Trump

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Asherons

Re: Trump

Postby Asherons » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 pm

eVoL wrote:
Asherons wrote: I have shot my friends .

FFS Americans!!!

Lol maybe with some airsoft guns

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Solitaire wrote:Okay, just one more question: Explain to me why we are the ONLY country on the whole fucking planet that has this problem with gun violence? Our issues aren't fractions of percents - we own the show, hands down, without question, nobody comes close to the bloodshed that America suffers. Nobody has ever answered this question with any logical response, not ever. Not once. To ignore this fact is some seriously twisted fucking illogical bullshit.

I have a theory on that, but it is just a theory and not intended to be offensive. I am not American, I don't pretend to know what life is like in a lot of America (I live on a tiny island not a huge land-mass), and I have only spent a tiny amount of time actually in America, most of that being as a tourist.

My theory though concerns national identity. America has, for such an enormous player on the global stage, a really short history. A lot has happened in that time, but it is comparatively short. I wonder if the national identity has not been derived from the time of the founding fathers - including staunch levels of religious belief, coupled with the view that you are a nation forged by the force of human will, conquering the land in the face of adversity, the pioneer spirit.

Now those days are in the past, the US now bears no resemblance to the US then, but as it wasn't so very long ago I suspect that those beliefs are still pretty heavily ingrained in the overall American psyche. Add to it the output from the media - Hollywood always espouses that might makes right, it is rare that a film villain is arrested and the credits roll with him off to stand trial rather than heroically gunned down by the forces of good. I suspect this all reinforces that view that there is nothing that cannot be overcome with a six-shooter and god on your side, resulting in the fervent belief in the second amendment.

Now I get that that is a flimsy brush with which to paint an entire nation, but I wonder if there isn't some truth there. The US reverence for the Constitution, a 200 year old document, is a bizarre concept for me - it would be like my having a similar reverence for the Magna Carta, a rather older but equally outdated document. The Magna Carta was an important document that helped shape England, but now it is interesting only from a historical perspective, it could not define England today.

Anyway, that's my theory :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:16 pm

I think your theory is pretty accurate. Alot of Americans are extremely pro America no matter what, and our gun stance is one of those central aspects to the nation.

And even in the media alot of arguments link back to what the founding fathers wanted for the nation and their intentions when writing the Constitution.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Another thought on our culture is the "wild wild west" it was really only the wild west for like 20-30 year period but plays a huge part in our culture as well.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 am

Asherons wrote:Another thought on our culture is the "wild wild west" it was really only the wild west for like 20-30 year period but plays a huge part in our culture as well.

Yeah that was all part of my thought process, albeit with less of the wikkedy wikkedy waa waa ;)

America is generally very nationalist - stars and stripes flying from houses, that little rhyme you learn as kids (one nation, under god, indivisible etc) etc. Here in the UK you do get the occasional Union Jack flying from homes but very rarely. Almost nobody knows the words to the national anthem - the Scots love it though, especially the line "And with a mighty rush, rebellious Scots to crush" :lol:

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:37 am

Snowy wrote:...Almost nobody knows the words to the national anthem - the Scots love it though, especially the line "And with a mighty rush, rebellious Scots to crush" :lol:

Speaking of dubious national anthems: Isn't there a line in the US national anthem about killing slaves?

"No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave"

Oof. Looking into it, the British would liberate slaves, then put them on the front lines, telling them to fight their "former masters" for freedom. So, that's horrible.
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 am

Snowy wrote:Almost nobody knows the words to the national anthem

God save our gracious... Quoon?
...She lives in Brigadoon
With Racist Phil

Something like that.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 am

I know the words. Shame on you lot :lol:

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 am

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 am

Jez wrote:I know the words. Shame on you lot :lol:

Yeah but you are in the military mate, you are expected to be a raving monarchist with a towering national pride, union jack tattooed on your scrotum etc :lol:

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:10 pm

I like aspects of the monarchy but detest the hang ons.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/43202075

US President Donald Trump has said he would have run in to the Florida high school where 17 people were shot dead this month even if he was not armed.

"I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon," Mr Trump told a group of state governors gathered at the White House.

I assume he'd then do a series of Seagal-style Akaido chops to take down a corridor of baddies before looking over his shoulder and saying "clean up on aisle 6" or similar. :roll:

What a shitbag.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm

I think he would were it not for the bone spurs.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:38 pm

yep dem spurs.

OUCH

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World