The Unofficial Prey's World Games of the Generation Thread

Console Country!
Subway Diet

The Unofficial Prey's World Games of the Generation Thread

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 am

Farewell 7th gen!

Xbox 360 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo Wii - Nintendo DS/DSi - PlayStation Portable

What games, studios or creators have stood out for you this generation?
Make a list, ordered or not, or just share your memories of the highs and lows.

Let's look back at the last 9 years of console gaming and celebrate before it's all old hat in a few weeks time!

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Subway Diet on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

eVoL

Re: Games of the Generation

Postby eVoL » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

Haha, I was just about to post this very topic :lol:

Street Fighter 4
Duh. I doubt its a surprise that this is my favorite game of the gen. I've put hundreds of hours in across the different versions and platforms. The balance of Arcade Edition is so close to perfect its incredible. Love this game so so much. I'm still not great at it either, but I love it so.

Last Of Us
Just wow. It had some problems with gamey moments but over all its near perfect.

Mass Effect 2
The best of the trilogy. Yes the first had a far better final act and bad guy, but my god the experience of ME2 is everything I wanted from a Star Trek game. The music, the voice work and most of the writing are pitch perfect. Its a wonderful game that I never wanted to end.

Metal Gear 4
"Obtuse" doesnt come close to describing it but neither does "wonderful". So stupid, so good.

Battlefield 3
I know I'll get some angry glanses from BF2/BC sympathisers but BF3 is the first time it truely clicked for me. BF2 and earlier games hit boxes always felt off and never as tight and BC1/2 has a stiff feel to it with rather dull maps and I hated how powerful the sniper was, it just felt cheap to use. Granted I hate vehicle perks etc.. but over all I put so much time into it. Kills were satisfying (especially compensating bullet drop), the battles looked epic and the feel and motion of it just brought it together.

Heavy Rain
David Cage haters can gtfo. He's not perfect but that crap he exists since he basically has a genre to himself that wouldnt exist without him. Heavy Rain was a wonderful game and even though I'm not a QTE fan I'm fine with them here. It has lots of problems but better to be exceptional and flawed than flawless yet standard.

Uncharted 1
Its the best. Shut up!

Gears Of War 2
Better multiplayer than 1, few lambant like in 3. I havent played Judgement mind you, but I've had a great deal of fun from 2.

Folklore
There was a lot of problems with it.... and I mean a LOT! It had a wonderful world though, wonderful artstyle and such a fantastic whimsy. Its not a great game but I love it a whole lot.

Bulletwitch
I was genuinely awed by the meteor spell. Game was so much fun! Oh make no mistake, it was fucking awwwwwful.... but it was also fucking brilliant!

Rock Band 3
You may hate them now, but theres no denying the gorrang fun these games were! 4 player RB is a thing to behold.

Honourable mentions I cant be arsed writing more for and you cant be arsed reading anyway...
All of the CoDs except MW3
Deadspace 1
The Darkness
The Unfinished Swan
Guacamelee
Boomblox
Everybodys Golf
Dance Central
Geometry Wars 2
Gripshift
Greed Corp
Shadow Complex
N+
Portal (ONE, not 2.... god not 2)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 am

Was going to do a thread for this alongside this year's PW awards but nevermind.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

Eurogamer have ran a few articles to this effect (they published the readers' top 50 this morning in fact), and most seem to agree that Super Mario Galaxy is the standout game of this generation of consoles. I don't, personally; it's a brilliant game, no doubt, but there simply wasn't enough core platforming in it, just an endless succession of gimmicks. I never liked the planetoid levels which made up so much of the game. Still, it was the only Wii game I think I ever finished (not every star, but at least the main story).

It's the two major co-op shooters from the early 360 years that I remember most fondly I think. Halo 3 was the culmination to, at that point, my favourite game series, and it met all of my expectations. It corrected a lot of the weapon imbalance that blighted its predecessor, had an excellent campaign (although still insisting on the traditional Flood level that everyone hated), and various editors that allowed for multiplayer shenanigans (anyone remember the low gravity, high speed hammer & rocket launcher gametype we played on here?).
Gears of War was very big and very, very stupid, but ever so much fun. The Lancer, with its chainsaw bayonet, is probably going to be one of those shooter weapons that everyone will remember years down the line; yes, it apparently fired ammunition, but nothing beat running up behind someone in multiplayer and slicing them in half in as gory a fashion as possible.

Of course, the best games of this era were ones I played on the PC, although they did have console versions, so still relevant here. Portal, Portal 2, Borderlands 2, Bastion, Terraria.

