Gears of War 4 [XBone]

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK

Re: Gears of War 4 [XBone]

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:17 am

This seems to be getting pretty good reviews which has surprised me. After Judgement it felt like everyone was fed up with Gear and so I was expected the apathy to carry over to this game, but that doesn't appear to have happened.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... r-4-review
Recommended

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/6/131621 ... windows-10
9/10
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:37 am

Considering Judgement was a half-assed side thing from three years ago. I think people were ready for a new mainline game. :)

Got my copy installed and ready to go. Just need to start playing. :D
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:48 pm

I feel like Judgement was just the new devs dipping their toes into the franchise to get a feel for how to make the next proper installment. From what I've seen of this so far it looks like it incorporates a lot more quirky humour, almost like Bulletstorm. But it also retains the typical Gears feel and has a fair few nice looking set pieces.

In terms of new developers taking over the mantle for a franchise on the Xbox One generation, it seems like Coalition did a much better job than 343 did with Halo 5.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Halo 5 was 343's second main-series Halo title, they also did Halo 4 (which I believe was fairly well received).

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Yeah that's why I mentioned it being their first attempt on the current generation, both new developers had releases on the 360 though as you say, 343 made a full entry to the Halo series rather than a spin off like Coalition did with Judgement. I actually quite enjoyed Halo 4 for what it's worth, though the direction they decided to take the story wasn't particularly great. They really dropped the ball with Halo 5 though, whereas Coalition have produced a fairly solid title.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Oh, err, missed that bit. Carry on.

Was Halo 5 bad? With no plans to buy a new XBox, I didn't really pay much attention to it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Halo 5 seemed to be fairly well received, nothing ground breaking, but decent, which baring Halo 3, is what that series was under Bungie in my opinion.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:58 pm

I thought Halo 5 was pretty maligned. A story that goes nowhere, bad bosses etc... It sounded kind of bad.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:44 am

Yeah it seemed pretty derivative, which is a shame. Maybe it's just the middle game curse?

Subway, how's Gears? :P
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Not started it yet. Been busy.
You guys reminded me that I bought Halo 5. Another Game I picked up for inflated digital prices only to not play. :P

Will report back once I've given it a go.
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:37 pm

A friend brought round a copy of this last night so we could go through it in coop on my son's console and I don't think I can truly express the utter disappointment we both felt as we played through the first few chapters together.

For the first few hours the game isn't a Gears game, far from it. In fact it feels like replaying sections from the rather excellent Binary Domain but without any of it being actually y'know - fun. Brightly coloured areas, characters that aren't what you expect, stupid lift puzzles and being told to drag a large box through levels are what greet you for the first few hours. It's all about as uninspired and tedious as they come. Graphically the game only ever looks nice when the game is dark and wet otherwise it's garishly colorful and unimpressive looking and way too often makes Unreal Engine 4 somehow look dated.

Before we knew it we'd reached the end of Chapter III and the game only has five chapters so the game is short. Very short.

I genuinely don't know what the fuck the game these reviewers were playing because it most certainly wasn't anything remotely like the game we we had to endure last night together ie a so called return to form and one of the best outings in the entire series. Gears of War 4 is nothing but a rather generic third person action cover shooter that has lost its original identity that will have you repeating "what the fuck were they thinking???" far more often than you will be saying "this is bloody awesome!".

I was seriously contemplating picking up the game on PC at some point but I feel like I dodged a bullet now. Don't believe the hype. Oh and don't even get me started on the bike section, jesus christ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:55 am

So we went for a second attempt at playing the new Horde mode convinced that we had all just been too harsh on the game the first time out.

During this session my mate who had bought the game suddenly jumped up and went into an angry rant about how he just couldn't take playing it anymore, honestly I've never seen him just insta-blow like that before so it must have really been doing his head in something awful. If you can't even make Horde mode engaging then you have seriously let down your Gears fans.

Anyway he's now given us permission to trade in the game he paid £40 for and wants nothing more to do with it. :o

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Cripes. That's quite the opinion there.
I've finally gotten around to playing this and have been enjoying it greatly. Chunky Gears of War combat, tactical waist-high walls, gorgeous graphics, a fun new cast and a story that realises just how unintentionally entertaining the first games were and successfully plays off that vibe.

Having skipped out on the spin-off game and the remaster, I was more than ready to play a Gears game again, it seems. :-k
Last edited by Subway Diet on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Are the Lambant in this? Im pondering getting this but I fucking haaaaaaate the Lambant. Ruined the entire 3rd game.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:34 pm

I'm trying to remember what was so crap about the Lambent. Three is a hazy memory now.
But no, they're not in this.
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds