Dash buttons.

Exciting adventures in meat space.
eVoL

Dash buttons.

Postby eVoL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:45 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=lp_10833 ... 1473924114

What?! Smart homes are getting dumbererer by the minute. How many of these things do they expect you to hang around your house? We really are heading to that Wall-e future if we're too lazy to order our essentials and too stupid to remember to order our essentials. The mind boggles!

And even if you can justify it for some things, when are you ever going to be in such a desperate need for Play-Doh Sparkle Compound?!

#-o

.......ok the durex one might be a good idea, but only with PrimeNow ¬_¬
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Marty Fuffkin

Re: Dash buttons.

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 am

Jesus wept.

Are you meant to cart a bag load of those around just in case you forget something?

How is that any easier than simply logging into your Tesco account and adding it to your shopping list?

Then there's the matter of the batteries....it's a "No" from me.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:47 am

If ever go to someone's house and see any of these I'm pressing them all.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Marty Fuffkin wrote:Jesus wept.

Are you meant to cart a bag load of those around just in case you forget something?

I think the point is you stick them near to where you store the product so that once it runs out you can just press the button rather than just carrying them around.

I don't think they will use much power so I wouldn't have thought batteries would be an issue. How else do you power them?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Do they automatically order stuff online for you then? I don't get what they do :/

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:16 pm

They're wirelessly, or via Bluetooth, I forget, connected to your network/PC so that whenever you push the button it'll automatically order it for fast delivery via Prime on your connected Amazon account.

Can't really see any situation where I would go to the effort of setting one up though, particularly because I live 2 minutes away from a number of shops.

The concept of having an emergency Andrex button for when you're out of bog roll does amuse me quite a lot though. Just hope you push it before it's too late.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:31 pm

And just wait for the kids to get a hold of them and you have ton of some random items :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:33 pm

Lee wrote:And just wait for the kids to get a hold of them and you have ton of some random items :lol:

Reminds me of one New Years at the in-laws, where our kids' cousin (who was about two at the time), unbeknownst to any of the adults went out into the hall and called 999.

We were all quite surprised when the police arrived on the doorstep about 15 minutes later.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:29 pm

:lol:

Not the first or last to suffer that embarrassment :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:11 pm

I recall reading that they won't order more than one of a product over a set period of time, and that you can choose to have them require an authorising tap in the Amazon app.

I don't think I have anything sold by Amazon that I require often enough to make having a Dash button worthwhile, but I can understand the use case for them. I'm dreadfully forgetful, so I frequently forget that I need something once I leave the room that it's in. I imagine that if I had a couple of screaming kids and other such demands on my time it'd be even worse. Pressing a button there and then rather than having to rely on a mental note would be useful.

Why the fuck they think a Play-Doh order button is a good idea is beyond me though.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:19 am

It seems particularly superfluous because you can already set up standing orders on Amazon for regular deliveries, as we did for nappies and baby wipes once a month (tip for new/prospective parents, this is much cheaper than picking them up as you go from supermarkets). Surely you'd do that if there was something in your household you needed so critically and so often from them?
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:26 am

Sly Boots wrote:It seems particularly superfluous because you can already set up standing orders on Amazon for regular deliveries, as we did for nappies and baby wipes once a month (tip for new/prospective parents, this is much cheaper than picking them up as you go from supermarkets). Surely you'd do that if there was something in your household you needed so critically and so often from them?

My guess would be that not everyone knows when they are going to run out of something so the subscribe and save option isn't going to work for them.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:13 am

They've already essentially made these obsolete with the 50quid Echodot anyway. Hey Alexa, order me some bog roll hen.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Return to General & Real World