Trump

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Trump

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Ho. Lee. Shit. Do me a favour and read this story. Tell me it doesn't sound like a Clancy-esque precursor to World War Three.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40175935

So lets get this straight. Trump is claiming responsibility for effectively destabilising diplomatic ties in the Persian Gulf. The Pentagon is distancing itself from Trump because Qatar houses the US military's largest air base in the middle east. Qatar's main exports are fossil fuels, which Trump has said are paramount to America's future. Opec, who effectively govern half the world's petroleum exports, are involved in this dispute. So are fucking FIFA, because suddenly Qatar can't import materials through Saudi Arabia to construct the 2022 World Cup facilities.

This is apparently being done to end the threat of global terrorism. Qatar is believed to have paid $one fucking billion to secure the release of some of its citizens including members of the ruling family, and this was paid to Islamic extremist groups and Iran. Iran is Saudi Arabia's largest rival in the region, and this would explain why they're cutting ties to Qatar.

Honestly I'm having difficulty processing this. The region is volatile enough as it is, but now, in the space of a weekend, Donald Trump has seemingly fucked it up even further. Because, y'know, the West has such a good track record when interfering in the middle east.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 am

CNN: US suspects Russian hackers planted fake news behind Qatar crisis

So, Trump taking credit for what the Russians are (supposedly) doing? #-o
I don't even know what to make of this...
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 am

'Russian hackers' seem to be the bogeymen behind everything nowadays. When asked if they had interfered with the US election Putin answered that it was possible, but not on his orders. He might as well have said "Of course not!" and given a cheeky wink to the camera.

Is this the end of progressivism? The world already feels like a more dangerous place than it did in 2015 thanks to western countries voting various people in who are stirring the pot. How far are we away from a major diplomatic incident that triggers a full scale war?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 am

Who would fight it, I wonder? I wouldn't lift a cheek and crack a fart for this country at the moment.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 am

Me neither, but then there will always be plenty of people spoiling for a fight and willing to die for the country in some far flung corner of the world, because that's patriotic somehow.

Anyway, in all likelihood the next large scale global conflict won't really involve people, just a whole lot of fire and fallout; and it won't last very long.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 am

Time to go cheer myself up with another rewatch of When The Wind Blows. Huzzah!

:cry:
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:07 am

Snowy wrote:Who would fight it, I wonder? I wouldn't lift a cheek and crack a fart for this country at the moment.

You think May wouldn't bring back the draft? You'd be able to buy yourself out by being heir to an estate worth at least £500,000 of course.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 am

Trump claims that Iran is supporting terrorism and yet Isis has just attacked the Iranian parliament building and killed several people. It's amazing how nations with a very clear common enemy are still at each others throats.

I'm guessing that Trump also didn't realise that there was a huge US base in Qatar when he posted his latest tweet. Why the fuck his tweets aren't intercepted before going public is baffling. We're basically watching the man wreak havoc in 140 characters or less.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 pm

I suspect that at nearly 47 I would probably be too old, but I can't imagine that a draft would give much in the way of results (yes, I know your comment was tongue in cheek btw ;)).

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:27 am

This is absolute chaos from my perspective in the States. God only knows what we will reap from this atrocity of an administration. There's no hope. Remove Trump, 40+ other absolute morons take his place. I wish I could live to be 200 years old, just to look back from an historical viewpoint - how the USA devolved into the trailer trash neighborhood of the planet.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:32 am

With his supporters tending to own more guns than books (generalisation!) I kind of worry that if they see him as being forced out some shit might go down that would overshadow that dickhead Pence taking over. Not revolution 2.0 but I think it's significantly higher than zero chance of an upsurge in militia style fuckery. Frycry being prophetic?

I hope not but I can see Trump making an exist speech that would, probably unintentionally, stoke it. "I tried to help the common American and the corrupt medias lies and the elite money has forced me out badly." type thing.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 am

I'm looking forward to hearing Comey's testimony. He already put out a written version of his opening statement which is pretty juicy.

More details: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -statement
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 am

Yes read that myself this morning before work. Given that all his meetings were minuted and shared with his senior FBI colleagues will make it an awful lot harder to put down to invention after the fact of his dismissal!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:32 am

And for the other end of the there's this shambles
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/07/polit ... dan-coats/

They won't say he didn't ask them for help on Russia but they won't answer the question. Not transparent at all.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

It's got to be a matter of time before it comes out that he's in neck deep with Russia. Trump has proven many times that he's thick as a plank and not a shrewd operator. If he's getting so tetchy with investigations into his associates over Russia ties I don't see how it could be for any reason than he's afraid of what they will uncover that directly links him. I'm sure they did what they could to keep him at arms length as much as possible, but there has to be a connection somewhere. It makes no sense to try and shut down investigations otherwise.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World