Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:21 am

Petition to get proper fire safety measures installed in all high rises:

https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp ... -buildings
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: London Tower Block 'Major Incident'

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 am

I know the election is all done, but I thought the responses of the two party leaders spoke volumes. Corbyn visited the scene, met people affected by the tragedy, and from the photos I have seen is genuinely empathising. May also visited, but did not meet anyone affected - she just seems to lack that human connection.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:46 am

There are waxworks in Madame Tussaud's that can form better human connections than May.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:47 am

Corbyn has set his sights on rehousing those in need in empty luxury houses in the Kensington area...

"Kensington is a tale of two cities. The south part of Kensington is incredibly wealthy, it’s the wealthiest part of the whole country."

“The ward where this fire took place is, I think, the poorest ward in the whole country and properties must be found – requisitioned if necessary – to make sure those residents do get re-housed locally.

“It can’t be acceptable that in London we have luxury buildings and luxury flats left empty as land banking for the future while the homeless and the poor look for somewhere to live.”

30 have now been confirmed dead with numbers expected to rise.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:23 pm

The final number is going to be dreadful isn't it?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 pm

My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm

This basically kills the argument against regulation of property development stone dead doesn't it.

When you're building dwellings, particularly on such a large scale as this with so many people living in a single building, you need to be held accountable to very stringent safety standards. Trying to do things as cheap as possible to cream a little more for your profit margins is downright immoral when you could potentially be putting thousands of lives at risk.

Some of the comments on the Daily Mail page about Corbyn suggesting re-housing those who escaped in empty properties are downright disgusting too, calling him a communist etc. etc. But then this seems to be the world we're hurtling ever faster towards; zero compassion towards people and no consideration of the lives you might be risking in the quest for bigger profits.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:38 pm

The Prime Minister is currently in a church nearby and there are a lot of very angry protesters outside it. One has already been arrested. People really are very angry about this, it could kick off quite easily it seems.

May cited security concerns for why she didn't go meet the residents who had been affected by this, but the bloody Queen has been down there and met them!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm

In fairness, I imagine fewer people would like to see the Queen harmed.

And it's already starting to kick off; a group of very angry people stormed the council offices demanding justice: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40298473

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Mantis wrote:May cited security concerns for why she didn't go meet the residents who had been affected by this, but the bloody Queen has been down there and met them!

Twitter wrote:Image
Theresa May : "I couldn't speak to residents of Grenfell Tower because of security concerns"
The Queen : "Hold my crown..."
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Let be fair here about that picture. That's going to be a hand picked and very small group under very watchful and many eyes. If May did that then you guys would be calling her for it. She can't do right for doing wrong deservedly or not.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:28 pm

People are understandably very angry at the moment mate and May has become the focus for it rightly or wrongly. She's the PM so has to eat that shit sandwich.

Heard a police spokesman say earlier that they suspect at least 60 dead with possibly dozens more, most of whom will never be identified. Fuck :(

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:35 pm

I'll give you that Jez, that group would likely have had background checks the lot. Been in the company of a royal and everything is thorough.

However May is the PM (I think) and needs to take the lead in this and not meeting with the victims isnt going to help the image.

And five grand for fire proof cladding, surely somebody could have calculated the liability it was against the extra cost.

Edit: Animal got there before me. Also don't forget the flak that Sadiq Khan is getting and he hasn't been mayor that long. Regardless of how long you've been in the job, if it happens on your watch, it's your fault.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Jez wrote:Let be fair here about that picture. That's going to be a hand picked and very small group under very watchful and many eyes. If May did that then you guys would be calling her for it. She can't do right for doing wrong deservedly or not.

And why couldn't May meet with an equally hand picked collection of survivors? Regardless of what the reaction would be it would be a damn sight better than how she did handle it.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:31 pm

All of this talk surrounding Lilly Allen and how she was told directly by a fireman that there were 150 dead and the government are attempting to keep the number as low as possible to avoid mass rioting/hysteria. Then she gets axed from her slot on Newsnight which some are taking as so called proof of an obvious deception.

"They are off-the-record numbers I have been given from policemen and from firemen."

There may be some truth in them downplaying the numbers but it's also completely understandable that the 12, then 17, then 30 numbers will rise periodically over the next few days and could quite easily sadly hit that 150 number tally, if not beyond.

Tensions continue to rise with protesters sporting banners calling the government murderers, scum and so on. Oh and the idiot who posted both a picture and video of a victim on Facebook for all to see who tragically had jumped on fire from the building asking if anyone knew who it was while opening a body bag just received 3 months in prison. Deserved. Fucking prick.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World