Xbox 360 Thread-Mark VIII

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK

Re: Xbox 360 Thread-Mark VIII

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 am

You can bet that Microsoft have been working on some sort of streaming system and they have already talked about focusing resources on a cloud based TV service. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and roll out some sort of backwards compatibility via a streaming system of their own.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:02 am

Now there is talk of the next Xbox being some sort of Google TV type thing that will run through your current cable box.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ion-report

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am

I think it's pretty clear that games are going to be taking a backseat for this console. I'm expecting their E3 presentation to be filled to the brim with movie, TV, music, social networking and Kinect controls; with a smattering of "Oh, and here's Halo 5 and Forza 6!"

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Maybe, but I think their event in May is more likely to be that with E3 seeing them focus on the games.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:27 pm

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Microsoft expands its Xbox brand

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection. Durango will be priced competitively according to PS4′s price.

Kinect 2.0

A different department within Xbox handles Kinect hardware and software. The focus was more on developing and networking both consoles with Kinect more of an after thought at that point, considering dealing with it would be less of an issue even with hardware changes to the main console hardware. Kinect isn’t the primary focus.

The development kits required several pieces of hardware as to combine all “potential” hardware which may or may not be required to work with each other, which also includes the potential for any or all devices to required a network connection, which is where most of the “required” rumors are coming from.
Interesting.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:17 pm

So they want you to buy two consoles just to play old games?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 pm

You think having that option is a bad thing? Theyre not asking you to buy it to play your old games, you have a 360, just to play them through the new UI/single HDMI etc.. which is great. The fact its got no DVD should make it small and maybe even powered from the Durango? Its all speculation but thats great! I really wish Sony would do that.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm

It would have to have it's own power source as I would guess they would want some people to buy just the smaller unit. Also the way they talk about XBLA would suggest to me that they would still envisage developers releasing games on the service that would play on both the Durango and the re-formed Xbox 360. If they are pitching it to compete with Apple TV they would want developers to continue releasing software for it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 pm

eVoL wrote:You think having that option is a bad thing? Theyre not asking you to buy it to play your old games, you have a 360, just to play them through the new UI/single HDMI etc.. which is great. The fact its got no DVD should make it small and maybe even powered from the Durango? Its all speculation but thats great! I really wish Sony would do that.

So they want you to buy an extra console add-on just to play old games, of which any that you own on DVD you'd have to rebuy. And all for the convenience of being able to run it all through a single component cable? Being powered through the Durango isn't really relevant, if they were powered separately and I were playing old 360 games on the other device I wouldn't turn my Durango on anyway.

Sounds like a pretty bad option to me when they could just make the new console backwards compatible.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 pm

I thought it would be backwards compatible given it's meant to be a computer-but-not.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:39 pm

JohnyHumf wrote:I thought it would be backwards compatible given it's meant to be a computer-but-not.

The new console uses a CPU from AMD so in order to get 360 games to work you would probably need to include the 360 CPU, which was created by IBM, due to the different architecture between the two. This adds cost and heat issues and is a feature that while people complain about, isn't often used by most console gamers. Hence the next Xbox not including backwards compatibility.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm

He's like OmniPRfunK

:lol:

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Just stating the facts my man.

Personally I would love all consoles to be backwards compatible, but I understand why they don't include that option.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Next Xbox reveal happening on May 21st...

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/24/next-xb ... on-report/

It better have integrated Pizza Hut support or I'm out.

PreviousNext

Return to Consoles & Handhelds