London Tower Block 'Major Incident'

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Prey
Admin

London Tower Block 'Major Incident'

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:39 am

10 to 15 residents believed to have died. 50 in Hospital. 150 residents lived in the block in total.

Theresa May’s new chief of staff was one of a series of housing ministers who “sat on” a report warning high-rise blocks like Grenfell Tower were vulnerable to fire for four years.

A former Chief Fire Officer who and secretary of a parliamentary group on fire safety today revealed successive ministers had had damning evidence on their desks since 2013 and nothing had happened.

And the Labour MP who chairs the group said ministers had “sat on” the recommendations for almost four years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Groups had been actively warning that the building was a death trap for years but their words went ignored.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: London Tower Block 'Major Incident'

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 am

Have been following the live news feed on the BBC. Horrifying stuff, can't even imagine what it must be/have been like for the people trapped in the tower. Sounds like the govt shelved plans for a fire safety review of tower blocks earlier this year.

Hopefully there'll be an inquiry into this, to identify those responsible and ensure it won't happen again.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:45 am

Reports that a mother threw her baby from a 9th floor apartment and was caught by an onlooker on the ground below. A faulty fridge or possibly even dodgy wiring is said to have started the blaze on the 4th floor.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am

Prey wrote:Reports that a mother threw her baby from a 9th floor apartment and was caught by an onlooker on the ground below. A faulty fridge or possibly even dodgy wiring is said to have started the blaze on the 4th floor.

Good catch! Hope the death toll is a lot smaller than it looks like it could be.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:54 am

A faulty fridge is now said to have been the cause of the fire on the 4th floor.

Sat here now not able to even imagine how surviving persons and families lives have been impacted over this, those who have managed to get out will have lost everything they owned and seeing some of the news interviews is nothing short of heartbreaking.

As always though London locales quickly rallied round bringing fresh food, water and aid to others. Seeing this high building smouldering as helicopters circle it from above is taking me right back to when I sat watching 9/11 play out albeit on a smaller if no less tragic scale.

My thoughts go out to those involved.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Been following this story since about 4am. Utterly distressing. I don't know what else to say.

Latest numbers is 6 dead and 74 hospitalised. Tragic, but it could have been much, much worse.
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

This is just awful. It looks like the cladding on the outside of the building caught fire and spread it across the surface. The block was renovated last year. I'm no expert on building regulations, but I'm fairly sure that's not supposed to happen.

And look, there's an action group for this specific building.
It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders.

I get the feeling there'll be people going to prison for this.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Someone has to be held accountable. Even in the above interview the on camera resident paints an extremely grim picture of the terrible living conditions inside the building and as painful as it is to say it seems it was only a matter of time before something like this occurred.

Manslaughter charges await somebody I'm almost certain as that action group report from 2016 clearly states...

It is our conviction that a serious fire in a tower block or similar high density residential property is the most likely reason that those who wield power at the KCTMO will be found out and brought to justice! We have blogged many times on the subject of fire safety at Grenfell Tower and we believe that these investigations will become part of damning evidence of the poor safety record of the KCTMO should a fire affect any other of their properties and cause the loss of life that we are predicting.

Modern living folks. Make money and give not a single fuck about anyone you should actually be looking after properly. Emergency fire services are calling the incident 'unprecedented in scale' and 'the first of its type in over 20 years.'

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Been following this story since about 4am. Utterly distressing. I don't know what else to say.

Latest numbers is 6 dead and 74 hospitalised. Tragic, but it could have been much, much worse.

Emergency services are saying they expect the figures to rise, sadly. I would guess that firefighters have barely even begun the process of going from flat to flat searching for survivors or bodies... if indeed they even will, given there seems to be a significant risk of the building collapsing.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Watched footage of the fire in the early hours and was just stunned at how horrific it looked. Just absolutely awful.

Some heads should probably roll for this given how much the resident's were concerned about something like this happening and it falling on deaf ears. Not enforcing the installation of proper fire safety equipment into large buildings like that because it might 'deter investment and house building due to the costs' is an absolutely disgusting reason.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Death toll has risen to 12 and with the fire department only able to reach floor 12 anyone above probably perished in the fire which means around half of the 400-600 occupants of the tower could be dead.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:09 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Death toll has risen to 12 and with the fire department only able to reach floor 12 anyone above probably perished in the fire which means around half of the 400-600 occupants of the tower could be dead.
Oh.

Not sure what I expected. Blind optimism that maybe it wasn't as bad as it looked?
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:56 pm

I guess you based that optimism on the fact that modern buildings tend to be relatively safe because of strict safety provisions. The safety advice given to residents was to stay in their flats unless in immediate danger, because fire doors should keep fires in single homes contained. That doesn't really work if the fire spreads to the outside of the building, shattering windows and then presumably setting fire to curtains.

I'm horrified not only for the human tragedy, but also for the fact that this should have been avoided. Apparently there was a report on tower block safety that a succession of Tory housing ministers did nothing with. That was published in 2013. One of those ministers just became Theresa May's chief of staff.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:37 pm

So the government may have caused the deaths of more than every terror attack combined. Impressive..... :?
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Without being funny either but that block of flats was built in 74. Plenty of labour governments since then. Political point scoring on this one is moot.

Next

Return to General & Real World