High Street Coffee chains

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: High Street Coffee chains

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:53 am

Mournblade wrote:
Snowy wrote:I don't understand coffee-shop culture - I think it is something we have appropriated from America

Nope. Coffee shop culture started in England in the 17th century.

Didn't know that, I'd always assumed it originated somewhere like Venice although I must confess I never gave it much thought.

In terms of my original comment though, maybe I should have been more specific and referenced the resurgence of coffee-shop culture. From my perspective England for years had either pub or cafe culture, it hasn't been until very recently that the explosion of coffee shops has happened. Continental Europe and the US by comparison have always had more of a coffee culture.

It is funny though - I never think of going to a coffee shop for a chat. For me, it is always a pub. I think nothing of stopping for a pint and a gas with friends but every time I am in a coffee shop I feel like I am wasting valuable time. Conditioning I suppose!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Well, according to the articles I posted, the coffee house culture of England declined in the late 18th century due to social snobbery.

Now, thanks to American capitalism, they're back, but in a far more soulless form.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Going to a modern coffee shop for a chat would be like going to McDonald's for a chat.

One thing that used to shock me was walking past a Starbucks early in the morning and seeing school kids (early teens)buying coffee.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 pm

katarn wrote:But going each day to purchase a coffee and taking it back to the office soon adds up. My sister was spending £20+ a week easily, which was £1k off her yearly salary. She soon quit doing it once I pointed it out to her; free instant coffee from the office kitchen is worth £1k a year....

This. I do not advocate coffee celibacy as life would be boring but I think many people are conditioned to enter one of these cafe and fuel up on coffee at a huge expense even though they probably do not need it. I dislike the whole "coffee on the go" attitude we have now. It's like when mobiles first came out and rich people were flashing them with a "look what I have" attitude. It is so middle class, especially in Waitrose when people are carrying a coffee when shopping. Fuck off.

I would say that these coffees can be addictive and I am not just referring to the caffeine, but the lifestyle you want to associate with, but when you hand over £20 for a simple lunch at these places than you know deep down you are getting ripped off. I am so glad I opted out. Home-made coffee in a flask !
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm

It's the social element that's attractive though isn't it.

It's just an alternative to meeting your friend and going for a pub lunch to spend a similar amount. I wouldn't go for lunch with a friend but insist on taking my own home-made coffee and packed lunch; it's just nice to meet up and pay a bit more to have those things done for you whilst you catch up with someone.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:34 pm

I think shows like Friends and Frasier helped propagate the social aspect of it in the 90s and 00s, or at least the perceived ideal. The reality is in places like that it's not relaxing at all because half the time there's loud noises, people queuing or milling around waiting for their drinks, etc. Also cafe table service isn't really a thing in the UK aside from the occasional independent cafe.

So rather than people gathering post-work for a relaxed coffee in an oversized mug on a comfy sofa, we've morphed into this culture of people who jovially insist that they need their caffeine 'hit' first thing in the morning before they can function. But Achtung's right, it's a statement more than anything. Look at me, I'm a busy working professional who simply has to have my overpriced brand coffee every morning to get through my very important business work, like a proper adult.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Look at me, I'm a busy working professional who simply has to have my overpriced brand coffee every morning to get through my very important business work, like a proper adult.

I think that's the underlying factor.

Though...

Wrathbone wrote:we've morphed into this culture of people who jovially insist that they need their caffeine 'hit' first thing in the morning before they can function

This is actually true for me. I really struggle to function in the morning without a cup of coffee. Instant is fine though.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:41 pm

We used to go to pubs, now we go to coffee shops.....

Love me a mug of coffee though, Costas by choice, but anywhere will do (Starbucks needs an extra shot).
We have a 1 litre cafetiere in the office between four of us. Does mean that I'm technically drinking MUGS of esspresso but hey, them's the breaks :D
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Tichinde at work :) :

(I assume you wear a dinner jacket to work.)
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:32 pm

There's a book here about the history of the 17th century English coffee house, which I know you gamers will all immediately purchase.

This quote concerns the discovery of coffee by Europeans in the early 1600s:

...travellers accounted for how men would consume an intoxicating liquor, "black in colour and made by infusing the powdered berry of a plant that flourished in Arabia." Native men consumed this liquid "all day long and far into the night, with no apparent desire for sleep but with mind and body continuously alert, men talked and argued, finding in the hot black liquor a curious stimulus quite unlike that produced by fermented juice of grape."

Coffee is the drink that created and continues to fuel the modern world.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Mournblade wrote:There's a book here about the history of the 17th century English coffee house, which I know you gamers will all immediately purchase.

Just got it, thanks for that.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 pm

You purchased the new paperback edition going for £881.91 I hope? :lol:

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:26 pm

you would think they would throw in p&p for free !. Cheap bastards
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Mournblade wrote:You purchased the new paperback edition going for £881.91 I hope? :lol:

:lol: If I had that sort of money I'd be putting new guts in my pc right now. No, it's kindle version for me.

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Wrathbone wrote:I also have these occasionally:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyons-Coffee-B ... offee+bags

To my uncultured taste buds they're as good as any flat white you'll get from a coffee shop, and at that price it's about 17p per cup.

"This item does not ship to the United States."

I'm just gonna blame trump on this one, stupid fucker :evil:

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World