Daily quiz?

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Sly Boots
MILF

Daily quiz?

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:21 am

On another forum I take part in a daily trivia quiz, a site you register with, do the quiz each day and it runs a month-long tournament so at the end of it there's a winner. It's quite good fun, the quiz only takes 1-2 minutes to complete... in fact, the faster the better, as the quicker you do it, the better your score at the end.

Was thinking the other day I might set one up for this place... if I was to do that, how many would take part regularly? I think you'd need at least half a dozen regular competitors for it to be worthwhile for everyone...
My face is tired.

Quietman

Re: Daily quiz?

Postby Quietman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:33 am

I always need stuff to entertain myself at work, count me in :P
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:46 am

Excellent :)

Few more details, every day there's 10 questions, and the quiz-master can schedule different categories for each day. So one day it might be science and technology, then the next day would be films, then music etc. Other categories include geography, literature, animals, hobbies, sports, general knowledge etc.

The difficulty also varies, so one day the questions would be classed as easy, then the next would be intermediate, then difficult etc.

The idea is I'd be able to tweak it as we go to account for what categories people like or don't like. For example, the one I already do started with a sports category, but it turned out to almost exclusively be US sports like baseball, NFL etc and we were scoring so low each time it came up we decided to ditch it.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Is there any mechanism for preventing people simply from googling things, or does it rely on the honour system?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:12 pm

Raid wrote:Is there any mechanism for preventing people simply from googling things, or does it rely on the honour system?

The scoring system, mainly. You get 100 points for every correct answer, but every second you take to complete the quiz deducts one point. So, if you get 8 right in exactly a minute, your score would be 740 for the day.

I think you'd have to be a googling whiz to be able to look up an answer in a quick enough time to make it worthwhile. In practice, in order to win a given day, you have to be picking a choice pretty much within a second or two of reading through the question.

I think the honour system would also keep people on the straight and narrow, it's not like there's a cash prize or anything. :)
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Oh, it's multiple choice, by the way. Four possible answers for each question. Generally you can have a fairly educated guess even if it's not something you definitely know.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:32 pm

See, I am a googling whizz, but I also don't see much point in cheating at these things. ¬_¬

I'm in, by the way.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:42 pm

So we all know in advance to disregard Raid's score. "I'm really good at cheating, but I won't do it, promise" doesn't fly here. You scoundrel!

I'll take part in this.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:51 pm

Cool, by the look of it we should have enough for decent league, and a few more may join in as well. I'll look into setting it up at some point today.

I suggest we treat this month as a bit of a trial run, getting used to the format, pick and choosing categories etc. Unless I win, in which case it will be totally legit.
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Mantis wrote:You scoundrel!

I am going to cheat you so hard.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Cool, by the look of it we should have enough for decent league, and a few more may join in as well. I'll look into setting it up at some point today.

I suggest we treat this month as a bit of a trial run, getting used to the format, pick and choosing categories etc. Unless I win, in which case it will be totally legit.

Ha. Fair enough.

One request can we have it mixed knowledge on each rather than specific "science" or "music" or whatever.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Jez wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Cool, by the look of it we should have enough for decent league, and a few more may join in as well. I'll look into setting it up at some point today.

Ha. Fair enough.

One request can we have it mixed knowledge on each rather than specific "science" or "music" or whatever.

Maybe we can see how it goes for a week or two? I quite like the fact we get a different topic each day, it gives people a chance to shine on different days depending on their sphere of knowledge (I am pretty useless at music, it must be said), and makes the monthly league standings a bit more dynamic.

And while there's a reasonable pool of questions, if we limit ourselves to only the general knowledge categories we'll start to see the same questions again and again fairly soonish.
My face is tired.

Return to General & Real World