Playstation Vita

Console Country!
Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: Playstation Vita

Postby Wolfy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Wolfy wrote:Right, come on guys! Gief me dealz! The cheapest I can find it is £218.99 on its own. I want free stuff with that! You hear me? FREE STUFF!

Cheapest on it's own is probably gonna be ShopTo as usual. They're doing it for £209.86. They have a few bundles too.

Oh, you star. :D
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:16 pm

New Vita commercial

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/video-wa ... ere/091207

Interesting to see Sony went with the DDay landings and not Guadalcanal or Peleliu Island or the liberation of Manila.....fnar fnar 8)
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 am

The 3G model is apparently PAYG with Vodafone. But since everyone's so bloody vague about how much you get for what price, there's no bloody point - You get 250Mb for FREE for £5 on the initial purchase from a Vodafone shop...
Yeah, er, thanks?

Sounds absolutely shite. 3G version is a definite no-go. Unless you want to pay £50 extra for a GPS...
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Meh, if it were me I'd just tether it to my phone via wi-fi.

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Yeah, exactly.

Think I'm going with HMV in-store. They do a bundle with Uncharted for 229.99.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm just going to print a picture of one and put it in my cupboard. Cheaper and performs the exact same function ¬_¬
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Wolfy

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm getting it as a paperweight tbh.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm

I dunno if any of you watched Giant Bomb's live stream covering most of the Vita launch games, but they've divided them all into handy Quick Looks now.

Even if you discount Gerstmann's amusingly negative opinion about life, they don't seem all that enthused, particularly by the two big hitters, Uncharted and Wipeout. I'm not all that impressed by what I've seen of them either.

The best launch games appear to be Super Stardust, Rayman, FIFA, Lumines, and Everybody's Golf. Only Stardust and Golf are really new, so those would be the two games I'd buy.

With all that considered, and how disappointing Wipeout is... I can't justify a launch purchase.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 pm

I so very much want it for Everybodys Golf especially...... but I cancelled my preorder because Ive decided to get a Schnauzer instead :D

I'll get a Vita when theyre discounted at xmas..... or probably before then if my impulsiveness takes over.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm

I wont be investing until they confirm support for PS1 and PS2 classic titles. It'd be criminal if they didn't, especially seeing as how the 3000 does PS1 classics already.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Mantis wrote:I wont be investing until they confirm support for PS1 and PS2 classic titles. It'd be criminal if they didn't, especially seeing as how the 3000 does PS1 classics already.

PS1 is definitely coming. PS2 is not gonna happen. The PS3 isn't powerful enough to do PS2 software emulation, so no chance for the Vita. And there are no 'PS2 classic' titles on PSN anyway, due to the PS3 BC fail. Instead, they're making big bucks out of HD remasters, some of which are already confirmed for Vita (MGS2/3, FFX). Whether the older HD remasters like God of War 1/2 and ICO/SOTC will be ported... a small chance I guess.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 pm

The PS3 is perfectly capable and powerful enough, they've just released about 30 PS2 Classics onto the network in the last few days for £8 each with promises that more will come as they can put them out. The US store has had access to a few PS2 games for a while now. I see no reason they wouldn't be able to bring them to the Vita eventually given how powerful it is. They said today that there're no plans to bring PS1 and PS2 games to the Vita 'at the moment' that's all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... tion-store

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... to-ps-vita

I imagine one of the main reasons they removed backwards compatibility on disc from the newer PS3 models was because they knew they'd eventually get the catalogue on the store for resale in digital format.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Oh. News to me. Goes to show how often I manage to actually get on PSN.

But the PS3 isn't powerful enough to do a full PS2 emulator, otherwise they wouldn't have mucked about with having PS2 chips in older PS3s.

According to the PS Blog:

"Much work has gone into enabling these particular titles to work on PS3; more titles to come; but each title requires special development to ensure they work correctly on PS3 hardware."

So they probably have to go through some of the steps to make the HD remasters to get these PS2 games to work, in which case they'd have to do a whole bunch more work to have any hope of getting them to run on Vita. But it could happen I suppose. Less work than an HD remaster, but you can't charge as much...

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:38 pm

They said that about PS1 games on PSP and that turned out to just be an awesomely coded emulator. It'll be exactly what PS2 games are on PS3, at most they will be doing config files for each game to optimise them and give them a playthrough. Remember PS1 emulation was on chip at the start of PS2 era, by the end it was all software.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 pm

I think they stand to make a lot more money from releasing more direct ports of PS2 games for a decent price over the network than if they simply kept to releasing the occasional HD upscaling of more popular titles. It'd be a huge missed opportunity if they didn't make them available on the Vita.

Only issue is that I can see most PS2 games being somewhere in the region of 1.5-2.5GB of data, which doesn't leave a whole lot of space if you're not willing to shell out for the stupidly expensive higher capacity Sony memory cards. They really need to sort the pricing of those things out, then again it never bothered Microsoft that they were forcing people to pay £80 for a 20GB storage device.

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds