Postby Oct » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Snowy wrote:Run, Rich, Run!

I just bought one to go in my switch.
Was moondog, now Oct.

Tichinde

Re: Black Friday 2017

Postby Tichinde » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Philips hue and Alexa bundle ¬¬
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

I was also really tempted by that, but I've spent far too much already and honestly the only thing I would use Alexa for is 'lights on/lights off' so it really would be a waste of money. I really want those lights though..

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 am

It's the lights for me too, if the Echo is guff I suspect I'll be able to flip it for a bit anyway so cheap lights either way
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 am

It's a bit rubbish that they only offered the coloured lights with the more expensive Echo, although these sales do usually have just standard Hue light starter packs. There were some last week but presumably they've sold out. If you wait for christmas they'll probably be another sale with them in.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 am

I bought an echo, a dot and Hue lights last year. The lights both the wife and I utterly love, nice to be able to adjust the room's lighting on the fly and the range of colours is great. You will be happy with your buyings I think.

I use the echo more than I thought I would too. It often gets linked to my phone while I am working/bimbling/cooking and used just for a speaker, but I use it a fair amount for echo-y stuff too - weather and travel reports, news updates, random questions.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 am

If I was a burglar, I'd stand in the middle of a suburban neighbourhood and shout at the top of my voice "ALEXA! PLAY SPICE GIRLS AT FULL VOLUME!", then make a note of the houses telling me what they want, what they really-really want. Then I'd go to each of them and shout through the letterbox "ALEXA! BUY [expensive stuff] FROM AMAZON!". Then the next day I'd linger round waiting for the delivery guy then accept delivery as I pretended to be unlocking the door.

Yeah, I'm not buying an Echo. :lol:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:34 am

Lee has your screen arrived yet? Also others who have ultra wide screens, how do you find them in windows? Does everything look OK with the different aspect ratio?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 am

I couldn't ever go back to using a standard widescreen monitor after using an ultrawide. I bought my first three or four years back, and replaced it a few months ago with a gorgeous Dell 34" 1440p one with a slight curve to it. Working with two windows side by side with no bevel in between, something that works far better with an ultrawide, just makes windows applications easier and nicer to use, and then I have the option of fullscreening things like Lightroom for a massive work area.

I couldn't recommend ultrawides enough.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am

Windows looks fine, just the occassional game doesn't do something correctly (usually older games) which in the worst case scenario you have to run windowed at a lower res or else look for hacks online.

Still the best for watching 21:9 videos natively :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Raid wrote:I couldn't ever go back to using a standard widescreen monitor after using an ultrawide. I bought my first three or four years back, and replaced it a few months ago with a gorgeous Dell 34" 1440p one with a slight curve to it. Working with two windows side by side with no bevel in between, something that works far better with an ultrawide, just makes windows applications easier and nicer to use, and then I have the option of fullscreening things like Lightroom for a massive work area.

I couldn't recommend ultrawides enough.

This.

From gaming split screen to one contiguous screen just looks the business, plus the amount of screen you have to play with for applications is fabulous. For a lot of reviewing, comparison, lifting content from one application into another (writing reports etc for me) to be able to have multiple windows open side by side you just can't come back from.

Try it and you won't go back.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info all. I'm probably going to leave it until after Christmas now as there is no pressing need to get a new monitor right now.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:19 pm

You don't have an ultrawide, that's pressing. ¬_¬

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Lee has your screen arrived yet? Also others who have ultra wide screens, how do you find them in windows? Does everything look OK with the different aspect ratio?

Oh Aye it arrived last Friday and has been awesome for gaming so far :) Windows is pretty good as you can have two webpages up at once to read or youtube while browsing another.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Raid wrote:You don't have an ultrawide, that's pressing. ¬_¬

Again, this :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World