Tanks great collection of wonderful!

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Tank

Tanks great collection of wonderful!

Postby Tank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Oh, Hello there!

Welcome to own little corner of this fine forum.

On the following pages I will be sharing some of my latest acquisitions for my ever growing collection of awesome! I invite you ask questions, comment and fear for my bank balance/sanity as you gain a small insight into what a 33 year old man child spends his days pursuing.

Enjoy.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Tank

Re: Tanks great collection of wonderful!

Postby Tank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Sideshow Premium Format 1/4 Scale - The Punisher

First off is this wonderful piece I have been looking to add to my collection for some time now and finally snagged one from a lovely man in Germany.

One of the most common criticisms I hear about this statue is the choice of outfit (for those who are unsure Frank Castle first outfit was the one you see here) but it's one of the things I love most about the piece. The Punisher I fell for was the extremely gritty and ultra violent Garth Ennis interpretation yet even with the classic costume being used here this statue of Frank looks incredible, and is no less intimidating for it. The glare/scowl on the face is Castle to a T.

I also like the subtle touches that hint at Franks intentions. The Automatic Shotgun is there for shock and awe, turn a few wise guys into human paint and the odds quickly swing in your favour. The Colt Pistol on the hip allows for plenty of small entry wounds and huge exit wounds to really get your point across. The finishing touch is the wonderful up close and personal combo of the boot knife and knuckle duster; make them talk with one and fillet them with the other one. That’s a night’s work for Frank!

It’s also nice to see Sideshow make and effort with the base. They could have phoned it in with a very bog standard rubble/strewn debris base but I think this is far more iconic.

Over all a great piece for the collection and a wonderful kick off to my Punisher collection (well, that isn't just comics anyway).
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Cool. How big is that, about 16 inches?

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:56 pm

From the tip of the gun to the bottom of the base its 23 inches. Standard 1/4 scale format is usually about 2ft give or take.

Tank

Postby Tank » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:46 am

61 Views! Man alive I do believe we are going viral!

Any way, on with one of the odder but none the less cooler pieces in my horde of wonderful!

First off though a little history.

Since about the late 80s collectors have often wanted particular pieces and simply haven't been able to get hold of them purely for the fact they didn't exist. Before the companies that exist today it was extremely difficult to get any good statues/figues/model kits unless they already existed based on very established and popular franchises. This created the concept of "garage" kits and customs that whilst frowned upon by the official brass collectors often lapped up purely because of lack of options.

I remember being at Memorabilia 99 and seeing a garage model kit of Neo from the Matrix. Molded rather professionally in cold case poly stone it looked really good. What also made it intriguing was that it had no official direct competition for its place in a collection. McFarlanes action figure line was somewhat wanting and the rest was just t shirts and posters. There were 2 downsides to this though, one funny and one just a fact. The first funny downside was the creators of these pieces obviously couldn't name them after there franchises/characters names as that would be a direct copyright infringement. At least if they changed the name they could plead a certain amount of ignorance should there collar get felt. So the Neo piece for example was called "Chosen One" and at the same show I saw a Korbon Dallas from the 5th Element called "Future Taxi Man" (some where cleverer than others). The other downside was of course the cost, having no direct competition meant that kit makers and distributors where pretty much free to charge what they liked.

So we fast forward to today and whilst the concept of the garage kit/custom is still alive and well within the collecting community, some companies have taken it upon themselves to embrace this culture of independence to an entirely new level of dedication. One such company called Arts Figures (which probably won't surprise you are based in China) has released lots of 1/6 scale figures based on relatively well known pop culture characters and to the best of my knowledge have not once looked for permission or any kind of licensing agreement.

There presence in collecting circles whilst being mostly welcome does stir some grumbles in certain corners of the internet. A lot of message boards can discussions or sales of the pieces as they risk falling a-foul of the likes of Sideshow and Hot Toys. I myself got a slap on the wrist for mentioning the following piece on the Rebellion forums.

1/6 Scale "Armored Cop"

Now I would start by saying I never intended to pick this piece up purely based on the fact that whilst I loved the latest Dredd picture my collectibles are more based around the comic book Dredd. But some pieces just cannot be ignored.

The detail on this piece is truly staggering and grows more so when you consider it is, technically speaking, a custom/garage piece from a company in China apparently not concerned with the law (ironic given the character in question). I'm not entirely sure if this is true but apparently naming it "Armored Cop" wasn't enough to stop it getting stopped in certain territories so to combat this further the R in the Dredd badge has its top left hand corner slightly rounded so it can be argued its an A and not an R. Boggles the mind.

In my opinion Rebellion truly missed a trick with this. I'm not sure how it stands legally but had I been in charge I would have arranged a deal to extend the license to them in exchange for distribution rights and made a mint because when this figure was shown on there sight no one was convinced it would as good as the picture suggested. Never have so many Dredd fans been happy to be wrong.

I actually managed to snag this for a stupidly cheap price and I couldn't be happier with it. My overwhelming love for the comic book version of Dredd aside this piece reminds me what I loved so much about Karl Urbans portrayal of Dredd. A more refined but no less brutal Dredd.

Standby for more Dredd stuff this week.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:38 am

Great picture Tank. Do you have anything from the Alien franchise?

Tank

Postby Tank » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Actually, I do have a new piece that has turned up only last week. I shall post some stuff on it tonight.

Stay tuned.

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:57 am

Awesome. I was going to buy a few pieces many years ago and I had settled on a few Aliens and the APC. Then my wife got up the duff and put the kibosh on that ¬_¬

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:32 pm

My latest Alien acquisition.

Art FX Kotobukiya Alien "Big Chap" 1/10 Scale

I added the music to the video of course but I mean, look at it! Amazing what one flickering light can do.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Great video there tank. The music from the third film?

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Thank you! And yes well spotted young man. From my favourite of the series, Alien 3.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:16 am

Today agree. Mind you we are talking about finchers directors cut here not the sub standard theatre release.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:29 am

Fellow Alien 3 fans! I knew there was a reason that I liked this forum.

That Xeno is excellent, Tank.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:14 am

That Dredd is amazing. Jelly.

Do you have anything else or are considering buying anything else from the 2000AD camp at all? Rogue? ABC? Slaine? Etc? Always wanted a Joe Pineapples myself...

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:48 pm

You being fan tank you must have some jaws stuff eh?

Next

Return to General & Real World