Manchester - Confirmed Bomb Attack :(

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Paul

Re: Manchester - Confirmed Bomb Attack :(

Postby Paul » Thu May 25, 2017 7:15 am

Two of the kids my wife teaches were caught in the attack.

One of the kids is now sans both legs; the other (his sister) is in a body bag.

They were good kids too, apparently. Year 10.

I've seen my wife cry only a handful of times (she's a machine) but when she received that news, she was devastated.

It should go without saying that any attack on innocent life is a tragedy, but this? This was far too close to home. This has knocked me sideways.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 am

That's really horrible.... :cry:

I'm really sorry for those of you impacted, whether directly or indirectly, by this insane attack.

I spent a lot of time the other day in the office trying to contact my UK colleagues, many of whom have children in the age demographic, to see if anyone was impacted. Fortunately, it seems ok for the most part. A few people knew others from their friends or neighbourhood that were, but i have no details. Our Manchester office is on Deansgate, which isn't far from the location. They were all shipped off to the Leeds office the day after, i gather.

I wish there was an easy answer to stop all this pointless violence...
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 am

Paul wrote:Two of the kids my wife teaches were caught in the attack.

One of the kids is now sans both legs; the other (his sister) is in a body bag.

They were good kids too, apparently. Year 10.

I've seen my wife cry only a handful of times (she's a machine) but when she received that news, she was devastated.

It should go without saying that any attack on innocent life is a tragedy, but this? This was far too close to home. This has knocked me sideways.

Awful Paul. Hope the wife is OK.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am

So sorry to hear that Paul, I just have no words, just feel sickened by what happened. Thoughts are with the kids and their families.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am

Paul wrote:This was far too close to home. This has knocked me sideways.

Same. I think this is the first terror attack in my lifetime that I've had personal connections to.

But it's the fact that many of the victims are so young that feels like such a gut punch. Year 10s are what, 14? People that young should not be needing to deal with this sort of tragedy. It's potentially life ruining for people of any age, and it's just so cruel.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu May 25, 2017 3:41 pm

According to the daily mail it was Arianas fault for being sexy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -hate.html
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu May 25, 2017 3:56 pm

The media reaction to this whole thing has been almost as distasteful as the attack itself. Hate only begets hate. I cringed at reading the headlines over the last couple of days and how they will serve to push attitudes in this country further to the right. Ultimately people's opposition towards terrorism manifests as racist attitudes towards innocents.

I'm just waiting to see which politician jumps on it first as a means of trying to further their agenda. I imagine it will be either the Tories or UKIP.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm

I've not seen any stories of reactionary hatred coming from Manchester itself,which perhaps shows that the media's frequently awful reporting isn't actually having much effect.

Besides, we know from the manifesto that the tories are entirely up for destroying the internet as we know it and curtailing other freedoms anyway.

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri May 26, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks guys. The wife is doing better - life has to go on and all that.

Mantis wrote:The media reaction to this whole thing has been almost as distasteful as the attack itself. Hate only begets hate. I cringed at reading the headlines over the last couple of days and how they will serve to push attitudes in this country further to the right. Ultimately people's opposition towards terrorism manifests as racist attitudes towards innocents.

I'm just waiting to see which politician jumps on it first as a means of trying to further their agenda. I imagine it will be either the Tories or UKIP.

I haven't seen any 'hate' coming from the media. Granted, I may not be looking in the right places.

There seems to be a far greater issue around the fact that nobody has the backbone to take the hard line with any of this. People are apparently more concerned with avoiding arbitrary labels than they are taking effective action to curb this bullshit.

... but, y'know. Whatever.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri May 26, 2017 11:30 am

Paul wrote:There seems to be a far greater issue around the fact that nobody has the backbone to take the hard line with any of this. People are apparently more concerned with avoiding arbitrary labels than they are taking effective action to curb this bullshit.

... but, y'know. Whatever.

What, no-one is standing up and preventing terrorism? How exactly do you do that? What is the hard line here? We're already living in a world of mass-scale communications monitoring and blanket CCTV in public areas, and it's still not enough to prevent 100% of attacks.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 26, 2017 11:49 am

There is also a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes with the police and intelligence agencies devoting resources to watch lists and other such measures. They don't catch every nutcase that flags up though because the resources and staff just aren't there for that level of work.

In the face of the fact we have some of the most demoralised public services we've had in years due to rampant dismantling of the state, I think they do a rather good job.

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Oh, no doubt - I know individuals who work in such areas. They do superb work. I obviously wasn't clear in my previous post, because there is no doubt in my mind that we have exceptional anti-terrorism measures.

My beef lies with the media and the politicians... but we can get in to that another time, I guess. I don't want to sound like a cop out, but fuck - I'll be the first to admit that my usual ability to remain level-headed and pragmatic about these issues has been somewhat compromised. As I said previously, this one was far too close to home and has directly affected people very close to me. Truth be told, just beneath the surface I'm still seething with anger.

[EDIT] The seething with anger part is a lie at the moment, because drugs.

But later this evening... :(

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:44 pm

BBC reporting that a van has smashed into people on London Bridge, armed police on the scene:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40146916?n ... ws_central
My face is tired.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Fucks sake.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Sky and the BBC showed a clip they found on twitter that had a guy in the background shouting "fucking muslim cunts" without editing it. So far the BBC have apologised and Sky haven't noticed.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World