Las Vegas Mass Shooting 50+ Dead

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Las Vegas Mass Shooting 50+ Dead

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 pm

At least 50 people have been killed and another 200 have been wounded in a mass shooting at a Las Vegas concert.

A gunman, named as 64-year-old local resident Stephen Paddock, opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel towards an open-air music festival.

He was shot dead by officers in the hotel where a number of guns were found.

The attack is the worst mass shooting in recent US history.

US President Donald Trump tweeted his "warmest condolences and sympathies" to the victims and their families, and called the shooting "terrible".

Sheriff Joe Lombardo described the shooting as a "lone wolf" attack. He said there was no information about Paddock's motives.

"We have no idea what his belief system was," he said.

He added that police were now confident they had located a woman, earlier named as Marilou Danley, who was thought to have been travelling with the gunman before the attack.

Sheriff Lombardo said he was unable to give accurate details of dead and wounded, but confirmed two off-duty police officers were among those killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41466116
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Jez

Re: Las Vegas Mass Shooting 50+ Dead

Postby Jez » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Awful.

Does trumps comment - warmest condolences and sympathies....does that read funny to you guys? Would you say "warmest" in this context?

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Jez wrote:Awful.

Does trumps comment - warmest condolences and sympathies....does that read funny to you guys? Would you say "warmest" in this context?

I thought that - surely it's 'Deepest'?

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm

Jesus, that is insane!!

As for Trump, the Edwin will somehow make the tragedy about him in his next rally, but worry not he's still behind the 2nd Amendment.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:57 pm

I've seen at least one video of the incident, and it sounded like a warzone. The guy was seemingly stood in his hotel room emptying magazine after magazine of ammunition into the crowd, at a range of what looks to be about 400-500m. It was clearly an automatic weapon.

Jez wrote:Does trumps comment - warmest condolences and sympathies....does that read funny to you guys? Would you say "warmest" in this context?

It sounds a little odd, but Trump's grasp of the English language has always been a little tenuous. I don't think it's worth reading anything into it.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Just a horrible thing to have happened, in a weekend of horrible things happening.

Apparently there are early reports/rumours that he and his wife/girlfriend were thrown out of the concert earlier that evening, and she was wandering around nearby saying people were going to die (not sure if that's in a 'warning them' kind of way, or a gloating kind of way).
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Some are saying it could be a belt-fed machine gun going on the sounds, perhaps old army issue, which is insane to even think about.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:57 pm

The death toll's gone up to 58, and injured up to 515. I hope the new numbers of injured are only minor injuries or flesh wounds or something, because these numbers are horrific.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:13 pm

What the actual hell...

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Raid wrote:The death toll's gone up to 58, and injured up to 515. I hope the new numbers of injured are only minor injuries or flesh wounds or something, because these numbers are horrific.

Biggest death toll in modern-times US. Orlando had 49 fatalities, which at the time it happened was the biggest.

Horrid.

In terms of motive all I can glean from the BBC reports is that it looks like there was a lot of gambling related money going in and out of his accounts recently (in the tens of thousands of dollars), and out of pure supposition am guessing that he suffered big losses and snapped.

Saw an interview with his brother. The whole family is mystified and horrified. He was a 64 year old retired accountant with no previous interest in guns or military background. Just a normal guy... until something snaps in his brain and he kills nearly 60 people.
My face is tired.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Islamic State are trying to claim this was done in their name (as usual), although no proof of that at all at present. And the woman who's picture they showed as connected was apparently out of the country at the time of the incident.

Police named the man they believe was responsible as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, who lived in a retirement community in Mesquite, Nevada. They have not said anything about a motive.

Sheriff Joe Lombardo said officers found "in excess of 10" rifles in his room.

"We have no investigative information or background associated with this individual that is derogatory," Sheriff Lombardo said.

"The only thing we can tell is that he received a citation several years ago and that citation was handled as a matter of normal practice in the court system."

Officers believe he had been in the hotel since 28 September.

His brother Eric Paddock told Reuters news agency: "We have no idea (about a motive). We're horrified. We're bewildered and our condolences go out to the victims."

The so-called Islamic State group said it was behind the attack, although they offered no evidence.

"The Las Vegas attacker converted to Islam a few months ago," the group said in a statement.

The FBI said they had found "no connection" with international terrorism.

There was an appeal to find another "person of interest" named Marilou Danley, 62, who officials say was travelling with the gunman before the shooting.

She is now believed have been out of the country and is not a suspect, police said.

Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:39 pm

So sad here today :( My daughter Kate, who lives in Vegas at the moment, happens to be here in Northern California, so at least I don't have her to worry about. Senseless and horrifying

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:19 pm

How do you sneak ten rifles and a lot of ammunition into a hotel room?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 am

In a big trunk? I doubt any hotel would blink at the eye of such a thing to be honest Edwin. Afterall he did satay there for what 4 days?
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 am

Injuring over 500 is incredible. He must have used something like an AA gun.

Next

Return to General & Real World