The seasoned traveller thread

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Rossell

The seasoned traveller thread

Postby Rossell » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:00 am

....Because I'm not and I need help.

Heading to New York in mid November and am researching clothes to wear for a start. Looking around and everyone is recommending lots of layers naturally, ie. big coat, cardi, etc. Anyone here got any hints and tips for surviving nearly two weeks? Also regardless of clothes, I think I've got most things licked but any advice is welcome.

Jez

Re: The seasoned traveller thread

Postby Jez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:10 am

With any trip.

Double the money half the baggage.

I'd take light personally for where you are going just a few warm favourites. Dont go buying here for it..Clothes are cheap and plentiful in new York of course. Anything you might not bring can be easily bought.

NG

Postby NG » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Put a ribbon or small piece of string on your suitcase (or handle) so that you can easily see & identify yours.

If you're taking bank or credit cards, store the numbers to call from abroad on your phone. If you have them nicked then you're going to be wasting time finding the contact numbers to report them lost/stolen. Contact details should be on the back of your cards.

I also agree with Jez about going light on your luggage. Take or buy some wool clothing, with a zipper or buttons so that you can easily adjust them to the environment rather than having to take it completely off or put it on.

If you're going with any female relatives/friends, I'd advise them to take an average or ugly looking purse or handbang for their small things, cash, phone etc thieves are less likely to target them than if they were in a fancy looking purse/handbag.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm

I'd imagine Achtung is your man for travel advise regards the US.

From my own experience, the TSA have no sense of humor so just do as your told and roll with it. New Yorkers have this reputation as being assholes but I found them quite friendly.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks for the tips chaps. I'm not going to be in New York itself for the first half so probably going to need packing for that half at least until I get to NY and find Macy's. Got myself a thermal jacket that might be slightly overkill but could be useful. Also waiting to hear back on my Visa (fingers crossed).

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 pm

You mean ESTA? ¬_¬
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Yeah that :D

Return to General & Real World