High Street Woes

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Achtung Englander

High Street Woes

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 am

What the fuck is happening ?

Yesterday Maplin and ToysRUs declared bankruptcy. OK that is understandable but this morning Carpet Right is in dire straits

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43239036

Carpet Right ?. How they can they lose money ? Their margins must be massive. This is happening when we have a so called boom in the economy (although this boom strangely never comes my way). In our next recession (which is coming) the High Street is utterly fucked.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Wrathbone

Re: High Street Woes

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 am

I guess when people have no money, buying carpets is low priority?
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 am

I wonder how much is a lack of confidence in the quality of national chains?

I ask this as we had our house re-carpeted a few years back. We used a highly recommended local outfit who did not disappoint. I always take this approach where I can, both to support my local economy and to ensure I deal with an organisation that will value my business and treat me accordingly.

This year I will be having the windows in the house replaced, and again I would not think for a moment of approaching a nationwide chain to do the work, rather I will do my homework and find a reputable local business.

Regarding Maplin, I have not used them in years. I always found them way overpriced - we have a little hardware shop in my hometown that has been there since before I was born, and despite their being a family business without the buying power of the likes of Maplin, I always got better deals there for any electrical bits and bobs. Failing that, Amazon also tends to be a cheaper option than Maplin.

Toys R Us I can't comment on - I don't have kids so no real need to go there :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 am

Toys r Us just seem to completely misjudged the way the market was going in the 90s and noughties. They invested in a lot warehousing style retail rammed with stock that doesn't shift in quantity. They should have made a proper push into online years ago but now they've missed the boat.

The high street isn't or rather shouldn't be dead. The independent trader doing something bespoke and decent quality will do well. But it's encumbant on the county council's to stimulate this by reducing business rates. Rates where I live are stupidly high for no real reason. There are some great little shops on our high street if you want something different for a gift or whatever but they all say the thing thatthats killing them is the rates.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am

We have the same issue in Fleet. It is only a little town, but the business rates are exorbitant, especially our shopping centre (or mall if you prefer the American vernacular). The result is that half the centre is empty, just boarded up shops.

You would think that common sense would prevail and they would reduce the rates in order to get more businesses setting up there, but it has been like that since it opened back in the 80s so I guess not!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:12 pm

I needed to buy a HDMI 2.0 cable a couple of months back. Nothing fancy. A meter or two. Would have cost around 40 quid from Maplin, so I got it for 6 from Amazon.

Convenience only goes so far if they're unable to provide even barely competitive pricing.
Last edited by Subway Diet on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm

I don't really understand the logic behind the council charging stupid money to small businesses. Like you say Ian seems counter to everything that apparently government are saying about supporting small business. And before anyone gets party political labour wards are equally as bad. Think I might write to the MP and see what he says.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Snowy wrote:We have the same issue in Fleet. It is only a little town, but the business rates are exorbitant, especially our shopping centre (or mall if you prefer the American vernacular). The result is that half the centre is empty, just boarded up shops.

You would think that common sense would prevail and they would reduce the rates in order to get more businesses setting up there, but it has been like that since it opened back in the 80s so I guess not!

I live up the road from you. I am in Wokingham
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Subway Diet wrote:I needed to buy a HDMI 2.0 cable a couple of months back. Nothing fancy. A meter or two. Would have cost around 40 quid from Maplin, so I got it for 6 from Amazon.

Convenience only goes so far if they're unable to provide even barely competitive pricing.

exactly the same ting happened to me. Had to get a LAN cable on the same day. Ended up buying it for something like £15 when I could of got it from eBay or Amazon for less than a fiver. So obviously never went back to Maplin.....

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:57 pm

The rates are definitely what kills a lot of high street businesses and contributes a lot to why they are so outlandish with their pricing. Councils seem pretty intent on pushing shoppers away from city centres too, the coming changes to our road network and pedestrianisation of huge swathes of main routes through the city is going to be the nail in the coffin for my city. We have two decent sized shopping centres and one of them has been 75% boarded up for years now. The public transport infrastructure already struggles to function properly, it's not going to be able to support the asinine changes that the council are intending on making.

The trade off is that it's been slowly pushing more and more shops out to big retail outlets outside of town. They're always busy and seem to be thriving, it's just awful business management that seems to have done Toys R Us and Maplin in.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:45 pm

yet strangely for all this death in the high street, car parks are ALWAYS full. Go figure

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Snowy wrote:We have the same issue in Fleet. It is only a little town, but the business rates are exorbitant, especially our shopping centre (or mall if you prefer the American vernacular). The result is that half the centre is empty, just boarded up shops.

You will have to come along next time Sly and I meet up for a pint (he is in Basingstoke) 8)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Snowy wrote:
Achtung Englander wrote:

You will have to come along next time Sly and I meet up for a pint (he is in Basingstoke) 8)

Deffo! Was thinking about this just the other day, funnily enough.

Jez has also said as another localish lad he's up for it, though by the sound of it it probably won't be for the next four months at least :lol:
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:34 pm

I used to be sort of localish - I lived in High Wycombe - but moved to Cornwall around the time I started posting on PW. I could have come too. :(

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Achtung Englander wrote:

Deffo! Was thinking about this just the other day, funnily enough.

Jez has also said as another localish lad he's up for it, though by the sound of it it probably won't be for the next four months at least :lol:

definitely let me know when you guys want to meet next

Next

Return to General & Real World