Nintendo Switch!

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK

Re: Nintendo Switch!

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Raid wrote:I dunno; I mean £18 isn't a large amount of money over the course of a year, but when Sony are charging £40, giving you a library of free PS4 games, and not requiring you to use a ridiculous solution for voice chat, it does still feel a bit much to me given Nintendo doesn't exactly have great form when it comes to online games and services.

Neither does Sony when it comes to the actual infrastructure. Also it's officially £50 a year for PS Plus now. I'd argue that the games you get nowadays through Plus are pretty naff, it's certainly not as tempting an offering as it used to be.

For Nintendo it might come down to what they add to the game offering. If they start putting N64 or Gamecube games on there then I think it becomes a much more attractive proposition.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed May 09, 2018 1:17 am

I think you’re crazy if you think the 24 PS4 games alone aren’t worth £50 (realistically under £40 if you shop around). On either platform, if I didn’t have a crazy backlog I’d probably subscribe to Gold to even though I don’t see me buying a One for a long time.

I also think you’re crazy if you think we’ll ever get GameCube games at this level of subscription ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 am

Considering the quality of the games on offer they are not worth my £50. I really only sub for the online as the PS4 is the only place I play online on a console, I'd never do it just for the games. I've played two of the games offered through the service in the last three years I've been subscribed so that kind of tells you how little I value the games on offer. Just because they give you something doesn't mean it's worthwhile if what they are giving you is a bunch of stuff I never want to play. I don't have enough time to play the games I want, never mind ones I don't have much interest in.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon May 14, 2018 1:40 pm

So 8bitdo have a usb dongle that lets you connect PS4 and X1 controllers via Bluetooth and it works perfect! Picked it up for a tenner on eBay which sure beats 60 for the pro controller. Not great for handheld mode right enough because you’d need to have a usbc-> usb dongle for the dongle.

Made me sadly realise I would pay ninty for pro joycons with a proper dpad and good sticks. :(

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Rumours that Retro are working on a Star Fox racing game which will be a mixture of Mario Kart and F-Zero with a singleplayer component much like the one in Diddy Kong.

I'd be up for a Star Fox racing game if it was giving us some F-Zero. Also Diddy Kong racing was pretty good.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm

I dont have a Switch but I see Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is on sale...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 15497.html

£8.99

Decent price. Hopefully we'll see some PC discounts in-line with that over the coming days.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Eurogamer have saw fit to publish some Pokemon Switch rumours. Suggestions of it being set in the original region of Kanto will probably be favourable, but possibly introducing elements from Pokemon Go certainly isn't filling me with confidence (to say I found that game unimpressive would be an understatement).

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 am

So Resident Evil 7 is coming to switch...... in streaming format only. So PSNowtendo might be a thing using the Shield streaming stuff I guess? Better to have options to play things that you wouldnt otherwise but still a strange one for a handheld that most people will only have wirelessly connected even when at home.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -the-cloud

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am

Yeah it's an odd one, but apparently Japanese companies have done something similar before. Dragon Quest X on 3DS also had a cloud version.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 am

So there was a surprise unveiling of the pair of new Pokemon games for the Switch this morning. They're *not* the next entries in the main game series (which are still coming to the Switch, but won't be out until late next year apparently), but they are RPGs. They look to be a remake of the original Pokemon games, or specifically Pokemon Yellow. The male trainer character certainly looks like Red, Professor Oak is in there, and at some point you appear to encounter Mewtwo in a cave. There's integration with Pokemon Go, and while trainer battles play out as we're used to (by the look of things), wild Pokemon are caught with Go-style mechanics of accurate Pokeball throwing rather than weakening the target with your own Pokemon first.

Not sure what to think of that really. Hopefully we'll find out more about it at E3.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 am

There is also Pokemon Quest which is a free to play game and is out now. I really dig the art style, but it's a bit hard to parse what is going on. It's also giving me Viva Pinata vibes.

I think it makes sense to not rush out the first mainline Pokemon game on a 'home' console, so I'm not too bothered about it not being out until 2019.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 30, 2018 11:05 am

New Sonic Racing game for Switch has been leaked by Wallmart.

Cue the crazy talk about how Sonic Racing is the best kart game ever made.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed May 30, 2018 11:09 am

The last one was better than MK8 for sure. I’m interested.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 am

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ort-of-fun

First impressions of Pokemon Quest. Sounds very much like a phone game on a Switch.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed May 30, 2018 5:08 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:New Sonic Racing game for Switch has been leaked by Wallmart.

Cue the crazy talk about how Sonic Racing is the best kart game ever made.

+1 to the crazy talk pile from me. :)

Coming to everything else as well btw. PC, PS4 and XBone.

Previous

Return to Consoles & Handhelds