ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:12 pm

So given that the Switch has no region-locking, I bought a digital copy of Disgaea 5 from Amazon Japan. It took a few minutes to get the code registered as you're not just given an eShop code, the e-mail from Amazon takes you through to your Nintendo account... which suddenly changes your language setting to Japanese. I stumbled around clicking translated links, only to notice about ten minutes afterward that the Switch was halfway through downloading the game.

The game itself is entirely in English, although you can still select the Japanese voice track while using the English text if you prefer. It looks gorgeous on the Switch's display too.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 am

I caved regarding the kitten so I'll be picking up a Switch at some point. Might wait until later in the year though now, at least until a few more games are out.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 pm

All this Zelda hype is making it very hard to hold out for the next 9 months ¬_¬
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I don't think you'd like the transition to open world, Phil. It doesn't have a map with 1000 identical markers on telling you exactly where to go and what to do. -_-

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Those markers aren't identical ¬_¬
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Lancaster Argos got some more Switch stock in - managed to grab the last neon one! \:D/

This week just got better.

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:13 pm

So sad that there are very few rooftop plazas in Lancaster.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm

It gives me a reason to create our first skatepark though.

Anyone had wifi problems with the Switch? I get download speeds of about 4.5MBps with most things but with Switch it's downloading Zelda at around 700kbps. 10ft from the router, no obstructions.

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am

So this is already hacked via the browser. Not that you can run homebrew/pirate software yet but they're in there already with basically a "hello world". Well that's bad news for Ninty!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am

Wrathbone wrote:Anyone had wifi problems with the Switch? I get download speeds of about 4.5MBps with most things but with Switch it's downloading Zelda at around 700kbps. 10ft from the router, no obstructions.

I can't say I've had issues; games have downloaded at pretty decent speeds (maybe 3mb/s on a connection that'll do 4.5mb/s max). My friend did have wifi strength issues, but his router is at the top of his house and he was using it two floors down.

And from what I've read browser exploits tend to be pretty common, and it allows people to run their own code, but at the moment they don't have a way of getting that code onto the device to run it. I'm hardly an expert, but surely a browser exploit would be fairly easy to patch out?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

I've not tried the wifi since downloading Zelda (4 hours for 13gb!), but I did find that balancing the Switch on top of the router doubled download speeds. Also the wifi on it doesn't work at all unless I have the joycons attached, which suggests that the bandwidth the joycons use is the same as the 2.4ghz wifi band and is perhaps interfering. Sadly my shitty Sky router doesn't have 5ghz, but to be honest I have no intentions of using the Switch online for anything other than patches and system updates. The only reason I downloaded Zelda is because the physical copy wasn't available anywhere.

Putting the wifi aside, after a full weekend using the Switch I am highly impressed with it. Zelda is superb, but simply using the Switch in all its modes is a real treat and the core concept of it being a console that you can pick up and keep using wherever you go is 100% proven for me. I've been playing it over lunch at work and it's just as good as playing it on the sofa at home - that in itself is already worth the asking price.

I'm finding the joycons are great to use when attached to the sides and also with the grip, but are trickier to use loose in each hand because of the need to hold on to them while simultaneously moving my thumbs. Kind of hard to explain, but my hands are big enough that gripping the joycons without my thumbs means it's hard to accurately position my thumbs. Doesn't really matter though, because using the joycons attached to something is absolutely fine.

I love this console, to the point where I'm willing to overlook the slightly crazy pricing for now (not so much for the console, which to be honest I think is fair at £280, but for the games and accessories which vary between quite expensive and taking the piss). I'm trying to separate my thoughts about the console from my thoughts about Zelda, as that has undoubtedly made a big difference to my initial opinions. Aside from the wifi, I can't really fault it so far. If anyone's on the fence and can spare the money, I'd have no hesitation in recommending you take the plunge.

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds