Dust 514 (PS3)

Console Country!
eVoL

Dust 514 (PS3)

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:58 pm

CCP/Eve Online Fanfest is this weekend. The presentation of Dust is going to be livestreemed on Home starting at 5pm on Thursday. I'm sure there will be other ways to watch but theres also live Q&A with people watching from Home which is quite neat.

One of the big things of the last few weeks is that Dust will be free to play on PS3. This pleases me because I expect it to be crap but would have to buy it anyway because Eve is so much win.

Introductory vid from IGN:
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/03/15/dus ... the-basics

http://www.dust514.com
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Re: Dust 514 (PS3)

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Isn't this coming out on PC as well now?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 pm

I think I heard the same, yeah t'is.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm

I didnt think they had confirmed it yet.

Presentation starting in 5mins...
http://fanfest.eveonline.com/en/stream/free

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Oh my!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:40 pm

That is so fucking cool! :mrgreen:

If its worthwhile enough you can have fleet fights going on in space to provide support to the ground... if they pull this off it will be amazing! The skills and fitting looks pretty damn deep too. Want muchly!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:58 pm

So what relevance does this have for capsule pilots? What effect do fights in Dust have on Eve?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:19 pm

The exact details are going to be revealed more on Saturday but essentially it seems like.... Dust players use the same currency as Eve players and both can sell and buy from each other and set contracts up... so dust players can put contracts up for Eve players to pick up to support them on the ground and Eve players can contract Dust players to attack planets (not clear how that will exactly change Eve right now). Theres a new mod of Battleships (maybe caps too?) for orbital bombardment, so the BS can move into orbit and the Dust players can designate places to strike on the ground. There could be more than just you that is trying to complete that contract which can lead to an orbital fight.... or the opposite side of the war on the planet could have contracted another Eve corp and again, space fight! Its amazing seeing both games sync up in real time. Well... its amazing to me :P

The loadouts are also very similar to Eve. You get powergrid and cpu and similar mods to implant into your.. uhm... battlesuit? and vehicles. Theres also a passive skill system like Eve but also an active XP style one - not much details on either right now. It also seems like maybe Eve players will be supplying the vehicles to the land fights too... or at least can bolster the fight.

Its all just really cool and really interesting. Eves already pretty much one of the most unique games around (love it or hate it) and this is just pushing it farther.... if it works. I was really cynical of it all before that presentation but now I'm all excited! You cant know till you play it and see how it feels/plays but... yeah.... GIVE!

Sounds like it will be very late this year or early next year.

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:30 am

The other thought is Protecting a Bombardment ship from a hostile fleet whilst you cover your Dust team in taking a planet.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 am

The presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92Wpt7_RV8

I love the bit when hes told how many hundred thousand people are watching via home and he clearly loses his nerve for a second :lol:

Emaharg

Postby Emaharg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:32 am

As far as a free game goes this looks like it could be fantastic. I hope that the gameplay manages to keep people interested, and that the game modes don't get too tedious and repetitive.

Cant wait though. A free game is a free game!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 26, 2012 8:09 am

Wooh! Beta invite! :mrgreen:

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Initial impressions.... it feels very Quake Wars which for me is a bad thing. Not necessarily the gameplay but the feel of how you move. The graphics are SHIT but I think thats more that its a beta and keeping DL size down (was just over a gig).

As much as the game feels quakewarsy, the out of game stuff is VERY Eve. The options are daunting. As far as I can gather, you have infinite amount of the default 3 fittings (missile dude, sniper dude and uzi dude) then you can go buy new equipment from the market but when your character dies you lose everything fitted to him (just like Eve) but most things are dirt cheap so its not a problem buying a stockpile and as long as you have a stockpile it will autofit your new suit with the required parts. Pretty cool because you know there will be hella expensive shit just like in Eve I'm just not sure if you can loot or not.

Skills is like Eve in that you gain SP over real time, but unlike Eve all SP goes into a pool and you distribute it from there so you dont have a skill queue its more like you acquire sill currency in real time to spend when you have enough. Its a decent system. Real money can be used to increase SP gain but it seems to be like in Eve where your skills only let you be so good at certain things and really SP gain just lets you diversify quicker, at least once you have your fitting skills trained.

Over all its pretty cool but the gameplay itself I wouldnt pay £40 for. Since its free and has all the cool backend features I'm rather looking forward to it!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 am

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Shiny.

Looks a bit like Planetside 2.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Next

Return to Consoles & Handhelds