Nintendo NX- Release confirmed March 2017

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK

Nintendo NX- Release confirmed March 2017

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:42 am

In an investor call today Nintendo have announced the official release date of the NX. It is set to miss the Christmas period and is slated for release in March 2017.

Alongside this they have confirmed that the next Zelda game will be coming to the Wii U and the NX simultaneously so that has also been delayed till March. Finally they are not planning to show the NX at E3 this year and instead will focus on Zelda.

So a few things. Firstly I'm disappointed that the NX is still nearly a year away. Secondly not showing the console at E3 seems very, very strange especially as they will have pretty much nothing else to show. Yes they can say they will be focusing on Zelda, but that's not going to get people that excited when it isn't out this year. I also feel that with this additional delay they should have just pushed Zelda to the NX and not bothered about putting it on the Wii U. I can't help but feel that it will end up being a gimped version as they try to straddle two console generations.

Finally what on earth are Nintendo releasing for the rest of the year? As far as I can remember there is only one 'big' title announced so far, a new Paper Mario. I guess there were rumours about a Pikman 4, but other than that there is pretty much nothing. This is the problem when you are pretty much the only one making games for your system, a generation transition leads to around a year when you have nothing coming out for your console.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: Nintendo NX- Release confirmed March 2017

Postby Wolfy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 am

I think they've really dropped the ball there by not taking it to E3 and releasing for Chrimbo. Madness.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:44 am

I'm not sure about dropping the ball, more like perhaps missed an opportunity. I think the likely reason they are doing this is because they want Zelda to be a launch title for the NX which is perhaps taking a bit more work than they hoped.

It's interesting to note that most of Nintendo's handhelds have released between March and June in Europe so considering this is expected to be a handheld/home console device in a way it lines up with previous handheld release dates.

In the end it might prove sensible to get out of the Christmas rush what with the rumoured PS4 NEO and PSVR launching this winter and whatever Microsoft are doing. Maybe they felt it would look bad to have their system directly up against more powerful consoles. The system will still sell out anyway so I'm not sure how much they lose by not launching in the winter.
Last edited by DjchunKfunK on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:44 am

Nintendo - Doing weird shit with consoles since the Wii.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 am

I imagine we'll get our first look at the hardware later in the year, but they need to prove they have good software support for it. A Zelda game may be enough for some, but I'm done with buying consoles just for Nintendo's usual first-party exclusives. The last three Nintendo home consoles have had superior competition for the multi-platform stuff, and I don't think I've bought more than ten games for any of them.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Nintendo still make some of the best games around I think, Splatoon proved that, but if you don't like what they are making then I don't think the situation with third party support is going to get any better. At the end of the day Nintendo are not going to gain enough from third parties to bother putting in the major effort needed to get them back on board. They would be better served by going after the indie market than triple a third parties.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:58 pm

It's not that I don't like what they put out, it's that their first-party stuff simply isn't enough to justify a console purchase anymore, at least not until late into the console's life cycle. I doubt I'm the only one doing that, and that's a bit of an issue for Nintendo, as if nobody buys the new console, nobody will want to develop for it, and the problem only gets worse.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Seriously who the hell is going to go out and buy this? All you ever hear from Wii U owners is "I bought a Wii U but I've not touched it in months and months due to a complete lack of support for it from Nintendo".

I can see this struggling even more than the Wii U did in all honesty.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:40 pm

The WiiU was great with some fantastic games. Don't really regret buying it so I'm open to what they have to say. Especially if it's a hybrid system.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:49 pm

I grant you that the software has been lacking the last year or so, but there has been plenty to play over the life of the console. As for who will buy it there are still a lot of Nintendo fans out there who will purchase the system regardless. You also need to think about how this might be replacing their handheld system so they would have that market to tap into as well. I don't see it doing massive numbers, but I think it has the possibility to do well, especially if they can pull of the hybrid stuff

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:35 pm

It being a hybrid based system that ships with a free copy of Splatoon 2. Then it might just sell. >_>

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:35 pm

I'm fascinated by this rumour that it'll be replacing the 3DS too, but has anyone come up with an idea of how that's going to work yet? Is it just going to be an ultra-powerful handheld with a docking station and (presumably) pitiful battery life? Is the base unit going to somehow enhance the visuals of something comparable to a more up to date Vita? Are games going to require two separate versions or modes so that they can have comparable visuals to a PS4 or XBOne at home, but can run on a passively cooled handheld? Will it have software that only runs on the home unit, but mobile games can be displayed in a superior resolution while docked? Hell, are they going to try and make the handheld stream games from the base station using an advancement on the Wii U's gamepad streaming tech?

There are significant problems with each of these ideas, but I can understand why Nintendo might want to consolidate their home and mobile consoles into one system, given that they've been soundly beaten in the last three home console generations by their competition but still rule the handheld world.

Rich

Postby Rich » Thu May 12, 2016 4:44 pm

Dead in the water unless EA / Activision confirm that they will support it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Rich wrote:Dead in the water unless EA / Activision confirm that they will support it.

Is this a serious comment or just a troll?

Return to Consoles & Handhelds