Judge Rabbi

Postby Judge Rabbi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Nine years?! Gosh, there are too many good games to list!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Dark Souls is no.2. Wow. High praise. I see Demon Souls up there too.

Hard to say what my game of the generation is. I'd have to have a big list of the big games tbh. Forgot so many games. The one's on my mind though:

Dark Souls, Metro : Last Light, Portal & 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Shogun 2.

So many PC games I'd throw in the mix as well.

Emaharg

Postby Emaharg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I remember going to town with Sigur after college and buying the xbox 360. I remember buying it for Dead Rising, which was a great game, I also chose to get Gears of War with it because it had only come out the week before or so. I was very very impressed with Gears of War, so that has to be up there for me. Here's a list of other games that really impressed me this last generation.

Mass Effect (series) - 360
Borderlands
MAG - PS3 (loved this game, personally I enjoyed this more than any CoD game)
Disaster: Day of Crisis - Wii
Endless Ocean - Wii
CoD World at War (My favourite CoD of all, me and Sigur kicked ass on multiplayer)
N+
Dead Space
Uncharted
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Halo Reach (This was a fantastic game, didn't change much in way of Halo gameplay, but I just loved the story)

There are probably plenty more that I cant recall right now, but that list is still pretty damn good.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 am

I have to rectify a motherfucking error that I motherfucking made in this motherfucking topic. How could I forget House Of The Dead Overkill? Probably the funniest game of the gen and one of the best soundtracks too. So so good.

Also.... you know whats crazy? Everyone thinks of the 360 as being the winner of this gen but its actually in last place by quite a bit.

Nintendo DS (DS) 154.80
Wii (Wii) 100.32
PlayStation 3 (PS3) 80.44
PlayStation Portable (PSP) 79.99
Xbox 360 (X360) 78.85

Even the "failure" that is PSP kicked its arse and theres also no way to account for all the dead 360s from RROD that died out of warranty or with people that had no idea what was going on and binned it. Must be at the very least a good few million off of that. Its only when you look at North America by its self that 360 kicks arse (less than a million behind Wii and almost fifteen million ahead of PS3!). Conversly, in the UK PS3 leads by 7million which by country size is comparable if not in excess of the USA disparity. 360 did have the better attach rate of 10.5 to the PS3s 9.3 though. Theres never been a generation so hard fought which makes this upcoming one all the more interesting.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:06 am

Microsoft made such a huge deal at E3 about how the 360 was the best selling console of the generation. :lol: The PR spin almost made my dizzy, and it shows exactly who they're considering as their primary audience for the X1.

Dark Souls wins game of the generation hands down for me. In fact I'd say it's a pretty big contender for best game of all time. Other notable mentions go to Blaz Blue Contiuum Shift, Gears of War 1 for all the hilarious MP japes with PW chaps back in the day and Lost Odyssey for being one of the only decent JRPGs on 360. There really are so many good ones though that'd it take a long time to list them all.

DjchunKfunK

Re: The Unofficial Prey's World Games of the Generation Thre

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Dark Souls would probably have to be my favourite game of this generation. Other games that deserve a mention include:

Mario Galaxy- up there alongside Mario 64 as one of the best games Nintendo have ever made.

Fable 2- Lionhead managed to take what they had in the first game and really flesh it out to create one of the best RPGs of the generation, shame the third game wasn't much cop
Uncharted 2- For pure spectacle and fun this game was great.

Assassins Creed 2:Brotherhood- This game is where Ubisoft really managed to perfect the formula, and how about that ending!

TeamFortress 2- The most fun I have ever had in an online FPS.

Bastion- Really typifies what is great about the smaller games that have come to the fore in this generation.

Siants Row III- So...much...fun and lunacy. Oh and a little recognition of Saints Row 4, which may turn out to be even better.

Bioshock- An amazingly crafted game, that may not have had the best combat around, but drew me in and made me care. Infinite is a more rounded game, but Bioshock did it all first.

On a more PC bent

Torchlight 2- Action RPGing at it's finest.

The Witcher 2- Best RPG of the generation bar none.

Minecraft- Started the whole fad of releasing games before they are finished, but it was also a great game and one that I have sunk more hours into than probably anything else, except...

Dota 2- Just a brilliant game, but also an infuriating one.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 pm

While I fret over making a definitive list, here's some archived "Top 10's" for the last few years.
These are very much gut reactions and things might have changed since then.

Spoiler: show
1. Journey

2. Gravity Rush

3. Hotline Miami

4. Spec Ops: The Line

5. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

6. Far Cry 3

7. Hitman: Absolution

8. PlanetSide 2

9. Lollipop Chainsaw

10. ModNation Racers: Road Trip

1. Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Remember how it was when you were but a little kid and playing a great, fancy JRPG? How you'd get swept up in the grand adventure and feel like you were getting to know the characters like friends? Then, do you remember how you got older and more jaded? The magic of those games seemed to wear off. All you could see were the tired old mechanics and overused clichés. For me, Solatorobo effortlessly re-kindled my love of the JRPG with it's fun characters, snappy script, arcade-style combat and a surprisingly well realised setting. This wasn't simply a game that I was playing. I felt like a kid again. Any complaints that could be held against it are rendered moot by the sheer joy I felt playing the game. Going back to "serious" titles afterwards, I couldn't help but think they'd work better with cartoon dogs & cats playing the roles. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this game made me a furry. :(

2. Saints Row: The Third
There is little I can say about this that has not already been brought up. Please, just go to Eurogamer and read Kieron Gillen's write up of the game. He pretty much hits it on the head. Also, You're the best! Around! Nothin's ever gonna keep you down!

3. Portal 2
If I was to rate games based on writing alone, Portal 2 would be in the top spot. The puzzles were super fun and inventive, but outside of them, the game felt little more than just walking silently through a theme park as excellent actors tell you a wonderful story. Strangely, I came away feeling like I'd experienced two awesome things that didn't really gel into a perfect whole.

4. From Dust
Such a wonderfully tactile game that takes the word sandbox to a whole new meaning. The huge battles against nature left me breathless at times.

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
This is the kind of game we need more of. In this age of running down a tight, scripted path, casually shooting guys who pop-op like targets on a shooting range, it's all the more important to savoir something like Deus Ex. Massive, well realised Cyberpunk world and plenty of options in how you approach it. Had it been just a little more opened ended and with a few less wonky boss fights, it'd have been much higher on the list.

6. Bulletstorm
What's not to like about space pirates whoopin'n'hollerin' across a desolate resort planet, blasting raiders and mutants alike? The punchy, creatively sweary script had some gold moments and the action itself is loads of fun.

7. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
It's strange that a game based on two things I'm not overly keen on (Christian mythology and dainty Japanese character action games) could come together so well. Doesn't hurt that it looks So! Good! The setting ended up being fascinating and the combat simple, yet robust.

8. Dead Space 2
Some times, I like my games dark and oh so very nasty. This was one long, claustrophobic, soul sucking nightmare. And that's awesome!

9. Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Sunk so many damn hours into this game. More than any other this year, actually. I enjoy it mainly for the reasons everyone else hates it. It's not a hardcore Mil-Sim, nor it is a CoD roller coaster. It inhabits that tiny space in between where the original Ghost Recon games lived. Small scale squad tactics with brutal difficulty. :) Would be higher on the list if the single player had a bit more freedom and a bit less sitting in the back of Hummers, shooting the shit. A free-roam and map editor would have been so good, but there is no chance of that now.

10. Dead Island
The story was a bit pants, the acting kind of terrible, co-op killed any sort of atmosphere and the game was padded with lame fetch quests. Still, the sensation of swinging a bat into a hoard of zombies and hearing that wet snap of bones breaking is a thing of beauty. Far better than the sum of it's parts.

1. Vanquish
Super tight. Super absurd. Super fun! The antidote to years of plodding cover based shooting. DMC meets Gears of War... IN SPAAAAACE! one of the big things I loved was the simplicity of it. It wasn't so much like, say, Bayonetta, where part of the difficulty comes from learning combos, finding secrets and doing challenges. This felt like they gave you all the tools from the start. tools that, being a third person shooter kind of guy, I was familiar with. Playing the game on the hardest setting right out of the game pretty much forced me to get my arse in gear. Once I got the basics down, being stylish as hell came naturally. Then factor in the sweaty palm, white knuckle, arse clenching action. The so characters that are so bad-ass that they become parody's to the point where they're bad-ass again. And then give it all a sharp, clean look, and you've got my GOTY.

2. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Gritty, grimy, crude and miserable as all fuck. Love the setting. Love the shitty video uploaded to youtube aesthetic. Wish they could have gone even more far out with it, but it still scratched my itch for terrible people doing terrible things. The sound design deserves a shout out. Io always brings their A-game when it comes to making everything sound terrible and awesome. Terribly awesome!

3. Bayonetta
Had a huge amount of fun with this yet, for all it's insanity, I can't help but feel I'm missing something. It's damn near causing me anxiety trying to figure out just what this game's deal is. Still, all my confusion aside, the action is super tight and fast and I like me some SEGA/Capcom in-jokes.

4. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
A call back to the days of action adventure. The game itself is quite a low-impact experience. The platforming is forgiving and the combat only really picks up if you set things to hard. What gets it onto the list is that it has the best characters and acting in any game I've played recently. While it's easy to point to the cut-scenes, what also impresses me is how the characters sound like they're actually in the environment. Damn. Kicks my ass every time I realise that I'm getting nostalgic for the early 00's.

5. Alan Wake

6. Fable III
An absolutely charming game. Created by people who obviously love this country and love what they're making. A lot of enthusiasm and dedication goes a long way in making a game just feel right. I'm content to wander around that world, interact with it's people and simply take it all in.

Then, on top of that, you've got a solid RPG/Adventure with all the customisation and tough decision making one hopes for from a Lionhead title.

7. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
As brilliantly written as ever. The only reason I still have a DS. I'll keep buying them if they keep translating them.

8. Dante's Inferno
The artistry and imagination of the game secures it's place on the list, while the simplistic character action knocks it right down. Far greater than the sum of it's parts.

9. Splatterhouse
More proof that I really enjoy gnarly trash. Pulp nonsense with a hint of Lovecraft and Poe. A love letter to Splatter, in all forms. Hugely stupid and fun.

10. Mass Effect 2
Now, I know what you're thinking. How can this dickhead place a game with infinitely more production value and overall polish be at the bottom of this list? Simply put: Fun. Mass Effect 2 was an entertaining and engrossing experience, but when compared to some of the other, trashier games on this list, I wasn't having a huge amount of fun. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to make an argument for games returning to their arcade/simplistic roots. This simply means I was looking for different experiences this year. All the huge games this year like Red Dead Redemption, God of War 3, Halo Reach Call of Duty: Black Ops and this, Mass Effect 2, will no doubt win big in all kinds of awards. They totally deserve to, and this is my nod to great quality.

1. Bionic Commando
I'm not fucking kidding! I honestly enjoyed the shit out of this game.

Farewell, Grin.

2. Brütal Legend
Excellent humor. Excellent music. Excellent game. Another winner on all fronts.

Not doubt I'm totally in the minority here, but the RTS stuff was actually really good. If it wasn't for stat glitches, I'd still be playing this online.

3. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
While it might just be another Ratchet game, it happens to be the best in the series so far.

4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Make no mistake, this is probably one of the best made games of the year. Just for me it fell a bit flat. I guess it's hard to explain what didn't quite click, but it's still so darn polished that it gets a place on this list.

5. Modern Warfare 2
While nonsensical at points, the story would easily be described as "Epic as all get out".

Not too fussed with the MP but Spec-ops really helps the longevity.

6. Dragon Age: Origins
While I'll admit I'm not hugely into the difficult old-school RPG combat mechanics, as an interactive fiction it's the best all year. I'm content to play on easy and just enjoy interacting with the world and it's characters, seeing what terrible and depressing things happen.

7. Assassin's Creed II
2009's most improved sequel.

8. Batman: Arkham Asylum
And out of nowhere came a Batman game that wasn't just worth a damn, but worth a whole crap load of damns.

9. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
I can't not nominate this years Monolith title.

10. Resident Evil 5
While it might not feel like an honest to goodness resident evil game, and some people seem to really hold that against it, it's a damn fine thriller of an action game.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 am

Top 5:
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Elder Scolls V: Oblivion
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Solatorobo
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Honourable mentions:
Fallout 3 / New Vegas
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Vanquish
Civilization V
Bionic Commando

Given a nod:
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men / Dog Days
Journey
The Last of Us
Osu Tatakae Ouendan
Brütal Legend

Not quite current gen:
F.E.A.R (Came out on PC a few months before the official start of 7th Gen)
Gravity Rush (PS Vita is considered 8th Gen)
Disgaia: Afternoon of Darkness (PS2 port)
Persona 4 (6th Gen console)
Persona 3 Portable (PS2 Port)
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 am

eVoL wrote:

Also.... you know whats crazy? Everyone thinks of the 360 as being the winner of this gen but its actually in last place by quite a bit.

Nintendo DS (DS) 154.80
Wii (Wii) 100.32
PlayStation 3 (PS3) 80.44
PlayStation Portable (PSP) 79.99
Xbox 360 (X360) 78.85

I don't think those figures are quite right eVol as Microsoft announced last month that they had sold 80m units worldwide and the PS3 has only just passed that mark as of November the 2nd, according to Sony's official announcement today. So by those figures the 360 is still ahead worldwide.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to Consoles & Handhelds