Mandatory Install but still need play disc GTAV?

Console Country!
KSNiNJA

Mandatory Install but still need play disc GTAV?

Postby KSNiNJA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey guy's

So i'v been reading that the 360 version of GTAV will require a mandatory 8GB installation which will be provided by a second disc. R* are advising consumers not to install both the installation disc and play disc, as this would ultimately end in "Pop in's" (Takes' map longer to load objects thus, when in an aircraft you could be hit by a invisible wall to then be rendered as a building or windmill etc)

While i now understand the pro's to not installing the play disc as it reads simultaneously with the hard drive's 8GB install disc, what about the con's.. In the past, while playing a game, in particular Left 4 dead i'v accidentally somehow managed to knock the system to then hear a large churning noise. Upon opening my 360 i'v saw a perfect circle etched into the disc which is then unplayable (this was when i HADN'T installed to hard drive.)

Now for you tech folks out there, my question... Is this completely safe? i mean people have children, me included that jump and run around the house/flat causing vibrations, also my 360 is situated under the desk beside my leg which is susceptible to getting knocked now and again... By installing the "install disc" i don't think this will eradicate this problem as you're still playing from the play disc at the same time to help loading/rendering times, so any advice?

Thanks in advance.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Mandatory Install but still need play disc GTAV?

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:36 pm

My advice would to be to move the console to somewhere that it isn't likely to get knocked.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:38 pm

I agree with DJ. The Xbox can't read from two locations on a hard drive at once, so if it's designed to stream data that way then I can imagine it would cause a world of problems. Is it possible to lie the xbox down horizontally?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

KSNiNJA

Postby KSNiNJA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:59 pm

@ DJ - At the moment my 360 sit's underneath the desk to the right of me, My desktop desk has 3 little compartment's its currently sitting horizontally on the top shelf, with a tiny bit of a hang over as the strip of wood isn't quite wide enough. The only other place i have to put it is on top of the desk next to my TV, only trouble is, even when typing right now my arms are causing the desk to wobble slightly, and you know how temperamental 360's are.

@ Quietman - Yeah, i did quite a bit of reading on the subject once i'd posted about the HDD, i'v always been more Sony orientated but my brother was willing to give me his just so i could play GTAV as i couldn't wait for the PC version, but i'm totally gonna get the PC version once it releases. As stated above mate, the xbox is already horizontal.

My main problem is that i live above garages in a flat, when my children run or walk even, you can feel the vibrations where my desk is. From what i'v read an 360 disc would hold both installation and play discs on one disc, just like the Sony's blu ray. Just trying to figure out why R* would pull such a move, especially for those that feel safer to install the play disc.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I don't think the discs will be that susceptible to vibrations from a little bit of nearby walking/running.

Unless your kids are kaiju.

KSNiNJA

Postby KSNiNJA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah, i'm probably over reacting. Just a bit skeptical is all. Me and the 360 don't have a good history together :P Hopefully, R* can incorporate some kind of patch or something in the near future, just so people can have peace of mind, hopefully though they get there arse's into gear and come out with a PC Port soon!

Thanks for the feedback as always :D STAY TOKSiC!

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:43 am

The solution is to install the 'play' disc onto a USB flash drive. That way the 360 is not trying to read two sets of data off the same drive. If you get one with a decent transfer rate it will have no problems, and will be just like reading off the DVD. You can get very tiny ones now that won't stick out and get knocked.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 am

Papa Lazarou wrote:The solution is to install the 'play' disc onto a USB flash drive. That way the 360 is not trying to read two sets of data off the same drive. If you get one with a decent transfer rate it will have no problems, and will be just like reading off the DVD. You can get very tiny ones now that won't stick out and get knocked.

This is what I have done and it's working fine. Mandatory install to the HD, Play disc to a USB flash drive.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Return to Consoles & Handhelds