Firefox Quantum Released

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Prey
Admin

Firefox Quantum Released

Postby Prey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 am

Mozilla has announced and launched their brand new browser Firefox Quantum in a bid to rival Chrome...

It’s fast. Really fast. Firefox Quantum is over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand new technology stolen from our advanced research group, and graced with a beautiful new look designed to get out of the way and let you do what you do best: surf a ton of pages, open a zillion tabs, all guilt free because Firefox Quantum uses less memory than the competition. Your computer will thank you.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/1 ... x-quantum/

You can download and give it a whirl yourself direct from here - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

I'm an Opera man myself and have been for many years now but I'm more than willing to give this a go.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Firefox Quantum Released

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 am

I use Firefox and I think it's auto-updated. It certainly looks like the browser at that link anyway, and everything's weird and confusing.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 am

Bloody hell it's fast.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 pm

In this day and age I'm far more concerned with how secure it is than how fast it is or how much memory it uses. I'll hold off until security experts have put it to task.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Wrathbone wrote:In this day and age I'm far more concerned with how secure it is than how fast it is or how much memory it uses. I'll hold off until security experts have put it to task.

I slightly wish it had given me the choice :lol:
My face is tired.

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I'll give this a try, thanks.

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Still no easy way to get the fucking tabs bar at the bottom of the address bar ffs, and it looks like Classic Theme Restorer isn't going to be released for the new edition.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 am

I have to say this is actually a very impressive release and as Katarn says using it compared to other browsers it genuinely feels like the fastest browser experience I've had in a long long time. It has that snappy instant feeling you long for with pages loading in the blink of an eye and it's made me much more aware of my new connection speeds compared to what I was using previously. Even more impressive is just how low the cpu and gpu usage is when watching say something like youtube in 1080p/60 with the cpu level at no higher than 13-21% compared to 35% or more in Opera and the gpu at a really impressive 7% compared the 28-30% back when I ran it in Opera.

Firefox has been a browser I once stood firmly by but slowly but surely became one that just couldn't match the likes of Chrome and Opera but after using Quantum for a day or so now I've already removed both from my PC in favour of using it as my main browser - the difference speaks for itself every single time I load up a new tab. Great job Mozilla, looks like you regained a fan once again.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Its OK.

I honestly cannot see it being faster than Opera to be honest. I do like the simplicity of the design.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Return to General & Real World