Sony Playstation Computer Consoles By Sony

Console Country!
Subway Diet

Re: Sony Playstation Computer Consoles By Sony

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:06 am

eVoL wrote:I couldn't get past the dumbness of uncharted 4. Like when you fins a super secret entrance and do a long series of puzzles and difficult climbing for a window to show you a fucking 100foot statue on the damn beach with a spyglass showing where to go! Literally the first place anyone would go to on the island! Happens a bunch of other slightly less egregious times too.

Also, Sam was shit. Still probably the second best in the series. Uncharted 1 might be rough, but it's still the best. Best told story with no forced grandeur. It's so much less flabby than the rest. 1>4=3>GA>2.

Glad that's them done with the series
Isn't there a new out out this Summer? A side story, sure, but it's more Uncharted. They'll never be done with it. Just like how they won't be able to leave The Last of Us alone.

I hope whatever they do next goes back to being fun. Or perhaps they'll just become the Quantic Dream of action adventures?
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:57 am

The only redeeming feature of Uncharted 4 I felt was the story, but I agree Sam was not great. The gunplay was still average with the terrible magically spawning enemies, however they managed to make it worse by having a pretty poor stealth system which was just a hassle to use. I'll give it props for finding a better balance between action and periods of exploration, but the open world bits felt a bit like filer.

Overall I liked it more than 3, but 2 remains the best.

On the PS4 front I started The Witness on Sunday. I really like the sedate nature of the game and I am enjoying the puzzles. My only complaints are that you can come across puzzles which you are not yet equipped to solve because you haven't visited the appropriate area which is frustrating and the boat is awful. Originally I did lament the lack of the map, but the one in the boat is good enough to let you know where each area is and once you have found them I think there are enough landmarks on the island to allow you to navigate around. I do think they could have made the boat easier to find though.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 pm

PS4 Pro is getting a Boost Mode that lets non-patched regular PS4 titles make use of the extra resources. Regular titles should be able to maintain steadier framerates now. It's just gone live on the PS4 beta program and people are already reporting better performance on a range of titles, with steady rates and less screen tearing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-smoothly

This could go a long way towards making me upgrade. I want silky smooth Bloodborne gameplay.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:12 am

Pro purchase justified! :D
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Anyone here picked up Nioh?
I told myself I wouldn't get it. That I've already got a back log of long, involving Japanese games to play.

Saw one too many highly positive review and broke. Will report back on just how badly it's tanned my ass later.

While we're on the topic: Found this on Eurogamer. A relatively painless video about the historic events that inspired the game:
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:37 pm

I'll be getting it when I've cleared a couple more off my PS4 backlog and it's a bit cheaper. Definitely going to buy it at some point though.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Mantis wrote:I'll be getting it when I've cleared a couple more off my PS4 backlog and it's a bit cheaper. Definitely going to buy it at some point though.
I swear. After nier, Mass Effect and Persona 5, I'll stop buying games willy-nilly. I swear it!
Might even try and finish Bloodborne! #-o
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Oh if only you knew the depth of my neurosis. My backlog of console games is shameful, probably worse than my PC backlog considering I generally paid £20+ for most of these games.

I'm getting better though. Slowly.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I'd like to pick up Nioh, but not for £42. I'd also like to get Yakuza too, but that is also very pricey or not in stock.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Oh, I've got Yakuza 0 as well. That sits with Gravity Rush 1/2 and Valkyria Chronicles.

I was doing so well. Finishing every game I bought... and now look at me. That's hours well in the triple digits. (Triple digit cash too! Oh woe is me!) 8-[
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:17 pm

More comprehensive rundown on the benefits of the new boost mode for the PS4 Pro. Seems that it benefits games that previously struggled to maintain their top framerates.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... hed-titles

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Newer FROM games:
Bloodborne - Maintains 30fps more steadily with less drops in large combat scenarios. Doesn't fix the really bad frame pacing though or do anything substantial for the poor loading times.
Dark Souls 3 - Sticks to 30fps more consistently and doesn't suffer from the poor frame pacing of Bloodborne so generally feels slightly smoother. No change on slow load times.

Also tested Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin, Lords of the Fallen, Evil Within, Until Dawn, Oddworld New 'n Tasty, Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:24 pm

This is probably one of those situations where it drives certain people mad, like claiming not to see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but I've no idea what fame pacing is or what it looks like.
People talk about it like it's some massive issue in Bloodborne, but I can't seem to notice it.

Good for me, I guess? :-k

Oh, and while I'm here.

This Nioh, you guys. I'm really digging it. It just feels right, you know?

It's crazy to see how I went from looking at the first major boss and feeling like it was insurmountable, to learning how to beat it, to then doing a second run of the level and just tanning the boss with little strain when I got back to it. It's quite something when you actually feel like you've gotten better at a game.

The moment to moment combat feeling good goes a long way to making it more approachable. It's more Action RPG than the Souls Action RPG. Admittedly, I miss the post-apocalyptic eldritch terror of that series. Nioh trades the cryptic horror for feeling like the coolest bad-ass... even when some shitty bandit runs you through with a spear. Might have died, but you'll be back, and that dude is going to lose his head next time.

(Should be noted that I'm both not very far in and not very good at these types of games, so my opinion isn't worth a damn thing. Luckily, the vast majority of reviews have been positively glowing, so take that for what you will.)
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:10 pm

I notice the frame pacing problems in Bloodborne from time to time. It's especially apparent when enemies are spawning on screen and you can see the animations staggering. It doesn't really ruin my enjoyment of the game at all, though I would much rather be able to play at 60fps over 30 because there is a massive difference to me having got used to high refresh rates on PC.

Sometimes it can be beneficial having poor eyesight. :P

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:28 am

The frame pacing issues in Bloodborne hurt the game massively for me, it was my first console game since I was a kid and I just thought that's what 30fps felt like as I'm used to 60fps without dips on PC, then I played more console games and realised that was not normal at all. I honestly noticed it instantly, it was extremely jarring. By the time I had finished the game I was somewhat used to it but it was still horrible, it's unbelievable they never fixed it and that the problem persists in Dark Souls III (I actually played DS3 on PC and it was night and day, so so fluid compared to Bloodborne). Frame rate and frame pacing issues are the main reasons my PS4 is purely an exclusive box, I just can't handle poor performance, I wish more games went the Nioh route, I'd take 720p/60fps over 1080p/30fps any day if I have to. That being said 30fps done well can feel OK, the Order 1886 felt great, as did Uncharted 4 when it was hitting its target (which it didn't do all the time sadly), but then you have games like Until Dawn which drop into the teens and feel awful to play, I wish Sony would enforce standards when it comes to performance, 30fps stable should be the bare minimum.
The question isn't why do I kill people, the question is... why I don't kill everybody

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds