Sony Playstation Computer Consoles By Sony

Console Country!
eVoL

Re: Sony Playstation Computer Consoles By Sony

Postby eVoL » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

Wouldn't say it's a big ask, still crazy good value for what you get. Sucks it's going up but I can't really clype that much. Even if you just take it as for one system, it's £2 a game. If you have all 3 it's (calculator....) 69p a game! Giggidygiggidygiggidy.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Yeah, the value isn't terrible yet, but it's probably past the point where I'm interested now. We got our PS4 in December, a PS+ sub around Easter, and I think I've played maybe two or three hours of the games we've had since then. I think I've actually played more Lumines on the Vita which was a free game close to when the service originally launched years ago. I'm not interested in the multiplayer.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

When two thirds of the games are coming out for systems I no longer use or own and the two that do come out for the system are middling at best it doesn't feel that great value for money.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Infamous Second Son and Child of Light, plus a variety of junk, available on PSN this month. Pretty happy with those two titles!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am

Andrew House has left Sony Interactive Entertainment after 27 years...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... r-27-years

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Sony had a thing in gay Paree today. Stuff happened...

Spelunky 2, Guacamelee 2, Last of Us 2 trailer etc etc

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:48 pm

That conference was incredibly boring.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:That conference was incredibly boring.
What? You didn't like the child abuse and mutilation of women?
End of an Era

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Fucking grim would be putting it lightly. Switched off around that point and decided to rock in the corner a bit.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 pm

It's certainly somewhat darker than what they dished out with the first game, I liked it though, very brave of them to write something quite that twisted for a franchise which has such a widespread audience.

Would it have been more acceptable had it been men mutilating other men?

Other than that though, agreed it was a rather dull conference.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 pm

I think the ethics of using child abuse as a plot point in an entertainment product are questionable, particularly when you're giving the player the choice as to whether it happens or not.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:50 pm

Worth noting I was referring to The Last of Us trailer with the above post. I haven't seen the Detroit thing yet, but I did read this insight into the demo though:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... c-violence

And I thoroughly agree with Cage and the general sentiment in the comments for the article.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 pm

I did find the last question a little perplexing;
Finally - I know I need to wrap up - is nothing off-limits as far as you're concerned as a writer?

David Cage: Off-limits? What is off-limits is what goes beyond the values I believe in. There are things I'd never do. I'd never do a racist game, or a misogynist game. These are the limits. When you feel okay with the content and the meaning when you know you have nothing to be ashamed of because it's fair and it tells the right story and because it's moving. There are no limits.

I don't quite understand why he thinks racism is an uncomfortable topic when child abuse isn't. I'm not suggesting he thinks one is better than the other, or that he's in any way more in favour of one, but if you're going to explore the most shameful elements of humanity, why are some off limits when others aren't?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 pm

He means on a personal level, he even ends that response by saying that there aren't any limits when you're comfortable with the content of the story you're telling. He's not saying that there shouldn't be games that tackle issues around racism or misogyny, or that one topic is better than another, simply that he doesn't feel it's his place to tell those kinds of stories. It's his choice as an artist, not a blanket statement about the medium in general.

Whether it was wise to show that snippet of gameplay as part of a trailer where people will take it out of context of the whole story is an entirely different issue; maybe he knew it'd receive very mixed reactions and wanted to capitalise on that to get people talking about his game. But I dislike the tone of the questions being posed by Eurogamer as if we should just avoid certain issues just because it's a video game.

Cage might not always make the most functional of games, but I've always admired his ambitions to turn games into a more meaningful medium. Video games are only just scratching the surface in terms of what they can achieve as a form of interactive story telling, and I don't think creative people like Cage should be shot down just because he's integrating issues into his writing that some people automatically take offence to. How else will the format ever grow up if we don't get a chance to see games like this being made. Far darker things get made in the film industry and I call bullshit when the interviewer says he'd ask the same question of any director.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm

My take away is that I can't help but feel using this kind of violence at press conferences to try and sell games keeps getting weirder and weirder.

The Sony fellow comes out saying how wonderful games, how everyone is so happy. Oh, and one last thing...
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds