IOS apps of wonderment

Console Country!
eVoL

IOS apps of wonderment

Postby eVoL » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm sure we had an ios topic before but damned if I can find it.

So having just got a hand me down ipad 2 from my brother I'm trawling the app store more and that is such a phenomenal place full of amazing shit buried under piles of poop. Ive had my jaw drop several times playing around with stuff. Mainly the music stuff, christ, I've payed hundreds of pounds for things that I can almost fully emulate in a sub £10 (usually sub £5) app.

Musicy stuffs

Audiobus
Blew my mind when I first used it on iphone because its such a gamechanger. Basically it lets multiple apps talk to each other. A synth app can output directly into a daw recording app for example. Or a daw can output to an effects processor app and loop back to the daw. Its just amazing. So much so that Apple has basically ripped it off and built in "inter-app audio" (iaa) into IOS7 for free though not as many support iaa as audiobus but more and more support it as time goes on.

Nanostudio
Another baby Reason though more focused on synths. Also hella impressive.

Tabletop
An incredible modular workstation that could tread or Reasons toes. Even the free app gives you access to an impressive amount of modules. It doesnt support iaa as an output though, which is a little unfortunate though it does support it as an input (midi and audio). I can see why but I would still like to output to a daw.

Sunvox
A synth that lets you customise the sound by way of a cuircuit system. You can route the sound through different filters and effects, split the sound and send it through two completely different paths with so many options. Its so damn intuitive and fun.

Cubasis/GarageBand/Multitrack
...DAW in your pocket. Not a shitty one either.... you could concievably do an entire professional sounding album on a phone/tablet. The 3 grand I dropped on a music PC 8 years ago can now be done on a 400quid handheld :lol:

....and thats just a few. I'm going to spend so much money on this stuff! It was great on iphone but that extra ipad screen real estate takes it to the next level of ohshitwow.

Gameses

FTL
Man, how good does this feel with touch? I was worried it would be too finicky but theyve done an amazing job.

Hearthstone
Yep

Frozen Synapse
Good but a bit footery. The UI isnt terribly well designed or intuitive but once you get past that its real good.

Greed Corp HD
I just love this game and its fab on every format.... and its only 69p!

Distant Star
A full little 4X game. Deep enough for a mobile game without being too deep. I hear Starbase Orion is Master Of Orion in all but name though.....

Other stuffs

Google Play Music
Its still awesome. Upload 2000 tracks and get them anywhere. Free.

Flipboard
The big screen makes this quite enjoyable. When you have time to kill its a nice way to hit random news on interesting topics. Looks damn pretty too.

I never thought I would like using an ipad so much. Ive had two android tabs before this and in comparison, droid is pish. I'm using it more to browse the web and just leaving the laptop off more and more. I'm actually tempted to buy an Air now :lol:

Tell me about your awesome apps! Its so hard to find stuff in that app store :(
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

elgaucho

Re: IOS apps of wonderment

Postby elgaucho » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Well - speaking off Frozen Synapse - it's 69p on the IOS app store at the moment!

http://appshopper.com/games/frozen-synapse

In terms of apps I like - games etc:

Ascension and Dead Man's Draw are both very easy and fun card games - perfect for holidays
I still rate Neroshima Hex which I think you actually recommended ages ago
10000000 is surprisingly good fun for what it is
Warhammer Quest - look out for it going cheap! (which includes IAP dungeons / chars / weapons if that's your thing)
Simple, actiony fun... Ninja Wrath and Hero Siege
Rayman Run is amazing

Productivity wise I'm a big fan of QuickPlan Pro - great little project management app - the dev also has a few other apps which seem decent, but QPP is definitely the best!

There's a bunch of other board games I have too, but it really depends on how much you are /aren't into that kind of thing (e.g. Catan, Carcassonne, Fluxx, Forbidden Isle & Waterdeep.

Many of those go on offer regularly so worth looking out for a cheap pickup! Still waiting for X-Com or FTL to go cheap though!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Papers, Please coming to iPad tomorrow (12th)...

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/54286 ... 80/photo/1

Cant find a price though. Well I say cant find I never looked. :)

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Lumines is coming to iOS after Mizuguchi's new studio acquires the rights from Q Entertainment...

http://gematsu.com/2015/01/mobcast-enha ... meteos-ips

:D

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 am

Frozen Synapse currently free on iOS!

Get it while you can!

http://appshopper.com/games/frozen-synapse-2

Edit:
Link for the ipad one:

http://appshopper.com/games/frozen-synapse
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 am

Grim Fandango Remastered out on iOS now...

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id978524071

Return to Consoles & Handhelds