London Tower Block 'Major Incident'

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Mantis
Admin

Re: London Tower Block 'Major Incident'

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm

I think it's more the fact that the company running the building have consistently ignored complaints and fears from residents that the building was potentially very unsafe, and that when they renovated the place they opted to put a seemingly flammable plastic cladding around the building rather than investing in proper fire warning system or sprinkler equipment. There's been an online blog for the community run since 2013 that warned this exact thing could happen, in fact some of the posts dated more than a year ago precisely say that it would take a large scale incident like this to actually bring the problem to people's attentions.

The Tories responsibilities rests with the lack of legislation and repeated votes over the last 7 years against requiring landlords to maintain certain levels of safety and habitability for their properties because it would hurt their profits. Obviously the large cuts to the fire service could play into it too but probably isn't as relevant here considering how good a job they've done in saving people and getting the fire out, but they are being worked ragged it seems.

Either way, somebody could easily go to jail for this.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Jez wrote:Without being funny either but that block of flats was built in 74.

It underwent a massive modernisation that ended last year. The cladding was added at that point.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:55 pm

That was the government's fault was it? Not maybe the constructors?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm

The cladding in question had received no kind of updated safety checks made on it for over 11 years one report said. They just slapped it on and had the council sign off on it.

One particular 20 second video has stuck with me which showed a lone silhouetted figure stood in a window with an orange glow filling the room behind and at one point the figure seems to just fall to one side and isn't seen again. I have little idea if I just witnessed someone simply succumb to smoke or even burn to death but I do know that that image will stick with me for a long time to come. The UK has awoke to so many horrific days recently I'm saddened to say that it almost doesn't phase me any longer.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:32 pm

People should really think before sharing these kinds of videos online. Apparently there's one doing the rounds on Facebook that a woman filmed inside the building itself at about 2am showing the corridors full of smoke and it's not known whether she actually made it out or not. I don't know how accurate that is though.

Besides the effect it may have on people watching those videos, think of those who don't know whether someone they're close to has even managed to get out of the building alive; or they know they died or are in hospital with life threatening burns etc. I think it's a somewhat insensitive to be uploading videos like that. Imagine finding out that your loved one didn't make it out because you saw them succumbing to smoke at a window on some video online.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:16 am

A man has been arrested for allegedly uncovering a blaze victim's body near Grenfell Tower and posting sick photos of the remains on Facebook.

The suspect is accused of uploading the disturbing photos to his Facebook page this morning as hundreds of firefighters were still battling to save lives in the tower block inferno.

He asked Facebook friends: "Does anyone know this body laying outside my flat for more than two hours?"

What the actual fuck?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 am

Up to 17 dead now. They've brought in dogs to help the search teams.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:11 am

It's a lot of folk but I'm still astounded by the "low" numbers. Especially as it seemed like the thing went up very very quickly.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:42 am

I think search efforts are being hampered by the damage to the building (they've said the search could take weeks), and there are still 17 people in critical condition in hospitals. The authorities aren't giving the figure of people that are still missing as it would be "wrong and incredibly distressing." The building is still actually burning in places.

What I find astounding is that the tower apparently only has one staircase. Lifts obviously aren't useable during a fire, so that only leaves one escape route for 120 flats. Surely even in the 70s that should have been seen as a bad idea. The fire started on the 4th floor of 24 and firefighters weren't able to make it past the 12th.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:42 am

Jez wrote:It's a lot of folk but I'm still astounded by the "low" numbers. Especially as it seemed like the thing went up very very quickly.

I still imagine there's a lot of floors they haven't even reached yet, and the upper floors are where the fewest people were able to evacuate, I think. Seems like a lot of people unaccounted for still, if they thought there were around 500 inhabitants.
My face is tired.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Aye, I would expect to put a zero on the end of that casualty count, at least.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Theresa May visits the tower... and doesn't speak to any of the survivors.
My face is tired.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:31 pm

I think they've been through enough tbh.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 pm

The Daily Mail have published the name and photos of the man whose faulty fridge apparently started the fire. What possible good could come from that? I'm routinely disgusted by "journalism" in this country, but that's pretty fucking low, even for the Mail.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World