Xbox One! All stock must go!

Console Country!
Prey
Admin

Re: Xbox One! All stock must go!

Postby Prey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:57 pm

I actually bought a brand new copy of Halo MCC for him to play until he'd saved enough money to buy his obligatory Destiny purchase and to our shock and horror we couldn't even find a single playable online match in any mode or for any of the included multiplayer games. :lol: :lol: All we got was a message saying "players found" and then nothing. How long has this game been out again? Utter fail.

Came home today to find him playing Warframe on it instead.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm

They finally did the "every X1 is a devkit" thing.

The introduction also warns that once you've converted your console over, you may occasionally run into issues running retail games. In addition, the introduction says, leaving Dev Mode will require resetting your console to its factory settings and uninstalling all of your games, apps and content.

Good or bad.... Steams deluge of shit would suggest this is a step towards a bad thing -_-
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:31 pm

Games still have to go through Certification so that will weed out a fair few and it also costs a bit of money.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Microsoft are following through on what Phil Spencer was talking about earlier in the year and are going to release a more powerful Xbox One console next year. Apparently it will have a new GPU, be able to output 4K and support the Rift. Microsoft are teaming up with Oculus to get the headset working on the upgraded system. Alongside this they are releasing a smaller and cheaper 1st generation Xbox One this year.

On top of all this there are rumours that Microsoft are shifting towards an Apple style system with their hardware. So no longer will there be a brand new system every 5-6 years, instead the system will be upgraded incrementally. It's a bold step if true and perhaps one that the industry has to take, but it could end up blowing up in their face much like the always online stuff.

You can find full details about all the rumours here.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Why does the industry need to take that approach? Surely having to support multiple variations of the same platform just increases software development costs, and means a console becomes obsolete more quickly.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 25, 2016 4:39 pm

It's very brave of them to think that the mobile phone approach will work with home consoles. Certain games on the app store only work with versions of the iPhone 5/6 or above, does this mean that eventually if you only have a 2015 edition of the Xbox One that you might not be able to play Xbox One 2020 edition games? The alternative is as Raid says, stump up the extra development costs to ensure that all games can run scaled down versions on the older hardware.

I think this will be disastrous for gaming in general, but no doubt it'll probably catch on, because 'yay consumerism'.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 pm

If the games are also on PC it's not going to change development much, just adding preset graphics options for each iteration one would assume.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah I'm not sure I see where this "its going to cost loads more" comes from when the PC has been doing this for years. I think Microsoft's end game is to basically provide you with a Xbox branded PC.

When I say the industry might have to take this step I mean I'm not sure the current system is sustainable. With each new console you are basically ditching your whole audience and trying to capture them again which means the beginning is hugely risky for those making software as not only have the costs gone up, but you are also going to sell less copies. Each generation has seen companies go bust and the amount of publishers/developers able to make the bigger games diminish, it's not something the industry can really sustain. On top of this most of the interesting and unique stuff is coming from independent/small teams who don't necessarily take advantage of the jump in hardware. So in this situation you have to ask why do we need a whole new console every 5-6 years, is it worth it?

It's not going to be like you get a new console every year, I would think it would be between ever 2-4 years and it might even be a case you can buy something that boosts your older console somehow ala the N64 Expansion pack.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 25, 2016 9:14 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Yeah I'm not sure I see where this "its going to cost loads more" comes from when the PC has been doing this for years.

And what are the costs of that development in a PC game? It's very rarely a choice; it's a necessity on the PC because of the vast range of specifications your software might face. I would imagine the costs come more from testing the numerous configurations of settings and hardware. I didn't say "loads more", but it's definitely going to increase by something.

I do get the point about major console refreshes versus incremental ones, but surely at some point there has to be a significant architectural change which will break compatibility. But the biggest issue I see with semi-annual hardware refreshes is the effect it has on your customer base. It's irritating knowing that you're running a lesser version of a game, having a marginally worse experience than someone with newer hardware. What happens when someone releases a game that doesn't run on the original iteration? Surely there's risk there in the same way as publishing for a brand new console generation.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Raid wrote:It's irritating knowing that you're running a lesser version of a game, having a marginally worse experience than someone with newer hardware.

This is why I think it will catch on. People want the next and greatest piece of hardware because it makes them feel special. Works the same with mobile phones. Give it a few years and it'll be a completely accepted norm that kids go to their parents every Christmas and demand the next upgraded model.

Perhaps they can start selling consoles on monthly contracts like you would sign up to for mobile. Pay £40 a month on contract and potentially get the newest and most powerful console model when your contract is up for renewal.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 25, 2016 9:29 pm

That sounds awful.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 am

It is highly unlikely that there is going to be a huge architectural change now as these consoles are basically PCs. If you are already doing a PC version of a game, which most big publishers are, then you are already doing compatibility testing so any added cost is likely to be small and offset by the fact that you can sell you game to potentially a wider audience.

As to people not liking the fact that they are playing a lesser experience I think as people who are really into gaming we automatically assume that everyone else who plays games wan't the highest fidelity possible and I don't think that it necessarily true. Just look at phone gaming and how people are fine with much less graphically technical games. Blizzard makes some of the most popular games around and they are not exactly graphical powerhouses and are often tailored to run on lower powered systems. One of the most popular games in the world is Minecraft and you couldn't get much more basic graphically and technically than that. The vast majority of people who play games are probably less concerned with whether the games they are playing are outputting at the best possible resolution and just want it to run well and be fun to play.

Don't get me wrong I don't really want to see the console business move in this direction, I've stated previously that I will probably be done with consoles if they choose to go down this route. However I can see the reasons for making such a move and in some respects it is a move which makes sense.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 am

Just an update on that newer Xbox One, reports are now claiming that it will be up to 4 times more powerful than the current Xbox One. If true that is a crazy leap in power and puts it at a higher power point than the PS4 Neo.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Well, despite my dabbling in Playstation territory, I'm still a Xbot at heart.

Yeah, I'll probably be getting an S to play the Non-PC Xbox exclusives (No Rare Replay or 360 on PC), then jumping to Scorpio. From the sounds of it, that damn thing is more powerful than my current PC set up! :o

Will pick up a Neo some point in between, just to get those Sony exclusives.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:42 am

Microsoft are selling original Xbox Ones for £179.99 with Forza Horizons 3 and another game if anyone fancied grabbing a cheap Xbox.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... 2016-en_GB

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds