Roll up for the inaugural Preymier League tournament!

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Sly Boots
MILF

Roll up for the inaugural Preymier League tournament!

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Ok, so as I said a while back I've been thinking about trying something new for a Prey's World fantasy football league for the new season. A couple of people stopped taking part as they were a bit tired of the new gimmicks and so on for the official FA one we've been using.

So what I'm thinking about trying is a different site that uses a draft format.

What does that mean?

Basically, it's a single pool of players for all the participants to choose from. Ie, if someone is lucky enough to get Kane or Salah then nobody else gets to have them.

I used this site last year in a league of 9 other Liverpool supporters (I took part but wasn't the organiser), and it was really good! Players score points for all sorts of things, goals, assists, key passes, tackles, saves and many others, basically everything positive they do in-game, which means it isn't just about who scores the most. One of the highest scoring players last season was Ben Davies, the Spurs left-back. It's a really neat system.

How does it work?

We'd all be in our own mini-league, and each week we all play a head-to-head game, one team against another and the winner getting the three points to contribute to their league placing. Last season, despite having the highest overall points scored I still finished 3rd because I lost a few more head-to-heads than the winner and runner-up.

Again, this is a pretty neat system, as if you have a bad week you can still get back in the mix pretty easily.

In terms of selecting your team, we can either do it so we're all online at the same time and pick players in turn, or we each set up an automated list of preferences and the site basically does that for us. My league last year was all US-based aside from me, so I set up an automated list while they all did it while online together, and I still got a nice team out of it.

You can also set up trades between the players, or pick and choose from the pool of remaining players that weren't drafted initially. There's no budget so no limit on the amount of top players you can have (assuming someone else hasn't picked them first).

As I said before, I think we'll need at least 6 people (but hopefully more) to make this viable given the head-to-head nature of the competition. I'm hoping those that stopped playing the other format might be tempted back by this.

If you want to check out the site for yourself, it's: https://www.playtogga.com/

Thoughts? It would also be great to get a show of hands of people who want to do this before I go ahead and set anything up.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Re: New idea for fantasy football league - feedback welcome!

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Sounds good to me Sly ole buddy.

Sign me up!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Hurrah!
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 am

I’m in!
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:48 am

Hurrah!

One more and I'm tempted to give it a go with four anyway, see how it it goes. But I'm hoping we'll get a few more.

The good thing is that this season the transfer window closes before the start, so we can go ahead and sort the teams without worrying about good new players arriving later, or switching clubs.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 am

No-one else? :/
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 am

I know nothing about football but go on sly. I will need brief but consise instructions.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:19 am

Jez wrote:I know nothing about football but go on sly. I will need brief but consise instructions.

Can do!

It's actually pretty straightforward, the system allows you to see how many points all the players scored the previous season, so essentially you can construct a list of preferences in a few minutes by sorting it by last year's points so all the best ones are at the top and dragging as many as you want onto your own list.

It'll be a few weeks before I set this up (late July probably), but essentially when it's the time to draft our teams we're all randomly assigned a number (1-4 if it's just the four of us). No1 then has first pick of a player, then no2, then no3, no4... then no1 goes first to pick a second player and so on and so on until the teams are filled.

Think of it like being at school and having to pick a sports team in PE :)

If we all go down the automated list route, which given the difficulty of getting everyone online at the same time for an hour is probably best, then it's exactly the same except the system goes down everyone's list of preferences in order from top to bottom.

For example say everyone has Harry Kane as their no1 preference. If WB is designated as the no1 player for the draft then he'll get Kane, then you (for example) as the no2 player will get the second name down on your list, and so on.

I hope that makes sense, but I'll post more detailed instructions nearer the time!
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:07 pm

This sound suspiciously like NFL Fantasy Football. Down with this kind of thing!

Seriously though, I might be interested, not sure. I think I've just had enough of Fantasy Football full stop.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Hmmm. It'll depend sly a little on how much day to day effort I have to put in really. I don't want to start it and then lose interest mainly because I have no fuckin clue what football is about anymore these days.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Day to day is basically minimal to nothing Jez. It's entirely up to you, you can leave your team as it is after the selection process, which will probably be fine, or you can sift through the list of players who weren't chosen at your leisure throughout the season (maybe if one of yours gets a long-term injury or something).
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:This sound suspiciously like NFL Fantasy Football. Down with this kind of thing!

Seriously though, I might be interested, not sure. I think I've just had enough of Fantasy Football full stop.

Hey Dj! It was mainly with you in mind that I racked my brain for a way to tempt you back after you had had enough of the FA site gimmicks :)

It would be great to have you on board. As I've just said to Jez, you can be as involved or not after the draft as you want - you can basically leave your team as it is and forget about it, or if it captures your interest there's lots of scope for fine-tuning (and bants! Don't forget the bants!)

Six would be a nice number for the league if we can get it. Four will still work, but it'll be a bit like the Scottish Premiership in terms of how often we're playing each other :lol:
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Ok, let's get this rolling :D

First of all, start by going to the site and clicking join a league: https://www.playtogga.com/

League code is: 5UVGU9FH43PU7F4Z

For now, that'll be about it. Once we have our players all signed up, I can set a draft order (ie in which order we all get to pick players), which I'll randomise.

Once I've done that, you'll be able to assemble a list of preferred players to pick - like I said it will be pretty simple.

But for now, just join the league.

Let's go!
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Roll up for the inaugural Preymier League tournament!

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Oh, and I'll move this thread into the sports forum once we've everyone has joined... here for the time being for the extra traffic! [-o<
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Re: Roll up for the inaugural Preymier League tournament!

Postby Medicine Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Will get it sorted later this afternoon Sly.

Next

Return to General & Real World